- Today's comic by Ruben Bolling is The evolutionary path from domestic cats to lolcats:
- The theme for the January 21 inauguration of President Obama has been announced:
Just as President Obama’s reelection campaign adopted a forward-looking focus, his second inauguration will also ask the nation to look ahead.
Congressional organizers of the presidential inauguration announced Thursday that the theme of next year’s festivities will be “Faith in America’s Future,” a focus similar to the “Forward” theme that Obama used during the closing months of his campaign.
- Probably the only flip-flop Mitt Romney will ever disagree with:
Eric Hartsburg, the 30-year-old resident of Michigan City, Ind., inked the Romney/Ryan campaign’s distinctive “R” logo on his face this fall to support the Republican ticket. Hartsburg put the space on his face up for sale on eBay and was paid $5,000 to get the 5-by-2-inch tattoo. After the Romney-Paul Ryan ticket lost on Nov. 6, Hartsburg had no regrets, telling POLITICO he was “glad to know that I did all that I could” and insisting he would never have the tat removed.
But he’s had a change of heart.
Hartsburg tells POLITICO he plans to get the tattoo lasered off, a process that could take a year.
- The first Washington DC Costco opened today, and Vice President Joe Biden was there:
- President Obama has had a fish named after him: Etheostoma Obama, the Spangled Darter
- It's hard to imagine this:
David Axelrod is going to have a lonely upper lip.
Next week, the top strategist for President Barack Obama will lose his mustache of 40 years on national television, it was announced on MSNBC’s “Morning Joe” on Thursday.
Earlier this month, Axelrod agreed to shave his mustache on “Morning Joe” if the show’s hosts could raise $1 million for epilepsy charity he founded. At a fundraiser last night in Boston, the campaign hit the $1 million mark.
- Note to Republican primary voters: Here's what happens when Newt Gingrich loses:
Tiffany & Co.'s fiscal third-quarter earnings slid 30% as the high-end jewelry retailer continued to record weaker margins, weighed down by high precious-metal and diamond costs.
- Best wishes for a speedy recovery:
Former President George H.W. Bush remains in a Houston hospital Thursday after being treated for bronchitis, his spokesman said.
Bush, 88, has been hospitalized at Houston's Methodist Hospital for six days because of a "lingering cough," spokesman Jim McGrath told CNN.
His family hopes he will be discharged by the weekend, McGrath said.
- A color-coded map of the world's most and least emotional countries.
- On today's Kagro in the Morning show, Greg Dworkin looks at Medicare in the context of the "fiscal speed bump" negotiations. Wouldn't we be better off waiting until the picture becomes clearer on the projected savings from the ACA? Armando also weighs in on the speed bump nonsense. Also: the Fast Food Forward strikes in the New York area, and how they relate to the WalMart and Hostess strikes. Finally, a look at all the important stuff that somehow gets left out of newspaper coverage of the filibuster reform fight. You'll only get that here, on Daily Kos Radio!