If you're seeing this, it means I have survived watching the SOTU and have not thrown the laptop at the television! Of course, if
Romney Rubio response hasn't happened yet, and when it does I suddenly stop commenting... you'll know why. Consider yourself warned.
TEASER HERE Follow me below the
dingledoodle squigglie dKosagnocchi dividerthingie fold after a word from our sponsor...
Here at Top Comments we strive to nourish community by rounding up some of the site's best, funniest, most mojo'd & most informative commentary, and we depend on your help!! If you see a comment by another Kossack that deserves wider recognition, please send it either to topcomments at gmail or to the Top Comments group dKosemailbox by 9:30pm Eastern. Please please please include a few words about why you sent it in as well as your user name (even if you think we know it already :-)), so we can credit you with the find!
Since I know we're all bouncing back between here, whatever the current SOTU LiveBlog thread is, and either TV, Radio or web-streamed coverage (umm, we are, aren't we? Please tell me I'm not the only one doing that), tonight's diary is short and sweet:
HAPPY BIRTHDAY CHARLES DARWIN & ABRAHAM LINCOLN!!
I hadn't realized until I read Bill's C&J today that they didn't just share a birthday, they share a birthDAY, February 12, 1809.
So who else arrived, departed, or did something notable on a February 12th?
- John Winthrop (1588) - Puritan who helped give us both the city of Boston (thanks!), and the whole "America is God's Country" folklore thanks to his City on a Hill sermon (umm, coulda done without that part, mkay?).What's the February 12th news for you?
- Judy Blume (1938) - gave many of us our first accounting of what getting your period for the first time was like. Oh, and religion too.
- Jim Creeggan (1970) - along with the other Barenaked Ladies gave us many ideas on how to spend $1,000,000.
- The National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) was founded (1909), giving us the one of first grassroots-based civil rights organizations.
- President Clinton was acquitted by the U.S. Senate on two impeachment articles (1999), both of which were as stupidly inane as tonight's likely Republican response will be.
Brillig's ObDisclaimer: The decision to publish each nomination lies with the evening's Diarist and/or Comment Formatter. My evenings at the helm, I try reeeeallllyy hard to publish everything without regard to content. I really do, even when I disagree personally with any given nomination. "TopCommentness" lies in the eyes of the nominator and of you, the reader - I leave the decision to you. I do not publish self-nominations (ie your own comments) and if I ruled the world, we'd all build community, supporting and uplifting instead of tearing our fellow Kossacks down.
From tofumagoo:cirrocco ponders the inevitable in his comment in Kos' grammar rant One space after periods, people.
From Yours Truly, brillig:kos clearly had some time on his hands and wrote One space after periods, people. edrie starts a thread that made me chuckle. I'm a one-spacer, by the way. Except for when I typo and put two.
Top Mojo for yesterday, February 11th, first comments and tip jars excluded. Thank you mik for the mojo magic! For those of you interested in How Top Mojo Works, please see his diary FAQing Top Mojo.
1) I witnessed a courthouse shooting once by dhonig — 175
2) Hmmmmmm, by AnnetteK — 168
3) "Cutting Social Security a little is ok" has been by JesseCW — 146
4) It is my understanding by mrblifil — 143
5) First Pope in 600 years to resign. by weelzup — 141
6) He's too pooped to pope by chicago minx — 140
7) Says here he wants to spend more time with... by 2020adam — 131
8) Gods bless. by allergywoman — 125
9) And the deficit will be reduced how much by gooderservice — 123
10) Yes by Catte Nappe — 112
11) A good investigative journalist would look by justmy2 — 103
12) A true republican believes by BrianParker14 — 95
13) ex-Benedict going on a long hollandaise? by Mo — 95
14) from the few details by Laurence Lewis — 94
15) ^THIS by blue aardvark — 84
16) I'm there in spirit. by Transactivist — 83
17) Wow, even rarer than I thought. by auron renouille — 82
18) There'd better be by lunachickie — 79
19) Vatican Insiders claiming late-night Twitter... by 2020adam — 79
20) +Anyone excusing chained CPI=economically ignorant by priceman — 79
21) Yabut that's "only" domestic violence by Tracker — 78
22) Need to make this politically toxic 4 Dems. ASAP. by Timothy J — 75
23) I give Ratzinger no credit by MadRuth — 75
24) I'm surprised Fox doesn't have a job for him by anastasia p — 75
25) Never by NancyWH — 74
26) Why are you complaining? by OutcastsAndCastoffs — 72
27) I love how they describe it as "grassroots" by Dallasdoc — 71
28) Michele is obsessed with power. Also nuts, nt by jdmorg — 69
29) It's a hard technical shared sacrifice technical by BigAlinWashSt — 68
30) I will ask for the time off. by Vacationland — 68
Top Pictures for yesterday, February 11th. Click any image to be taken to the full comment. Thank you jotter for the image magic!