View Diary: Media pounds Bachmann migraines, campaign defends manhandling reporter (256 comments)

•  Scoop on migraines (3+ / 0-)
    voroki, A Citizen, falina

Not all of them are alike. I've had debilitating migraines that last for almost 3 days since I was 14. I thought they were sinus-related because I didn't know until in my 40's that migraines could be triggered by weather. In my case, changes in atmospheric pressure. It used to be that I could predict a low or high pressure front moving in days in advance without watching a weather report. Sometimes, I still can. It's a real talent.

When I went on estrogen during menopause, they got worse, which is common. I'm assuming this is probably where Bachmann is right now.

After menopause, and after I stopped estrogen therapy, I  now have migraines every day. This happens for a small percentage of female migraine sufferers. Others have fewer migraines. I'm guessing Michelle isn't going to be one of those, as severe as her headaches are being reported. The good news for me is that they aren't as severe most of the time. The bad news, of course, is the frequency. I use Excedrin Migraine for the pain.

I've taken Imitrex and Zomig when I've had severe migraines, and it works for the pain. But I'm really shaky on Imitrex. Other drugs I've taken haven't worked. So I'm an OTC drug user, and frequently have to take twice the recommended dosage in a day.

Yes, I can function, but if it's a severe headache, I'm not in top mental condition. I'm a writer, but I can't write during a migraine headache. As a consultant, I can push back on appointments with clients to accomodate my headaches most of the time. If it's not possible, I muddle through but I'm not giving my clients my best at those times.

You will notice I'm not running for president. If Bachmann has debilitating migraine headaches that interfere with her congressional duties, she has no business running for president, either.

"The white race is the domineering race, which is why I'm voting for McClain." Anonymous voter on NPR

by txdemfem on Wed Jul 20, 2011 at 11:08:27 AM PDT

•  Not to mention that in quite a few people (3+ / 0-)
      txdemfem, A Citizen, falina

migraines are much more frequent during times of stress. Presidency isn't exactly a low stress job.

"I smoke. If this bothers anyone, I suggest you look around at the world in which we live and shut your fuckin' mouth." --- Bill Hicks

by voroki on Wed Jul 20, 2011 at 11:14:40 AM PDT

•  so if Obama had migraines . . . (0+ / 0-)

you'd support impeachment?

•  If it came to light that they were so severe that (2+ / 0-)
          txdemfem, Melanie in IA

he couldn't do his duties as president the way that Bachman's duties have allegedly been compromised I would think it should be looked at. Felt exactly the same way about Reagan who according to many was suffering the effects of Alzheimer's while in office. I'm not saying Bachmann should be disqualified from running but she does need to answer whether these headaches are compromising her ability to do her job.

by voroki on Wed Jul 20, 2011 at 11:44:45 AM PDT

•  then since there is nothing whatever to indicate (1+ / 0-)
            Matt Z

in any way that Bachmann's migraines compromise her ability to do her job or effect her mental capacity (such as it is), there's nothing for you to be waving your arms about, is there.

But then, we BOTH know this isn't even remotely about her "ability to do her job", is it.

•  I guess you and I think this means different (1+ / 0-)
              Melanie in IA

things. "POLITICO found new details of the effect migraines have had on Bachmann’s performance and their pervasive impact on her congressional office."

by voroki on Wed Jul 20, 2011 at 12:52:18 PM PDT

•  Different thresholds. (3+ / 0-)

Impeachment and deciding not to vote for someone are entirely different. The Constitution lays out criteria for impeachment, and health concerns are not among them. It doesn't make sense to say that if you would not vote for a candidate for some reason that you would support impeachment for that same reason.

The wolfpack eats venison. The lone wolf eats mice.

by A Citizen on Wed Jul 20, 2011 at 12:11:25 PM PDT

•  why? (0+ / 0-)

What reason can you cite for migraines disqualifying a primary candidate that do not also apply with EVEN MORE URGENCY to a sitting President? How in hell can you even say with a straight face that "a primary candidate might not be able to perform the job" is grounds for not getting that job, but a President who ALREADY HAS THE JOB and can't perform it, is not grounds for removing them from the job.

(opens popcorn) it will be awfully entertaining watching you try to defend THAT double standard . . . . .

