Oklahoma laws requiring women seeking abortions to have an ultrasound image placed in front of them while they hear a description of the fetus and that ban off-label use of certain abortion-inducing drugs are unconstitutional, the state Supreme Court ruled Tuesday.
The state's highest court determined that lower court judges were right to halt the laws. In separate decisions, the Oklahoma Supreme Court said the laws, which received wide bipartisan support in the Legislature, violated a 1992 U.S. Supreme Court case....
All nine justices on the court joined in the decision involving the abortion-inducing drugs, while eight justices concurred in the ultrasound ruling. Justice Noma Gurich, a former Oklahoma County judge who issued an injunction blocking enforcement of that law in July 2010, recused herself from the decision.
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
Sylv, celdd, jancw, virginislandsguy, radarlady, arlene, twigg, Tamar, TomP, bythesea, Cassandra Waites, dskoe, papahaha, Keith Pickering, 57andFemale, Eddie L, jk2003, stlsophos, allergywoman, I C Mainer, IndieGuy, 4mygirls, DamselleFly, countwebb, glorificus, Avilyn, TheDuckManCometh
Diary Recommended By
Recommended by fiver
- About a year ago, Daily Kos began running cartoons. To their credit, they paid a modest fee for them. Many alternative political cartoonists were invited; I was not. At the time, the owner of the ...1189 comments 173 Recs
- I don't want to live on this planet anymore. KTVU News SAN FRANCISCO — San Francisco Animal Control was asking for the public’s help Tuesday in finding the man they say deliberately killed two ...169 comments 228 Recs
- A headline on the CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Corporation) website baffled me this morning. "Moose Eating Shark Rescued in Newfoundland Harbour". That's one of those headlines that make me ...99 comments 204 Recs
- Many right-wing voices have decried today's decision on the filibuster. Amazingly, the commenters at Free Republic were all for it. First of all, it's not "The Nuclear Option." It's "The ...119 comments 361 Recs
- Officially an old man now. As I am gathering my stuff to leave the cardiac ward, Philitrina, my afternoon nurse, gives me one additional bit of advice: Do not ignore the warning about not lifting ...684 comments 1328 Recs
- Last night, Stephen Colbert dropped his own bombshell on 60 Minutes and their fake Benghazi story and apology , with his own exclusive interview with someone who was there! And you'...29 comments 143 Recs
- After waiting for the medical examiner to deem the the death a homicide the nation collectively wonders if police will now act in this shooting death. The shooter is obviously not a minority or ...166 comments 331 Recs
- My pride and joy My two beautiful girls, Janis, with her mommy Luchia aka ...264 comments 759 Recs
- Following the report that Insurer Humana was fined $65,000 in Kentucky for sending out 6,500 misleading cancellation letters for low-premiums plans only to be automatic re-enrollment in high cost ...161 comments 357 Recs
- Brigido and his family, which immigration authorities want to tear apart. I had a childhood friend, Maria, contact me recently. We grew up together in the Chicago suburbs, our parents being close ...149 comments 387 Recs