- Today's comic by Mark Fiore is Bumper-sticker action:
- What's coming up on Sunday Kos …
- Book review: The Betrayal of the American Dream, by Laura Clawson
- 2012 In Review: Grading the Pollsters, by Steve Singiser
- The least bad option: Going over the cliff, by Armando
- The fear of young black men, by Denise Oliver Velez
- The problem with Hagel, by Scott Wooledge
- The national debt? Republicans built that, by Jon Perr
- We could use a few more stories like this:
For once, Your Wonkette presents a story from Florida that is not calculated to leave you shaking your head and saying, “Effin’ Florida, man.” After the massacre in Newtown, Connecticut, a pawn shop owner in Seminole F-L-A has decided to get out of the gun-reselling business. Frank James, owner of Loanstar Jewelry and Pawn, said that as he watched the news of the Newtown shootings, “I basically broke into tears and looked up on the wall, seeing the types of firearms I am selling,” and decided that he could no longer continue to sell the kinds of weapons that were used to kill first-graders. His youngest child is six years old.
“I dropped my daughter off at school this morning. That was enough for me,” James said. “Conscience wins over making money.”
- And in related news, if convicted, they should throw the freaking book at her:
Federal authorities arrested a 37-year-old Bronx woman on Thursday after she allegedly concocted a ruse in the wake of the Connecticut mass shooting and posed as a relative of one of the slain children.
Nouel Alba is accused of using her Facebook account to solicit money from those wanting to donate to victims' families, claiming that the money was to be used for a "funeral fund," according to a U.S. Justice Department statement.
The donors apparently transmitted the money to a PayPal account controlled by Alba, who later allegedly lied about the scam to federal investigators, prosecutors said.
- Have you always dreamed about a career in politics? Now's your chance:
Wanted: a mayor for this tiny South Carolina town.
Like many rural communities across the country, Little Mountain has seen its population drop over the decades. Businesses closed on Main Street. Residents moved to nearby Columbia, seeking jobs and a faster pace.
Now the one-stoplight town, population 292, faces a more existential threat to its future: Nobody wants to be the mayor. No candidates ran in an election to replace the retiring mayor in November and, more unusual, the top two write-in recipients declined the job.
- Did you know that Fox hound Bill O'Reilly has spent more time yapping about his imaginary War on Christmas than he has spent talking about ongoing, real wars?
- Find out if you've only followed political news this year with this quiz to:
Test your knowledge of the year's news events!
- A comprehensive list of notable deaths in 2012 in the world of politics, business, sports and entertainment.
- What's next for Mitt Romney? Better question: does anyone really care?
- On today's Kagro in the Morning show, a look at Slate's interactive graphic of gun deaths in America since Newtown. Greg Dworkin shared polling data on guns & the NRA, some poignant photos of the flood of teddy bears sent to Newtown, and some suggestions for how better to support that community. Then, Twitter sensation @RepJackKimble, author of Profiles in Courageousness. Plus, a peek at what makes C-SPAN tick, and how your humble host helped "liberate" Congressional video.
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
Recommended by Barbara Morrill
- On Saturday at 8 AM PT, the tech team will be moving Daily Kos from its current web host to Amazon's Web Services. We'll be taking the site down for an estimated one to three hours while we move our ...130 comments 133 Recs
- Nancy Pelosi's San Francisco chief of staff Dan Bernal meets with Daily Kos, CREDO Action, Sum of Us, Electronic Frontier Foundation & Corporate Accountability ...14 comments 60 Recs
- Donate here! https://35409.thankyou4caring.org/pages/donation-page----nepal-earthquake Hi everyone, Sorry for writing so late but I can't write till I am free from my baby duties. So....... So ...14 comments 27 Recs
- Tonight, starting at 9 PM ET / 6 PM PT and running for about 15 hours, we will be taking Daily Kos offline to implement a major upgrade to the infrastructure behind the site. There should be no ...239 comments 178 Recs
- Now that I know that if I come in to your pizza parlor and ask for pepperoni pies for my gay wedding the answer will bem "NO!" , some other pressing questions leap to mind. What if it was just a ...120 comments 150 Recs
- I know that the DCCC went into "desperation" mode and caught a lot of flack with their "ALL HOPE IS LOST!!!" money begs last fall. However, I never thought I'd see them LITERALLY say that "ALL HOPE ...275 comments 375 Recs
- Ten years ago, I nearly lost my life when an RPG tore through the cockpit of my Black Hawk helicopter in Iraq. The only reason I made it home was because of the heroism of my courageous buddies ...134 comments 375 Recs
- I was in Selma, Alabama on the historic Freedom Day to register voters. Tensions were high and leaders were escalating their tactics. I saw the inequality and violence that African-Americans ...49 comments 295 Recs
- My beautiful wife, Mary Nir, was an extraordinary soul. She was the kindest person I ever knew. She had a wickedly off-beat sense of humor. There was no one she wouldn't stop to help. If you knew ...174 comments 713 Recs
- Since no one in authority here has put up an "Ask me anything" diary in a while, I have taken it upon myself to cover for their sorry asses by posting my own version of "Ask me anything" even though ...360 comments 129 Recs
Barbara Morrill's Tags
- No current results.