John McCain is currently engaging in one of the most dishonest, cynical, selfish, political stunts in American history. The stunt is designed to play politics with the bailout. I don't know how the script ends but make no mistake that there is a script in place and the McCain campaign already knows what is going to happen today, tomorrow, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. Let it also be clear that John McCain is NOT interested in helping the American people and he has played no part in crafting the legislation of the past few days. Heck he wouldn't understand it anyway.
The bottom line is this --- If Barack Obama shows up in Mississippi tonight and John McCain doesn't show up, then Obama should simply sit down and take questions from the audience for 90 minutes and call McCain out. Here is some phrases Obama could use.
- McCain is playing politics with your money.
- McCain is trying to sabotage the bailout for partisan purposes.
- John McCain has officially put campaign first and country last.
- This is the same old politics as usual.
- John McCain has spent 26 years supporting the legislation, lobbyists, and special interests that created the mess.
- McCain has not suspended his campaign. His surrogates are still out there attacking Obama.
- McCain has been attending fundraisers and interviews with Katie Couric after he claimed he was "suspending his campaign."
Now, here is what Democrats NEED TO DO.
- Put together OUR bill by today. Say we HAVE a bill. That bill needs to do all of the things Obama says it will do. Craft it our way.
- Next, have the House and Senate PASS the bill. If it doesn't have a single Republican vote, who gives a shit.
- Send it to Bush's desk. Do NOT worry whether or not he'll sign it or veto it. MAKE him sign it or veto it. If he vetoes it the GOP goes the way of the Whigs. If he signs it you've done good work and McCain still looks like a fool.
There is a very high level game of political chess going on here and the McCain campaign sees this as its last chance to get back in the game. If we are naive he will. But if you actually see what's going on and see my chess moves above to counter the political stunt of political campaign, McCain will have so pissed off the American people that Obama will win 40 states and 15 points in the national vote.
(BTW - Talk UP the point that if McCain keeps acting like this Obama will win by 15 points.)