Skip to main content

Daily Kos Elections Liveblog Banner
Polls have just closed in Massachusetts, where voters are selecting a replacement for John Kerry, who became Secretary of State earlier this year. The race is between Democratic Rep. Ed Markey, who has led in all public polling, and Republican businessman Gabriel Gomez.

Results: AP (statewide) | AP (by town) | Boston Globe | Huffington Post


6:09 PM PT: Now we're up to 53-46 with 75% reporting. It's gonna be over soon.

6:16 PM PT: And there we go: The AP has called the race for Ed Markey. Way to go!

7:13 PM PT (Steve Singiser): With over 99 percent reporting, the final margin points to a victory for Democrat Ed Markey of almost precisely ten percentage points. Markey will top out at 55 percent, in all probability, with Gabriel Gomez at 45 percent. This is a slightly wider margin than the Warren-Brown 2012 race. The big story may well be the absolutely anemic turnout. Fun fact: the combined totals of Ed Markey and Gabriel Gomez are less than 100,000 votes higher than Scott Brown's total in the 2010 special election by himself. That said, a win is a win is a win, and in the final analysis, it really wasn't all that close. With only some insignificant stragglers still in the pipeline, we're calling it a night. Thanks for hanging out with us tonight!

Originally posted to Daily Kos Elections on Tue Jun 25, 2013 at 06:07 PM PDT.

Also republished by Daily Kos.

EMAIL TO A FRIEND X
Your Email has been sent.
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.

Add keywords that describe this diary. Separate multiple keywords with commas.
Tagging tips - Search For Tags - Browse For Tags

?

More Tagging tips:

A tag is a way to search for this diary. If someone is searching for "Barack Obama," is this a diary they'd be trying to find?

Use a person's full name, without any title. Senator Obama may become President Obama, and Michelle Obama might run for office.

If your diary covers an election or elected official, use election tags, which are generally the state abbreviation followed by the office. CA-01 is the first district House seat. CA-Sen covers both senate races. NY-GOV covers the New York governor's race.

Tags do not compound: that is, "education reform" is a completely different tag from "education". A tag like "reform" alone is probably not meaningful.

Consider if one or more of these tags fits your diary: Civil Rights, Community, Congress, Culture, Economy, Education, Elections, Energy, Environment, Health Care, International, Labor, Law, Media, Meta, National Security, Science, Transportation, or White House. If your diary is specific to a state, consider adding the state (California, Texas, etc). Keep in mind, though, that there are many wonderful and important diaries that don't fit in any of these tags. Don't worry if yours doesn't.

You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.

You must be a member of a group to use this feature.

Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
(The diary will be removed from the site and returned to your drafts for further editing.)
(The diary will be removed.)
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?

Comment Preferences

Subscribe or Donate to support Daily Kos.

Click here for the mobile view of the site