One thing the Progressive resurgence has not done is attack conservatism itself. We think tactically, or in small reforms. Many of our leaders seem to buy the notion that our country is "Center-Right". We need to emulate Glenn Beck (I cannot believe I wrote that). Beck's TV show used dubious historical claims to concoct a rightist revisionist history that attacked 'Progressive' values and ideas. All we have to say for most of, for instance, the Tea Bagger's ideas is "we tried this" either in the first ten, Articles of Confederation years of our republic, or in general in the 19th century. I can hardly believe that we can't even mention that in the 1990's all the same scolds bleated about how a higher minimum wage and higher taxes would destroy the US economy. Instead we got a tremendous boom and a balanced budget. I , very naively, thought that would shut up the tax avoidance fetishists but, no, they are unfazed by facts. Right wing imagery resonates with the working class. Since this has been a fairly rightist country for much of its history and our myths are all about individual glory coupled with the working class of every nations reflexive nationalism, gives Rightists an built in edge. We cannot write off the rural Americans themselves. Most of them are intelligent people who have been sold, using sophisticated marketing, an intellectual bill of goods. The 1960s started over 50 years ago. Cannot we ween the US off those outdated stereotypes that feed our distrust of each other?
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
Recommended by cuddytom
- What about this gas tank's rights???? Because it wouldn't be the Lone Star State if there weren't oil and natural gas dripping from the ...10 comments 14 Recs
- A week after posting a diary about a bunch of backwards bullies organizing an "Anti-Gay" day in a PA high school, I come across this story out of Desert Oasis High School in Las Vegas, NV. It's ...3 comments 7 Recs
- Just take it easy Four Swedish police officers, riding on New York City's 6 train, had to go back to work briefly, in order to subdue two ...325 comments 274 Recs
- Ervin Edwards, arrested for sagging pants, dead in his cell after being Tasered to death On November 26, 2013, 38-year-old Ervin Edwards, partially deaf and mentally ill,344 comments 272 Recs
- A couple of ladies were chatting near my cash register the other day after their lunch, as one admired the other's wallet. "Oh, it was only five hundred dollars," she said to her friend. "I wish I'd ...513 comments 534 Recs
- An Arkansas woman says she was fired because she was quoted in the Washington Post saying she was ...182 comments 266 Recs
- As the New York Times reported today , a scandal is beginning to erupt at the DEA regarding the after hours lives of its agents, bearing striking parallels to the prostitution scandal at the Secret ...4 comments 12 Recs
- Did this guy get his law degree from Liberty University? That would explain it. Oklahoma Attorney General Scott Pruitt vows to fight for the right to ...37 comments 42 Recs
- New Jersey Governor Chris Christie made an appearance on ...126 comments 70 Recs
- No current results.
- No current results.