On Monday, we got confirmation that three people died at a Best Western in Boone, North Carolina as a result of a carbon monoxide leak from an indoor pool heater located one floor below where the deaths occurred. We also know that the hotel's manager, Appalachian Property Management, not only didn't bother to make repairs when told to do so, but didn't even bother to get a permit to install the heater in the first place. This hotel must never be allowed to reopen under its current management. Help put the heat on the town of Boone to make sure this company is never allowed to operate a hotel in Boone again. I mentioned this yesterday, but I'm reposting to keep this in the spotlight.
The hotel is currently closed. And yet, Bill Bailey, the director of building inspections for the town, has suggested this hotel might be allowed to reopen.
Bailey said the department sent a letter on Friday to Best Western representatives requesting proof of any permits issued and information about any work conducted without a permit. By law, Best Western has 30 days to respond to the letter.You have got to be kidding me. We're talking about a hotel that knew the heater had a faulty pump and poor ventilation as early as March--a month before the first deaths occurred. At that time, it was told this had to be corrected immediately. Said fixes were never made, because a state inspection subsequently revealed the heater had not been properly installed.
Bailey then expects Best Western to be placed in violation by the town, and a hearing will be held. Bailey said the hotel would likely be given the option to repair the facility rather than it being condemned.
Simply put, it's outrageous to even think Bailey is even considering letting this hotel reopen under its current management. After all, Appalachian Property Management's behavior here can charitably be described as negligent and criminal. And because of that behavior, three people are dead. Not only that, but 11 people that we know about--the mother of an 11-year-old boy who died in June and 10 girls attending a sleepover party--were ghastly sickened.
Simply put, this company is a clear and present danger to the public. This hotel must never be allowed to reopen under its current management, and the four other hotels managed by this company must be closed immediately and not allowed to reopen under this company's management either. I just started a petition telling Bailey to make sure Appalachian Property Management isn't allowed to ever run hotels in that town ever again. Let's make it happen, and keep this in the spotlight.