View Diary: "Community Spotlight" - Beauty or Beast? (66 comments)

•  When you open your Diary (3+ / 0-)
    claude, Got a Grip, rexymeteorite

Right at the top, above the Title and time will be an extra line:

"Queued to Community Spotlight".

CS is a Group, and when a Group Editor adds a Diary to the Group Queue, that line is generated on the original Diary.

I hope that the quality of debate will improve,
    but I fear we will remain Democrats.

by twigg on Thu Feb 24, 2011 at 11:53:51 AM PST

•  oh lol (3+ / 0-)
      claude, twigg, Got a Grip

thats whats happening?

we thought people could see our queue. lol.

I lift weights, but I don't sweat. I go for a swim, but I don't get wet.

by rexymeteorite on Thu Feb 24, 2011 at 12:02:06 PM PST

•  That's interesting. (2+ / 0-)
      twigg, Got a Grip

Items "queued" to CS are being considered for Rescue, and may not actually get scheduled, if a consensus of Rangers feel it doesn't meet standards.  Each potential Rescue, as found by a Ranger, goes to the queue, where at least two other Rangers also read it and also agree it is Rescue-worthy, and then gets scheduled to CS, or it gets dropped back off for one reason or another.

I didn't realize that an individual diarist gets to see that their diary has been "queued" for consideration.  I didn't think that the "public" got to see our queue in process.  I see the difference now.

Thanks.

don't always believe what you think...

by claude on Thu Feb 24, 2011 at 12:07:26 PM PST

•  You're welcome :) (2+ / 0-)
        claude, Got a Grip

If you don't want it to be visible there are probably two ways to fix it.

Don't queue them before discussing the merits in you secret drinking den, or get a code change so that it doesn't show up.

On the flip side. It's useful for a Diarist to know their Diary is queued. It means they can either stick around, or check back regularly to participate in the increased comments.

Just a few thoughts.

I hope that the quality of debate will improve,
        but I fear we will remain Democrats.

by twigg on Thu Feb 24, 2011 at 12:13:54 PM PST

•  I don't see a problem with it (2+ / 0-)
          twigg, Got a Grip

being known to the diarist.

But we want to be sure our private deliberations are really private so you all don't hear what we REALLY think, LOL.

don't always believe what you think...

by claude on Thu Feb 24, 2011 at 12:26:29 PM PST

•  Rest assured that (1+ / 0-)
            Got a Grip

as far as I know, no one can see the Editors comments in your Diary Queue.

Besides, you guys only say nice things about us :p

I hope that the quality of debate will improve,
            but I fear we will remain Democrats.

by twigg on Thu Feb 24, 2011 at 12:29:23 PM PST

•  The things you learn on this site. LOL! (2+ / 0-)
              vcmvo2, twigg

I had no idea that it told you your diary was queued.  Interesting.

I see no problem with a diarist see it has been queued.  There are other reasons why a diary might become "unqueued."  For instance, if it gets too many comments and recs before posting according to our standards then it's getting attention and conversation, which is the goal, so it won't need what we have to offer.  If it hits the rec list before going into the box then it doesn't need our help, either.  So there are a variety of reasons for a diary to make it to the queue but not to the box.

The very fact that a diary makes it to our queue means there is something that is at least intriguing within the diary.  So if your diary doesn't making it all the way to the CS box, then take that queue notification as a sign of encouragement, and keep writing and refining your writing to improve it.  That's what Community Spotlight is all about - to get more eyes on good writing.

"The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places." Ernest Hemingway

by Got a Grip on Thu Feb 24, 2011 at 02:15:00 PM PST