•  Easy, it's the Constitution (3+ / 0-)

Constitution of the United States of America Article II, Section 4:"The President, Vice President, and all civil Officers of the United States shall be removed from Office on Impeachment for, and Conviction of, Treason, Bribery, or other High Crimes and Misdemeanors."

So Obama, or any other President could be impeached for one of three reasons: treason, bribery or "high crimes and misdemeanors". Now, "high crimes and misdemeanors" is a little vague, but it doesn't include health reasons.

On the other hand, there is no such restriction on who I decide to vote for or not to vote for. There are restrictions on who can become President, such as they must be a natural-born citizen, at least 35 years old, and have lived in the US for at least 14 years. Although strictly speaking, these are only restrictions on who can take the office, I can vote for anyone I want.

It can make my decision who to vote for based on whatever criteria I decide. However, once that person is elected, a different set of criteria is in effect. I wouldn't vote for Bachmann because she's a moron, but being a moron isn't grounds for impeachment.

The wolfpack eats venison. The lone wolf eats mice.

by A Citizen on Wed Jul 20, 2011 at 12:57:55 PM PDT

•  so then your answer would be "if Obama were (0+ / 0-)

physically unable to perform the office, we can't remove him from office under the Constitution"?

Really?  That's the best you can come up with?

I, of course, think you are just bullshitting me to avoid looking like you don't have a silly partisan double standard which you do in fact have.  (shrug)

•  The truth is the best I've got. (2+ / 0-)

Why should I need any more? If the Constitution isn't good enough for you, then nothing is.  There is no double standard. If was calling for Bachmann's impeachment, then you would have a point. As I am not, then you don't.

The wolfpack eats venison. The lone wolf eats mice.

by A Citizen on Wed Jul 20, 2011 at 01:50:56 PM PDT

•  I think your stubborn desire to prove us all (0+ / 0-)

"partisan" in this issue says a lot more about YOU than about us.

Every single person who has responded to you has done so with clarity -- the issue is not the fact she has migraines. The issue(s) include concern for disability during a migraine, and concern for the fact that her staff members assaulted a journalist.  In addition you seem to have no understanding of what impeachment is.

So you are obviously unwilling to change your mind regardless of facts.

Again, that says more about YOU than us.

I woke up this morning only to realize, it's opposite day again.

by Melanie in IA on Thu Jul 21, 2011 at 08:27:56 AM PDT

•  I am right behind you (2+ / 0-)
      txdemfem, Zack from the SFV

I've suffered with them since puberty.  Mine involve cloudy vision, light sensitivity, and vomiting/retching.  They are triggered by weather (I too should be a meteorologist... its like having a bunion or your own live in Weatherdude).  I have one the day before my period, without fail.  Certain foods, lack of sleep, and stress can all trigger.

I'm on mulitple meds but some break through - they are far less frequent and less severe on the meds, but they are still there.  Nasal zomig helps, but since I vomit so much, nothing taken orally usually helps.

In a nonprofessional capacity, i suffered through my sister's wedding with one, spending most of the night vomiting in the bathroom.  Was I still physically present?  Yes.  Was I functional?  No.. I don't remember most of it.

I'm an attorney and it definately effects my practice.  You have to take into account that on any given day, you could just be incapacitated.  Your clients and collegues are inconvenienced but you learn your coping mechanism.  I will be honest though, I'm not sure those coping mechanisms work if your the president of the United States, as I do honestly believe there are times when I am utterly incapacitated.

But everyone's migraines are different, and can be managed differently.  So the mere fact of migraines isn't sufficient to disqualify someone (including Obama, Lenny, before you post) but the severity, triggers and treatment need to be evaulated to determine whether someone is incapacitated frequently enough and severely enough that there is a high likelihood that they could be incapacitated at a time when mental clarity is critical.

•  then since there's no evidence from anybody that (0+ / 0-)

her migraines are effecting her mental capacity (such as it is), then it would seem to be a non-issue.

So what is it we are waving our arms about?

Since migraines are nonpartisan, I assume there are probably just as many Dems in Congress with migraines as there are Repugs.  Why aren't we asking them to all be evaluated, as well? Other, I mean, than the fact that we like one party and not the other?

