- Today's comic by Mark Fiore is Double Trouble:
- What's coming up on Sunday Kos ...
- James Dobson goes crazy. Is this all the movement can offer, by Hunter
- Ghosts of War, then and now: Artist pays homage to Nazi-occupied Amsterdam, by Susan Gardner
- The War on Drugs is a war on people, by Denise Oliver Velez
- The problem is not John Brennan. It's us, by Laurence Lewis
- 100,000 cops, by Jon Perr
- California: back in the black with progressive governance, by Dante Atkins
- But, but, but ... Hitler!
Gun nuts take it as a matter of faith that terrible dictators were only able to rise to power after they had disarmed their own people. This is quite simply not true. In the most commonly cited examples - Hitler, Mussolini, Stain, Pol Pot and Castro - gun restrictions played absolutely no role in gaining or maintaining power.
The Propaganda Professor has a great post detailing why the oft repeated gun nut claim that Hitler banned guns is wrong. Hitler actually loosened gun regulations in Germany...
The gun culture is right about one thing, however. Hitler really did enact a new gun law. But it was in 1938, not 1935 – well after the NAZIs already had the country in its iron grip. Furthermore, the new law in many ways LOOSENED gun restrictions.
- Don't worry, they insist they're not a hate group:
A member of Virginia’s Ku Klux Klan told Richmond’s WTVR that President Obama’s first term has been excellent for recruitment and his second term promises even greater growth.
“Since Obama’s first term our numbers have doubled and now that we’re headed to a second term it’s going to triple, this is going to be the biggest resurgence of the Klan since 1915,” said one of two Klansmen interviewed. [...]
“We’re not trying to target anybody or scare anybody with hate, we’re just using our freedom of speech to drop fliers,” said one. “Everyone thinks that we’re a hate group, we’re not a hate group, we don’t hate anyone, and we want to see good things come to our race.”
- The former deadbeat dad congressman is still flapping his gums:
Tea Party favorite Joe Walsh says conservatives are losing the "war" for U.S. voters and encouraged his backers at a South Loop rally to engage in civil disobedience to defy the Affordable Care Act or new gun regulations.
At his most aggressive, he told dozens of supporters to "defy and or break the law and engage in civil disobedience" if faced with federal health care law restrictions or new gun laws.
He paraphrased Thomas Jefferson in saying, "We may have to shed blood every couple hundred years to preserve our freedoms." [...]
Conservatives are losing to progressives, he said, because "our side doesn't understand we're at war."
- Reality makes climate change deniers cry:
Two months ago, Grist blogger Philip Bump took a look at a new study of global warming data, prepared a short post explaining the findings, and wrote this headline to summarize his interpretation of the numbers: “If you’re 27 or younger, you’ve never experienced a colder-than-average month.”
The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration had reported an alarming but unfathomable statistic — that the previous month had been “the 332nd consecutive month with an above-average temperature” across the Earth’s land and sea surfaces. [...]
His choice reframing of this information took wing across the web, the press, and social media, landing everywhere ... It has now reached the status of “statistic you no longer need to cite a source for ..."
Of course, the moment a number reaches that status, it also becomes a target for would-be debunkers. Some folks, like this guy at Forbes, charged that the headline was misleading, because — though the data for global average temperatures is quite clear — members of the under-27 set have nonetheless experienced “colder than average months” if you look at local, rather than global, averages. This is a convenient but specious dodge; the NOAA data was worldwide, and so was our point. We’re talking, after all, about the planet, not your neighborhood.
- Is that what the kids are calling it these days?
Two U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration agents “facilitated a sexual encounter” between a prostitute and a U.S. Secret Service agent days before President Barack Obama visited Colombia for a summit meeting in April 2012, according to a Justice Department investigation obtained exclusively by NBC News.
- An amazing image: New York in stunning 360 degree detail
- On today's Kagro in the Morning, The Coin & the expansion of executive power. NRA annoyed at Biden's focus on guns. Armed citizens who actually stopped mass shootings. A concealed carrier who shot his wife. (Yes, that was a gun in his pocket!) A man shot in the head demonstrating how safe his gun was. The "Tactical" Response guy. And Joe Arpaio's school "posse" with child sex offenders in it. Joe Walsh goes revolutionary. Two awesome patriots foster educational discussion by scaring everyone to death. And the $1 million settlement against the UC Davis Pepper Spray Cops.
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
Recommended by Barbara Morrill
- On Saturday at 8 AM PT, the tech team will be moving Daily Kos from its current web host to Amazon's Web Services. We'll be taking the site down for an estimated one to three hours while we move our ...129 comments 132 Recs
- Nancy Pelosi's San Francisco chief of staff Dan Bernal meets with Daily Kos, CREDO Action, Sum of Us, Electronic Frontier Foundation & Corporate Accountability ...14 comments 59 Recs
- Donate here! https://35409.thankyou4caring.org/pages/donation-page----nepal-earthquake Hi everyone, Sorry for writing so late but I can't write till I am free from my baby duties. So....... So ...14 comments 27 Recs
- Tonight, starting at 9 PM ET / 6 PM PT and running for about 15 hours, we will be taking Daily Kos offline to implement a major upgrade to the infrastructure behind the site. There should be no ...239 comments 178 Recs
- Now that I know that if I come in to your pizza parlor and ask for pepperoni pies for my gay wedding the answer will bem "NO!" , some other pressing questions leap to mind. What if it was just a ...120 comments 150 Recs
- I know that the DCCC went into "desperation" mode and caught a lot of flack with their "ALL HOPE IS LOST!!!" money begs last fall. However, I never thought I'd see them LITERALLY say that "ALL HOPE ...275 comments 375 Recs
- Ten years ago, I nearly lost my life when an RPG tore through the cockpit of my Black Hawk helicopter in Iraq. The only reason I made it home was because of the heroism of my courageous buddies ...134 comments 375 Recs
- I was in Selma, Alabama on the historic Freedom Day to register voters. Tensions were high and leaders were escalating their tactics. I saw the inequality and violence that African-Americans ...49 comments 295 Recs
- My beautiful wife, Mary Nir, was an extraordinary soul. She was the kindest person I ever knew. She had a wickedly off-beat sense of humor. There was no one she wouldn't stop to help. If you knew ...174 comments 713 Recs
- Since no one in authority here has put up an "Ask me anything" diary in a while, I have taken it upon myself to cover for their sorry asses by posting my own version of "Ask me anything" even though ...360 comments 129 Recs
Barbara Morrill's Tags
- No current results.