Yes, deficits matter. We all agree that US Debt growth is unsustainable. But then the question becomes what is the sane and moral solution.
Let's review our Major Deficit Problems.
- The US Military and Spy Complex spending is simply Out Of Control (more on this below).
- The Obama Administration gave away Trillions to Bailout the Banksters whose malfeasance crashed the world economy. The Bank CEOs all awarded themselves historic bonuses courtesy of the taxpayers. And the Obama Administration forced the taxpayers to gobble up all of the Banksters bad debts (credit default swaps). Three cheers for unregulated, Laissez-faire Capitalism. That worked out well.
- Then on January 1, Obama made a deal which made Permanent, 95% of the Bush Tax Cuts for the Rich. This was a wet dream come true for Repubs. What is mind boggling is that Obama did not just let the Bush tax cuts expire in 2010, or even end them in 2009 when he had majorities in the House and Senate. Regardless, this move alone ensured that the Bush tax cuts continue be a major driver of federal budget deficits.
Obama's solution: Fix the deficit by robbing desperately needed Social Security benefits from seniors. Social Security is the center piece of the New Deal -- the Democrats Crowning Achievement. To be dismantled at the hands of a Democrat President is Shameful and Mean Spirited. Not to mention that Social Security has NOTHING to do with the deficit.
Someone commented yesterday that "Hey you voted for Obama and he did what he said he would do. Why are you acting surprised?". Well, not quite. The truth is that campaigner Obama repeatedly said he wanted to "Strengthen Social Security" -- his exact words. If he had been honest and said "I will make Cuts to Social Security and Medicare.", he would not have been elected to a second term. Period.
The current benefit level makes Social Security more of a Survival Net than a Safety Net for seniors. How would you survive on $11,500 per year? Could you get by on that? Stop and really Think about that for a minute. What do you spend on rent, heat, phone, electric, food, etc? And by submitting a budget with Social Security cuts, Obama apparently feels seniors on Social Security can afford to tighten that belt a few more notches.
Grandma and Grandpa are NOT your Budget Problem.
THE Budget Problem Is The Bloated, Insane Defense Budget -- Stupid!
On Real Time with Bill Maher last week, Senator Bernie Sanders was asked by a wingnut on the panel "Ok, if we don't cut Social Security where are we going to make cuts instead?". Senator Sanders immediate reply was "How about the military?".
So yes indeed, how about the military?!
We Cannot Afford Endless Pointless War
These beautiful children died because of the US appetite for Endless Pointless War. Endless militarism is not keeping us safer. It is making the world more dangerous for Americans.
These children were not terrorists when they were killed by a drone. But I can guarantee that their deaths grew the numbers of people with a hatred of the US: Their mothers and fathers, their sisters and brothers, their aunts and uncles, their cousins, family friends. How would you feel if some rogue country dropped a bomb on your family?
Were any of the US invoked Middle East wars worth their costs? Be honest with yourself when you answer that question.
The US is the biggest debtor nation by far. We simply cannot afford continued "Wars of Choice".
Please make the Moral Choice Mr President. Live up to what you campaigned on. Don't chose robbing Seniors of their Survival Net in favor of further enriching the Military Industrial Complex. Stop the Endless Pointless Wars that are bankrupting the American People.
We know that you already know all this Mr President. These are your words.
"Our military spending has gone up every year that I have been in office. We spend more on our military then the next 10 countries combined. China , Russia, France , UK , you name it." -- Obama @ 2012 Romney debate.And these are your words President Obama. You said "I will not make cuts to Social Security." Remember them -- live up to your Promise.
There are a few in Congress who dare to call Obama on his immoral choice. Is your congress person one of the few? If not, it's time to tell them you are watching. Now before it's too late.
Center on Budget and Policy Priorities
 2013 Federal Poverty Guidelines, Families USA
DailyKos Blogathon -- Week of April 8th
(All times are Eastern, diaries published by the Pushing back at the Grand Bargain group)
Monday, April 8
10:00 a.m. Roger Fox
12:00 noon eXtina
2:00 p.m. Guest crosspost by Yves Smith
3:00 p.m. poopdogcomedy
4:00 p.m. Horace Boothroyd III
6:00 p.m. slinkerwink
8:00 p.m. joedemocrat
Tuesday, April 9
Wednesday, April 10
Thursday, April 11
Friday April 12
1. Call your senators and representatives and tell them "Hell No!" with a priority on contacting senators. U.S. Capitol Switchboard at (202) 224-3121. You can find email contact information here
2. Contact the White House and tell them "Hell No!". Switchboard: 202-456-1414. Email contact page is here.
3. Petitions. There are a number of petitions available. Choose from the following or preferably sign them all.
a. White House petition calling for no cuts to Social Security.
4. Social Media. Share this diary and promote this blogathon on Facebook and Google+ using the buttons at the top of the diary. Send this out on Twitter and add the hashtags #HellNo and #NoGrandBargain.
Blogathon diaries you might have missedMonday:
Hell No! #NoGrandBargain: "Pushing back at the Grand Bargain" by Roger Fox
Hell No! Chained CPI will reduce eligability for EITC #noChainedCPI by Roger Fox
Hell No! Dan Pfeiffer: "The President's Budget Shows That He is Serious About Solving Deficits" by eXtina
Guest Crosspost, Yves Smith: Obama Wants to Be the President Who Rolled Back the New Deal by Yves Smith via joanneleon
IA-Sen: Tom Harkin (D) Needs Our Help Telling Obama Hell No To The Chained CPI by poopdogcomedy
Hell No! Stop crushing the poor by Horace Boothroyd III
Hell, No! Social Security Contributes Nothing To Deficit by slinkerwink
Hell No! No Grand Bargain: Chained CPI: Social Security Means So Much To So Many by joedemocrat
Hell No! No Grand Bargain Liveblog 2014 Budget press conference by joanneleon