The National Rifle Association kicked off its annual convention Friday with a warning to its members they are engaged in a "culture war" that stretches beyond gun rights, further ramping up emotions surrounding the gun control debate.
NRA First Vice President James Porter, a Birmingham, Ala., attorney who will assume the organization's presidency Monday, issued a full-throated challenge to President Barack Obama in the wake of a major victory regarding gun control and called on members to dig in for a long fight that will stretch into the 2014 elections.
More than 70,000 NRA members are expected to attend the three-day convention amid the backdrop of the national debate over gun control and the defeat of a U.S. Senate bill introduced after December's mass shooting at a Newtown, Conn., elementary school. A small gathering of gun control supporters were outside of the convention in Houston.
For full coverage, visit NBCNews.com
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
xxdr zombiexx, vcmvo2, Matt Z, CamillesDad1, mookins, a2nite, JGibson, Glen The Plumber, ExDU12, dream weaver
Diary Recommended By
Recommended by thinkingblue
- Two days ago, Michele Bachmann—once ...300 comments 423 Recs
- Not really. But If I were, this is the sign I would put in my door. "Dear Valued Patrons. Due to my sincerely held religious beliefs, and in light of the RFRA, recently signed by our Dear ...372 comments 694 Recs
- It is incredibly important that news headlines, pundits, bloggers, and activists are once again discussing heinous tortures perpetrated by our government—excused and explained away by the ...173 comments 208 Recs
- Last night, Bill Maher delivered a blistering final New Rule about what the matter with Kansas is. And finally, New Rule: scientists must conduct a study to determine which is easier to distract ��86 comments 192 Recs
- 32 comments 28 Recs
- Last night, Jon Stewart used Dick Cheney's own words against him as he now tries to attack Obama for seeming weak on what to do with the worsening situation in Iraq. By the way, Mr. Cheney there, ...27 comments 40 Recs
- Tony Perkins of the Family Research Council implied yesterday that pro-gay Christians are not 'real Christians' and are not protected by the First Amendment to the US Constitution as are ...80 comments 48 Recs
- Rep. Janice Hahn attended the annual non-partisan National Day of Prayer gathering on Capitol Hill yesterday, expecting a unified, peaceful event. But after listening to Dr. James Dobson from ...528 comments 672 Recs
- We have met the barbarian and he is us : The United Nations human rights office on Friday condemned the bungled and chaotic execution of an ...43 comments 74 Recs
- April 28 update: Heartland Institute APOLOGIZED, and took down the offending meme! Details here: Heartland Institute Backpedals on George Carlin Bastardized Quote-Meme ! = = = = = = = = = = = =195 comments 540 Recs
- No current results.
- No current results.