•  There does seem to be some anecdotal (0+ / 0-)

evidence that she is incapacitated from her staffers, off the record, of course, so it needs to be confirmed. But if it proves to be bad enough that she has to retire to a dark room with no lights and no sound, she's pretty much incapacitated by them in my book. If she's missed votes in the House because of them, she's incapacitated.

We'll have to see what proof emerges. But this isn't going away, so  we're going to find out.

by txdemfem on Wed Jul 20, 2011 at 12:49:24 PM PDT

•  nonsense (0+ / 0-)

People in Congress get sick.  They miss votes.  We don't impeach them for it. Heck, if we kicked out everyone in Congress who misses votes, there'd be no one left.

Certainly no one in Congress is more "incapacitated" than Gabby Giffords.  Do you advocate her impeachment?

•  No one is talking about impeaching anyone. (0+ / 0-)

The wolfpack eats venison. The lone wolf eats mice.

by A Citizen on Wed Jul 20, 2011 at 02:06:10 PM PDT

•  I will reply to this (0+ / 0-)

although you could dial it down a little. If it is determined after rehabilitation that Gabby Giffords cannot fulfill the responsibilities of her office, I would expect her to step down.

The only person talking about impeachment on this site is you.

by txdemfem on Wed Jul 20, 2011 at 03:27:08 PM PDT

•  I do think that there is a difference (3+ / 0-)
          txdemfem, jennyp, Hawkjt

First of all, I don't know that her migraines aren't effecting her mental capacity.  From the press reports, they sounds like mine, and mine most certainly affect my mental capacity.  You certainly don't want me practicing law actively in the midst of one.

So is it a legitimate line of inquiry - yes.  Is it an automatic disqualified - no.

Whare aren't we evaluating everyone?  There is one President... and he is the one who is responsible for war, negotiating with foreign countries, etc.   He (or she) would be the one to respond in a time of crisis.  I'm hard pressed to think of a time when a single Congressperson or Senator would be in a position where they were so critical to an ongoing crisis that it would be very difficult to excuse yourself for 48 hours.   Maybe Harry Reid or Nancy Pelosi for the Dems - the higher up you get in leadership, the more indispensible you become at the time of crisis, the more important it becomes to look at whether there is anything that could inhibit you performing that duty.  So as we asked about Dick Cheney's heart or Bob Dole's health or whatever, so it is legitimate to get a clean bill of health from any potential president.

The fact of the matter is that right now, Michelle Bachmann isn't really indispensible to anyone or thing other than her own ego and a handful of strange folks who wear Minnie Pearl hats with Lipton teabags rather than prices.   Really, I welcome her disappearing for 48 hours at a time.

•  and yet another hypocrite (0+ / 0-)

If Obama were the target of a smear campaign using a hatchet piece with unnamed uncited sources, declaring that he had this or that which incapacitated him, would you be singing the same tune?  Or would you be waving your arms and asking everyone to not jump to conclusions?

I smell a big whopping double standard.

If you have doctor reports indicating that her migraines are making it impossible for her to do her job, let's see 'em.  Otherwise all you got are anonymous stories from a smear campaign.

We're supposed to be better than that.

•  Thanks for the Smear. (1+ / 0-)
              Hawkjt

I think she's admitted she gets them.  In addition, I presidential candidates actually have doctors reports that are released so that we will know soon enough.

I think I was pretty clear in saying we don't know the facts and I would reserve judgment until a medical professioanl, as I would in the case of any individual with any medical condition.

If her migraines consist of one or two a year and she takes a couple of excederin migraines and she's good to go, then this story is over.

If, like a woman I know, her migraines are twice a week and require her to go to a hospital for shots and stay overnight, then its a bigger issues.

I don't know and neither do you.  But having a medical condition that COULD effect your ability to serve as president will need to be vetted at some point, and not that I'm concern trolling here for the Republicans, wouldnt you want to know before you nominated her?

•  by the way (0+ / 0-)

per the front page article, her headaches are "infrequent" and don't require daily meds -- mine do.... and respond to as needed meds -- mine don't always... so she's likely in a less severe boat than mine.

To be fair... lest I be called a hypocrite.

• Recommended (148)
  • Rescued (21)
  • Health Care (20)
  • Barack Obama (20)
  • Republicans (18)
  • International (17)
  • Freddie Gray (17)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site