View Diary: MO-Sen: Dems suffering from intensity gap (246 comments)

•  There are more than two options. (2+ / 0-)
    trashablanca, ezdidit

I agree that failing to vote is a bankrupt choice.

It immediately cuts the value of your vote in half.

In the normal two-party math, a vote taken from 'D' goes to 'R'.  A vote merely taken from 'D'  has half the impact.

In multi-party math, there isn't a giant difference between sitting home and voting for some "other" party, but there is a huge message difference in several ways:

1. If, as in 1992, a significant vote goes to a third party with a clear political message, that message will be advanced as major party candidates seek to poach those voters.  Where do you think all of the deficit-cutting fervor came from during Clinton's tenure?  It was an effort to corral Perot voters.
    1.  At the very least, it identifies some number of people willing to vote, and votes that might be won.

People who don't vote don't matter.

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Tue Aug 17, 2010 at 09:28:05 AM PDT

•  And that attitude is why we'll lose big in Nov. (1+ / 0-)
      jakewaters

Give me a reason to come out. Give me a reason to vote for the politicians I once believed in.

Don't dismiss me or people like me who are disillusioned by the process and the bullshit.

If I wanted to read how much Obama sucks, I'd be on RedState, not DailyKos.
      --@jameskass

by ThatsNotFunny on Tue Aug 17, 2010 at 09:30:49 AM PDT

•  You COULD vote AGAINST them all (3+ / 0-)
        ThatsNotFunny, trashablanca, dinotrac

by writing in "None of the Above".

That NEEDS to become a viable option, and it will do so only if people actually use it.

If it's
        Not your body
        Then it's
        Not your choice
        AND it's
        None of your damn business!

by TheOtherMaven on Tue Aug 17, 2010 at 09:41:15 AM PDT

•  That is better than not voting. (0+ / 0-)

It's a distinct "I vote for something (or nothing) else", as oppposed to, "Oh, what the heck.  I'll just go along with what everybody else says".

One is something you can try to win, the other is nothing.
          There's not much upside in trying to pitch your campaign to the lazy.

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Tue Aug 17, 2010 at 11:04:42 AM PDT

•  Bingo (1+ / 0-)
        ThatsNotFunny

How about some Presedential signing statements that fire up the base tacked on to some bills?

They may be viewed inside the White House as small political potatoes but don't you think that during a famine of dissillusionment maybe that starch is enough to nourish our folks to keep the faith?

And it frames the discussion to things that democrats want and most importantly, things that democrats and progressives want to talk about.

Yes it will upset the nut-sackers and wing-nutty types and yes, it is threatening for administrationers who are crouched in a defensive positions who will have to adopt a new attitude if not a new strategy.

Hope they haven't forgotten how to go on offense.

Rahm, Gibbs and the beltway boykins  seem to just dump it in from the blue line and start skating backwards.  Hell, even Caribou Barbie could beat that system.

O, you powers that be, listen to this 'ThatsNotFunny' guy, you need his vote.

Give him a reason to go out and feel good that he's voting D, go on, I dare ya.

"I'll press your flesh, you dimwitted sumbitch! " -Pappy O'Daniel

by jakewaters on Tue Aug 17, 2010 at 10:19:57 AM PDT

•  But you will be dismissed. (0+ / 0-)

People who don't bother to vote are not high value targets.

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Tue Aug 17, 2010 at 11:05:35 AM PDT

•  People who don't bother to REGISTER are (0+ / 0-)

not high value targets. I'm registered and can probably be convinced by November. I guess that makes me a Dem-leaning liberal small-i independent, despite never voting for a Republican in my life).

I'm not lost yet. The party gives up on disillusioned unenthusiastic registered voters like me at their own peril.

If I wanted to read how much Obama sucks, I'd be on RedState, not DailyKos.
          --@jameskass

by ThatsNotFunny on Tue Aug 17, 2010 at 11:22:13 AM PDT

•  Both parties ignore the voters at their (1+ / 0-)
            ThatsNotFunny

peril, that's for sure.

The Republicans may be the beneficiaries this time around, but only because Democrats are in charge. Controlling the government is a blessing and -- if things go badly -- a curse.

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Tue Aug 17, 2010 at 11:34:06 AM PDT

• Health Care (21)
  • Rescued (21)
  • Barack Obama (20)
  • Republicans (19)
  • International (18)
  • Freddie Gray (17)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site