EVERYONE is welcome and please join us each morning at 7:30 AM PACIFIC
to tell us what you're working on, share your show & tell, vent, whatever you want...
...this is an open thread. Nothing is off topic.
What's Your Favorite Story of the Week?
Well, the whacko wingnuts and Tea Partiers have yet to disappoint! Please enjoy my personal strategy for coping with teh inevitable crazy as I surf the webs. Mock along with me and see how many you get right. New bonus feature includes instant gratification -- no longer will you have to switch back and forth between the diary body and the tip jar for the answers. Or just skip the quiz and share with us your favorite story, joke, or picture of the week, and together we shall survive the sequestration tsunami.
1. Musical Pundits Division:
Fox News dumped Sara Palin and replaced her with:
- The Gropinator
- the correspondant from Uzbecki-becki-becki-stan
- Mr 9-9-9- All the Time
- Herman Cain
2. This week in racism: Four Stories for your consideration
Which Story is bogus?
- The attorney of a man who slapped a crying child on an airline and told its mother to "Shut that little [n-word] baby up" defended him by saying that while he may have used a racial slur it does not make him a racist.
- Redskins owner Jack Kent Cooke charged critics of the team's name with reverse racism, defending the team's name as based on the color of reddish clay soil in Virginia that is ground into their uniforms and skin during play.
- Hospital officials granted the request of a Michigan dad that no black nurses be allowed to care for his baby during its month long stay in the neo-natal unit.
- Montana county's GOP Chairwoman disseminated an email with a picture depicting a plot to kidnap the President with a watermelon trap.
3. True or False:
Mississippi officially ratified the 13th Amendment this week, agreeing to end slavery.
4. Anatomy Lessons in the News
According to Alabama state Rep. Mary Sue McClurkin (R) the largest organ in the body is:
- your liver
- your skin
- your gullibility gland
- your unborn baby
5. Mirror, Mirror on the Wall...
Who's the Most delusional of them all?
- McConnell, who fell for a joke from a satirical website called The Duffel Blog and sent a serious query, “I am writing on behalf of a constituent who has contacted me regarding Guantanamo Bay prisoners receiving Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits."
- Erik Rush, who is convinced that under DSM-5 Obama "Will classify Christians as mentally ill and ship them off to an asylum."
- The GOP, who took the word of Breitbart who got it from a New York Daily News reporter who flippantly fabricated the farcical story that Chuck Hagel took money from the non-existent group "Friends of Hamas"
- Marco Rubio, who pitched a fit over Obama's nearly identical immigration plan saying he had not been consulted in its drafting.
6. There oughta be a Law Dept:
True or False:
A Missouri legislator filed the perfect legislation to protect the Second Amendment, making it a felony to propose any legislation restricting gun rights, punishable by up to 4 years in prison.
7. Creative Explanations Dept.
Scott Brown explained his late night string of oddly spelled and pugnacious tweets including "Bqhatevwr" as being caused from:
- being distracted by a giant meteorite crashing into Russia
- perfectly legal medical marijuana
- butt dialing his iPhone 5
- too many Cosmopolitans (the drink, not the magazine)
Tea Party Patriots apologized for accidentally sending out an email depicting Karl Rove as
- Porky the Pig
- Himmler in a Nazi uniform
- Obama in whiteface
- a Most Wanted poster with a gunsight over his face.
9. Bonus Video
In which James Carville blurts out the truth about Republicans and the sequester, saying:
“The sequester, not many people know what it is, but it sounds stupid and cruel.
Therefore people think it’s a Republican thing.”
Latest Updates on Kossack Regional Meet-Up News Below the New Day sunrise cloud
Please visit Chrislove's diary Houston Area Kossacks: Meet-Up Photos! for more photos.
A few of the Houston Area Kossacks
Please visit Dave in Northridge's diary LA Kossacks: 2/16 Meetup and March Schedule for more photos!
One Pissed Off Liberal being Skyped into Los Angeles
Let's build communities!
Every region needs a meatspace community like SFKossacks.
We take care of each other in real life.
I urge YOU to take the lead and organize one in your region.
Please tell us about it if you do and we're here for advice.
