View Diary: BIG BIG BIG Victory This Week (After 20 Years of Waiting) (194 comments)

•  Are you a vegan or just anti-hormones? (20+ / 0-)

I buy organic non-homogenized milk, which is about the best I can get right now. I wish there was a local dairy farm I could buy directly from but that's a huge luxury we don't have where I live. I do the best I can.

•  i am not a vegan...i'm not a big milk (7+ / 0-)

drinker as is...but it's been only soy milk for about a decade now...the whole hormone thing has my grossed out about most chicken as well...I wish it were easier for me to be a vegetarian or even a vegan...i'm just not disciplined enough.

•  I don't know that hormones are ever used (14+ / 0-)

on chickens. Not that I know of. But they do feed them with an arsenical called Roxarsone to suppress disease and increase growth and I wouldn't be eager to eat that. I've totally lost my taste for chicken though since going veg. We've got a very sustainable source of totally organic pasture-raised chicken and I tasted it and just wasn't into it.

•  Have you noticed the average size... (10+ / 0-)

of a chicken in the stores these days? I remember when a 3 1/2 pounder was consider big. Now, I have trouble even finding one that's under 5 pounds. I don't know what they are feeding them, but I suspect it's probably not good for us!

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

by reflectionsv37 on Sat Oct 02, 2010 at 05:58:43 PM PDT

•  Don't they also pump them with water? (3+ / 0-)
          reflectionsv37, esquimaux, mos1133

The true danger in politics is when people in power elevate ideological purity over their basic humanity, empathy, and common sense. -- thereisnospoon

by alliedoc on Sun Oct 03, 2010 at 03:41:32 AM PDT

•  Always suspect the worst (1+ / 0-)
          reflectionsv37

The thing that's annoying about posts in food diaries is that when people don't know something, they make up an evil explanation to compensate.

Here's one thing I know from experience: if you don't slaughter chickens when they weigh 3 pounds, they eventually get to 5 pounds. Ours probably used to get to about 8 pounds (after butchering) because we always put things off. It also depends on the breed.

I have no idea why chickens are bigger, but here's another possibility: it costs the same to process and bag a 6 pound chicken as it does to process and bag a 3 pound chicken. But, if the price per pound is the same, a 6 pound chicken sells for twice as much. Now it does cost more to feed a chicken to 6 pounds, but the cost of feed is, well ... chicken feed.

And given the economy, and the way some food prices have dropped, you can sell a 6 pound chicken for less per pound than a 3 pound chicken and still make more money, or at least the same profit. So people forced to use food stamps or just watch their budget more closely will still buy chickens.

Whether that's true or not, I have no idea - maybe it is some evil plot. But we buy whole fryers and watch the price carefully. When it's under $1 per pound, we buy a bunch and freeze them.It seems to me the cheaper chickens are bigger than when the price is back up to almost $2 per pound. And this is all labeled chickens from the same relatively local producer at a locally-owned grocery (and definitely not Perdue or Tyson or Wal-mart) and, even having raised our own as comparison, the quality seems to be pretty good.

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the administration.

by badger on Sun Oct 03, 2010 at 12:00:30 PM PDT

•  Soy milk is not healthy (5+ / 0-)

First, most soy is genetically modified. Second, soy in its natural form is unfit for human consumption and has to be highly processed. Third, it has enough phytoestrogen to change a woman's menstrual cycle with only two glasses a day and can inhibit sexual development in children. Nasty, nasty stuff for everybody except Monsanto.

They are the dead hand of the past reaching out to strangle the future. ~beltane

by Blue Intrigue on Sat Oct 02, 2010 at 07:33:34 PM PDT

•  effing Monsanto (2+ / 0-)
          melo, mos1133

the only safe, healthy soy is fermented soy.  do the research; you have access to teh google!!

•  Killjoy. But, I was thinking the same thing. (3+ / 0-)
          murrayewv, Involuntary Exile, mos1133

Do you happen to know what is the real difference between processed white sugar and corn syrup?  I read these articles in our newspaper on how people were eschewing "unnatural" corn syrup for pure and wholesome sugar.  I really don't think there is a difference, healthwise.  What do you think?

by alliedoc on Sun Oct 03, 2010 at 03:44:50 AM PDT

•  I suppose that depends on which syrup you mean (2+ / 0-)
            Lashe, mos1133

Unquestionably white sugar should be expected to contain nearly pure Sucrose - the disaccharide of glucose (dextrose) and fructose.

What corn syrups contain depend, in large part, on the initial and final processing of the cornstarch feedstock. By and large though, a significant proportion of stuff sold as Corn Syrup is glucose. (Significantly more than would be predicted as the product of disproportionating Sucrose to it's contained saccharides).

Then there is HFCS - totally different kind of beast.

•  there does seem to be an important difference (2+ / 0-)
            Involuntary Exile, mos1133

Below are the results from a couple of studies.  It turns out, hfcs does create more fat people and more diabetics faster than sugar.  Here is an intro, and why these studies matter: According to the latest statistics, new cases of diabetes have increased by 90 percent in the last 10 years, and diabetes or pre-diabetes now strikes one in four Americans. Those are absolutely astounding statistics to say the least. Dr. Joseph Mercola

The studies:

A new study in mice sheds light on at least part of the reason for the insulin resistance that can come from diets high in high-fructose corn syrup, a sweetener found in most sodas and many other processed foods.

Fructose is much more readily metabolized to fat in the liver than glucose, and in the process can lead to nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. NAFLD in turn leads to hepatic insulin resistance and type II diabetes. Science Daily March 3, 2009

"Insulin resistance is a common feature of the metabolic syndrome and type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM). Both have reached epidemic proportions worldwide with the global adoption of the westernized diet along with increased consumption of fructose, stemming from the wide and increasing use of high-fructose corn syrup sweeteners.

It is well established that fructose is more lipogenic than glucose, and high-fructose diets have been linked to hypertriglyceridemia, nonalcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD), and insulin resistance." Cell Metabolism March 2009; 9(3):252-64

It may be that the amount of processing makes a difference, and I assume processing is done with corp bottom lines considered first and foremost, with zero consideration given to health of the consumer, unless said consumer drops dead after the first sip.  --  AJ

•  Sugar is somewhat healthier than corn syrup (2+ / 0-)
              Involuntary Exile, mos1133

I say somewhat healthier, because no one should be loading up on sugar either, but when sugar metabolizes in the liver, it sends a hormone to the brain to produce leptin, which is a neurotransmitter which tells thee body that it has enough sugar in the blood, and therefore acts as a type of hunger suppressant. That's why when someone eats a bunch of sucrose-laden sweets like candy and cookies, he/she gets a tummy ache very quickly after eating too much sugar.

The problem with high fructose corn syrup is that it metabolizes faster and doesn't have the same subsequent hormone transmission to the brain to stop eating HFCS.

•  Thanks. I hate what appears to be random (0+ / 0-)

bull crap without justification.  You sound intelligent.  I hope you are.

by alliedoc on Sun Oct 03, 2010 at 12:04:11 PM PDT