As history has proven, even when equal rights are made constitutional in this country, it doesn't mean those rights will be acknowledged, much less respected. Last Sunday night, a verbal and physical assault of hate, was made upon a group riding a NY subway. The video was filmed by bystander Rakshita Koirala, close to midnight.In a phone interview with The Huffington Post, Koirala explained that she began filming after she became concerned for the safety of some of the passengers:"[The older man] started to say things like, if you were in Iran you would be killed," Koirala said. "Just very anti-gay, very homophobic, very violent comments."No one was seriously injured this time.
She said that if the situation escalated, her video might help protect the passengers.
As the video shows, over the course of several minutes, the confrontation does escalate. One of the men struggles with Koirala for her phone, and she yells that she is an attorney. (Passengers eventually intervene.) There is also a physical altercation between one of the two men and a female passenger, who exchange insults.
"I'll f**king kill you here," the other man later yells at the woman. "I hit you so hard in your face you'll die."
Few would be naive enough to think lgbt hatred and prejudice would subside overnight, simply by the passing of a few laws; however, with phone cameras and a bit of courage we can help fight hate crime, by taping/reporting it when we see it - if we feel safe enough to do so. We can also share videos like the one above, to bring awareness to the masses, via social media. I doubt much time will go by before these two men are identified. Phone cameras and YouTube once again, prove to be a pretty powerful double-edged swords in the pursuit of justice.
Anit-Violence Project/APVin NY encourages the public to report crimes.
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
Bob Love, jeremybloom, susans, wader, YucatanMan, kerplunk, Hannibal, EdSF, karmsy, wayoutinthestix, Kysen, thomask, anodnhajo, 2thanks, Horace Boothroyd III, OldSoldier99
Diary Recommended By
Recommended by Leslie Salzillo
- And just think, it's only April. Of 2015.73 comments 55 Recs
- A new app for your smartphone promises to change the very nature of police-citizen interaction. The ACLU of California has released the app , called Mobile Justice CA , which allows a citizen to ...21 comments 21 Recs
- Ho. Lee. Crap. Check out this press release from Florida Governor and Lord Voldemort impersonator Rick Scott:33 comments 50 Recs
- Last night, Sarah Palin made a convert out of me.851 comments 2295 Recs
- Really? Yup, plural on schools. From Tennessee's ABC affiliate wbay.com Michael Herrell is a concerned parent ...30 comments 21 Recs
- I’m not sure how it started, but the slogan “ We Are the 99% ” is doing something that Democrats have failed to do and Republicans have feared for decades. What is this? Take ...246 comments 680 Recs
- