View Diary: 10.2.10: Fire It Up and E-mail MSNBC! (224 comments)

•  Depends on Who You're Trying to Get to DC (12+ / 0-)

Doesn't it? I'm in the hood, talking to people in the hood - the ones whose lives are most tragically affected by the very concepts of the march.

And they have not heard of it until I tell them.

So, if you want to pretend that the internet and tweetin gets you everyone who matters to a march of this type, go ahead.

If you don't stand for something, you will go for anything. Visit Maat's Feather

by shanikka on Sat Sep 18, 2010 at 09:13:05 AM PDT

•  NO (4+ / 0-)

one is pretending anything when they clearly said this:

"Messaging has been poor" in traditional media outlets, but it has NOT been for a lack of trying. It's been for a lack of cooperation.

This is not the fault of the organizers, it's the fault of those who are dropping the ball on public service announcements or advertising.

That would be the corporations who own "free tv"--which, according to you, is the only "media" that "the hood" can afford.

If Health Insurance Reform can wait until 2015, then so can any changes to Social Security.

by o the umanity on Sat Sep 18, 2010 at 09:16:15 AM PDT

•  You Know (0+ / 0-)

You could do with a little less defensiveness.  I did not excuse media at all.

by shanikka on Sat Sep 18, 2010 at 12:12:31 PM PDT

•  just as (0+ / 0-)

you could do without the smartass tone:

by o the umanity on Sat Sep 18, 2010 at 02:55:31 PM PDT

•  It Was a Tone (0+ / 0-)

That responded to YOU dismissing out of hand, just because it's upsetting to you, a legitimate concern that I raised.  Had you not gone there, you'd not have gotten what you got in terms of "tone."

by shanikka on Sat Sep 18, 2010 at 04:01:54 PM PDT

•  No, sorry (0+ / 0-)

This was not dismissive:

THIS was dismissive:

Will you be emailing MSNBC, too? Save your vitriol for them, please.

by o the umanity on Sat Sep 18, 2010 at 04:50:28 PM PDT

•  oh, and (5+ / 0-)

last I checked, unions were really good at getting into "disadvantaged neighborhoods", as is the NAACP.

The latter is a HUGE sponsor of the 10/2 rally. Perhaps some of your friends can be pointed in their direction?

by o the umanity on Sat Sep 18, 2010 at 09:25:58 AM PDT

•  Unions (2+ / 0-)
        Larsstephens, princss6

In THIS neighborhood?

You really need to read less media and spend more time in the actual 'Hood.

As far as the NAACP goes, they indeed know how to do grassroots mobilization.  But alas, they are focusing on Oakland.  So there isn't any one left but little old me to do the talking in my neighborhood 30 miles away.

Which I have been - early and often.

by shanikka on Sat Sep 18, 2010 at 12:14:18 PM PDT

•  so you'll be at the rallies, then? n/t (0+ / 0-)

by o the umanity on Sat Sep 18, 2010 at 02:55:57 PM PDT

•  I Have Read (1+ / 0-)
            conlakappa

But you've now also rewritten - because you mentioned not just the NAACP, but unions.  That's what my reply was addressed to - both of those groups.

You don't need to highlight the NAACP's involvement - I've been a member since turning 18 so I'm well aware of it.

I also find it ironic that you again ask me if I will be at the rallies when I've now answered that question not once, but twice, in the affirmative right here in this very diary.  I will be in DC.  So, next time you want to take a bullshit swing at someone about "reading" you might want to first aim the bat at your own self.

by shanikka on Sat Sep 18, 2010 at 03:59:42 PM PDT

•  oh, and (0+ / 0-)

So to answer your question, no, not unions--the NAACP.

It's hard not to be a little dismayed--which comes across in print as 'defensive' at times--when some can't be bothered to actually read what's been posted.

by o the umanity on Sat Sep 18, 2010 at 03:30:49 PM PDT

•  Shannikka (2+ / 0-)
      o the umanity, barkingcat

I know what you mean, BUT there are ppl who do know about it in the 'hood' I also TALK to them, and together we are spreading the word.

Since you have also spread the word, then keep on doing it! That's the very best way to get it around!

Also the Tom Joyner show, haven't listened to thim, but he and other talk radio hosts nationwide will also be discussing it, and if they don't that's where the best way to get it out to others.

Please vote Democratic in November. If the GOP wins we will all be forced backward another decade, who wants that?

by Wary on Sat Sep 18, 2010 at 12:48:01 PM PDT

•  Of Course I'm Going to Keep Doing It (0+ / 0-)

I'm just responding to those who somehow think that the world of the working class revolves around tweeting and blogs such that these types of limited approaches to outreach to build momentum are enough.  I wouldn't have opened my trap at all but for that.

I have not heard Tom Joyner mention it yet, but I'm happy to send an e-mail to him, to THE POWER, to Tavis, to the whole lot who have media access, so thanks for mentioning it.

by shanikka on Sat Sep 18, 2010 at 04:03:57 PM PDT

•  That's a gross mischaracterization (0+ / 0-)

you got when you responded before completely reading, near as I can tell, because nowhere is this insinuated, let alone stated:

Trad media messaging has failed for a lot of obvious reasons, many which have been pointed out in these comments by me and others.

Meanwhile, you seem to be insinuating that because "MSM" has dropped the ball, then no one "in the hood" will come to the rally. Did you really mean to leave that impression?

by o the umanity on Sat Sep 18, 2010 at 04:55:29 PM PDT

•  but of course (0+ / 0-)

I won't hold my breath waiting for you to actually clarify it. You can't do that and be in attack mode at the same time.

by o the umanity on Sat Sep 18, 2010 at 05:11:23 PM PDT