that someone like Rick Santorum could be seriously considered as a Presidential candidate by a major political party demonstrates that we are not the most advanced nation.
But it is more than that.
As attacks continue on teachers and on public institutions, as we continue in the direction of privatizing the commons, as we still cannot provide full medical coverage for all here regardless of their income, wealth, or immigration status, I look at other countries and I am ashamed.
I see an Amendment intended to separate Church and State being abused to impose one religious viewpoint upon the rest of us - it does not help that there are 6 Catholics, several from very Conservative strands of Catholicism, on the Supreme Court.
I see a nation unwilling to hold to account people who have done great wrong
- in the Bush administration
- in the financial sector that almost crashed the world's economy
- in the military when war crimes are committed
I see a politics that
- sees nothing wrong in engaging in political destruction
- justifies weak positions on the grounds they are not as bad as the other side
- that ignores the needs of the many who do not have access to the levers of power
I see an unwillingness by too many to acknowledge that what this nation is doing is destroying the world
- the environment in the name of short-term profits
- the economy in the name of profits for the few at the expense of the money
- economic justice in other nations in the name of profits for the few and the multinationals
- international understanding in our willingness to pit one overseas group against another
Perhaps it is that for the last 36 hours I have been suffering from a head cold that I am so "down" about what I see happening
I want political leaders who will speak truth to the American people
I want moral leaders who will speak truth to power
I want the American people to rise up and reclaim the government that should be ours as We the People of the United States.
Instead I see this nation becoming further divided: by race, gender, religion, economics, politics, sexual orientation
I hear politicians unwilling to stand up for what is right
I will continue to try to make a difference.
But I don't feel as if anything I do can make a difference.
I weep for America.