I've spent time with the kitty a lot today, letting him play at his favorite pastime of "climb, climb, & climb" across my hands, or just holding him & keeping him warm — &, I think, purring! — as he sleeps. He has a little "Mew!" like a seagull's call (or one of our door hinges?), & shows it off frequently.
He weighs 4 ounces, right about normal for what we think his age is. Also, I think he will open his eyes before very many more days, since he's moving his eyelids more & more.
Long-awaited pictures plus a bit more info over the fold.
This should give you an idea of how big he is:
1. Tomorrow my family will be attempting to find a mother cat for him. In a neighboring town to ours, the veterinary hospital may at the very least give some helpful advice or suggestions.
2. ...&, as we have just discovered, a vet trip seems to be just what he needs sooner rather than later, since at his latest cleaning his stool came out runny & dark.
Please keep this dear little kitten in your thoughts this weekend.
10:32 AM PT: Thanks for all of the kind words, everyone.
I have 2 big pieces of "Day 4" news in 1 package:
1. We took him to the vet this morning. The vet clinic at the "town next door" came through for us.
2. The vet assistant at the desk figured him to be well-fed & in pretty good shape (so it seems those rumors about the wonders of healthy food & exercise are true...).
3. Said vet assistant has a healthy mother cat — with several kittens about his age — who has a good chance of accepting him. His chances just got many times better.
Keep wishing good luck, & thanks again for all the help & encouragement.