ALL ARE WELCOME!!!
It’s also a VSM because it’s Real Inauguration Day (RID), the day that President Obama will actually be taking the Oath of Office for the second time. So we get to celebrate the President's inauguration and not have to worry about missing all the hoopla, which will be happening the next day, Monday, Jan 21, henceforth to be known as Fake Inauguration Day (FID).
To get you in the mood, here’s some Real Inauguration Day and Fake Inauguration Day trivia:
ALL ARE WELCOME!!!!
• President Obama will be only the third president whose FID will be on Jan.21. The others were Eisenhower and Reagan. All three were/are second inaugurations.
• President Obama will be only the second president whose public inaugural ceremony coincides with Martin Luther King Jr. Day. The first was Bill Clinton. For the occasion, President Obama will be using MLK Jr.’s Bible, as well as the Lincoln Bible that was used for his first inauguration.
• The first president whose RID was Jan. 20 was FDR, in 1937. Before that, RID was March 4, which made for some really lame ducks.
• The only presidents whose FIDs were March 5 were Rutherford B. Hayes and Woodrow Wilson. It could almost be said that Hayes had two FIDs, since he took the oath not on Sunday March 4th, as would have been customary, but Saturday, the 3rd. I guess he took his Sabbath seriously.
• Evidently leaving the office vacant for a day wasn’t considered such a big deal in the earlier history of the nation: James Madison and Zachary Taylor simply had their RIDs on Monday, March 5.
• The only regularly scheduled inauguration to take place on any other day was Washington's first, on April 30, 1789. He didn’t have any lame ducks to worry about.
And now, on to the details!!
Date: Sunday, January 20, 2013As you see, we'll be hanging at our usual weekend spot. This will be our second weekender in a row, and I apologize to those of who you can't make weekend meetups. We've scheduled to accommodate our visitors and I promise to make it up to you in the (near!) future.
Time: 12 noon - ???pm
Place: Spitzer's Corner
101 Rivington Street (corner of Ludlow)
Meet us in the back room. This venue is wheelchair accessible.
Directions by subway: J,M,Z,F to Essex St./Delancey Street Station.
If you're coming in from outside the city:
From Grand Central: take the downtown 6 train (6 stops) to Bleecker Street Station, walk downstairs to Broadway-Lafayette station, change for the downtown F train (2 stops) to Delancey Street Station.
From Penn Station: walk one block east to 34th St/Herald Square subway station, take F train (10 stops) to Delancey Street Station.
From Port Authority Bus Terminal: take the downtown A,C, or E train to West 4th Street Station (4 stops), walk downstairs and take the downtown F train (3 stops) to Delancey Street.
Any of these trips takes about 20-25 minutes.
If you are driving, there's a very inexpensive municipal lot a block or two away, on Delancey Street. And on-street parking is free on Sundays.
H/t and special thanks to the delightful joanbrooker for helping to get the date set up,
and for those of you we'll be missing, I hope you're having a good New Year so far, and we'll see each other soon!
Please rec, tip and RSVP to the poll, as appropriate.
And just in case you didn't notice,
ALL ARE WELCOME!!!!