THINK GLOBALLY, ACT LOCALLY
Click >>>HERE to see a list of all the regional Kossack groups that have organized for social and activism events. There are handy links to contact each organizer to join.
>>>Instructions on HOW TO FORM A NEW DAILY KOS GROUP
Saturday, February 23rd
Motor City Kossacks Represent at the Michigan Democratic Party Convention
~Possible lunch and dinner
LOCATION: Close to Cabo Hall
TBD • Detroit
ORGANIZER: Send peregrine kate a kosmail to connect.
Latest diary: Michigan and Motor City Kossacks: Meet-up after the MDP Convention, Sat. 2/23
1. peregrine kate
Sunday, Feb. 24th
Colorado COmmunity - Denver, CO Kossack Meet-up!
TIME: 11:30 AM
2915 W 44th Ave. • Denver
ORGANIZER: Send Leftcandid a kosmail to attend.
Latest diary: Denver/Colorado Kossack MEETUP, February 24: In Which I Pester You Again!
4. Merry Light (weather permitting) & guests
Saturday, March 2nd
LAKossacks Brunch Meet-up in the Valley!
LOCATION: Cafe Bizou
14016 Ventura Blvd. • Sherman Oaks
ORGANIZER: Send Dave in Northridge a kosmail to attend.
1. Dave in Northridge
Saturday, March 23rd
LAKossacks Monthly Meet-up
TIME: 2:00 PM
LOCATION: Casey's Irish Pub
613 S Grand Ave. • Los Angeles
ORGANIZER: Send Dave in Northridge a kosmail to attend.
Latest diary: LA Kossacks: 2/16 Meetup and March Schedule
1. Dave in Northridge
2. Joe Bacon
Saturday, March 2nd!!
Lone Star Spring Texas State-Wide Meet-Up in Austin
TIME: 2:00-5:00 PM
LOCATION: Opal Divine's Penn Field restaurant and bar
3601 S. Congress Ave • Austin
ORGANIZER: Send nomandates Kosmail to RSVP.
3. papa monzano
5. Chrislove's BF
8. mr pea
12. mr sue sue
13. blue armadillo
17. navajo (honorary TX Kossack!)
21. Mrs. Wino
24. Urban Owl
28. Mr. entrelac
31. belinda ridgewood (honorary TX Kossack!)
32. Carol in San Antonio
34. +1 from Harris County
37. Musicman (honorary TX kossack)
39. freerad's guest
Over the Edge
yoduuuh do or do not
Austin's 84th Annual Zilker Park Kite Festival
TIME: Early Afternoon
LOCATION: Zilker Park
2100 Barton Springs Rd. • Austin
ORGANIZER: Send papa monzano Kosmail to connect at the event.
Monday, March 4th
New York City Kossacks Meet-up
TIME: 6:00 PM
LOCATION: Spitzer's Corner
101 Rivington Street (Ludlow) • NYC
ORGANIZER: Send Sidnora a kosmail to RSVP
Latest diary: Save the Date for a New York Metro Meetup, March 4!
4. brooklyn liberal
8. Rosalie 907 + friends
9. blue jersey mom
Its the Supreme Court Stupid
Batya the Toon
DailyKos readers who live and/or work in New England
(Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, and Vermont)
New England Kossacks All Day Meet-up
Saturday, March 9th
ORGANIZER: Send Clytemnestra a kosmail to attend.
TIME: 1:00 - 4:00 PM
LOCATION I: SolToro in the Mohegan Sun Casino
1 Mohegan Sun Boulevard • Uncasville, CT
TIME: 7:00 - 10:00 PM
LOCATION II: Mystic Pizza
56 West Main Street • Mystic, CT
TIME: 11:00 - ? PM
LOCATION III: TBD
[Address] • [City]
Latest diary: New England Kossacks - March meet up
Sunday, March 10th
SAVE THE DATE: SFKossacks Roll Out the Red Carpet for a gilas girl
Guaymas in Tiberon: Time TBD
Meet at the Ferry Building and take the ferry to Tiberon.
Dine at Guaymas in the sun • Tiberon
Japanese Tea Garden in Golden Gate Park: Time TBD
We'll take the Ferry back to the Ferry building and then take public trans to the park • San Francisco
LOCATION III: TBD for early dinner
Address TBD • San Francisco
1. a gilas girl
3. side pocket
4. dharmasyd [lunch]
5. Meteor Blades
6. Glen the Plumber
10. Cali Scribe
11. Mr. Scribe
13. no way lack of brain
no way lack of brain
Kansas & Missouri KossacksFriday, March 15th
Kansas & Missouri Kossacks Meet-up
LOCATION: Free State Brewing Company
636 Massachusetts Street • Lawrence
ORGANIZER: Send tmservo433 a kosmail to attend.
Latest diary: [Diva waiting...]
Mid-March - Boston Kossacks First Meet-up
Boston Kossacks First Meet-up
TIME: Possibly 2:00 PM, stay tuned
LOCATION: The Border Cafe
32 Church Street • Cambridge
ORGANIZER: Send GreyHawk a kosmail to attend.
Latest diary: Boston Kossacks - 1st Meetup
Dkos Asheville's First Meet-up
LOCATION: The Bywater
796 Riverside Dr. • Asheville
ORGANIZER: Send randallt a kosmail to attend.
Latest diary: [Diva waiting...]
3. Otteray Scribe
5. people power granny
9. GordonNC (UID 5123 & City Councilman)
13. Captain Sham
14. Sandy on Signal
Land of Enchantment
alicia (plus two)
From randallt: "DKos Asheville is hosting a meet up and we've managed to cast a wide net! Asheville NC is the epicenter of cool progressive in the heart of the mountains and we have folks traveling from Eastern Tennessee, the Southern Highlands and Charlotte. So don't let the distance keep you away, come to Asheville, sign up today! You know you want to."
Netroots Nation 2013 in San Jose: Plenary Session Table Reservations
June 20th - 23rd • REGISTER HERE
1. side pocket [First Lieutenant]
2. mrs. side pocket
6. Cali Scribe
7. Glen the Plumber
10. Mrs. jotter
4. boran2 (Honorary)
Native American Netroots:
2. Meteor Blades
4. no way lack of brain
6. Kitsap River
7. Charles Curtis Stanley
Central Valley Kossacks:
6. Caddis Fly
Lone Star Kossacks:
Cheers & Jeers:
1. Bill in Portland Maine
2. Common Sense Mainer
5. Spousal Unit
Los Angeles Kossacks:
5. Dave in Northridge
NYC and beyond:
2. belinda ridgewood
3. belinda ridgewood's guest
Community Quilt Project:
1. Sara R
4. ramara (Arizona)
5. Horace Boothroyd III
Hopefully we can put together whole tables for them.
Military Community Members:
3. angelajean (Maybe)
Misc. registered Kossacks + regions:
Community Quilt Project NN13 Flash Mob Photo
smileycreek is organizing and asking all Community Quilt recipients to bring their quilts to NN13. We'll assemble at a pre-designated location and time for a group photo with one of the NN13 professional photographers. It will be a group hug celebrating one of the most beloved community building projects we have here at Daily Kos with Sara R and winglion at the center of it. navajo and Glen the Plumber are going to scout out and select a location in advance for all to meet with their quilts for a memorable photo opportunity. Stay tuned.
Date: TBD Time: TBD
2. Dave in Northridge
8. llbear (not attending, quilt only)
9. Patriot Daily News Clearinghouse (may not attend)
10. Smoh (not attending, quilt only)
12. belinda ridgewood
15. Kitsap River
16. Charles Curtis Stanley
Glacier National Park Kossack EPIC Meetup!
LOCATION: Glacier National Park
402 9th St W • Columbia Falls, Montana
ORGANIZER: Send arizonablue a kosmail to attend.
Latest diary: Glacier National Park Meetup! w/ lodging and campground info!
5. Ojibwa - arriving for the weekend
6. MTmofo - afternoon/early evening possible
Melanie in IA
Jim in IA
Send navajo a kosmail if you post a diary about an event so we can update our round-up.
Okay. Floor's open.
Tell us what you are doing on this NEW DAY?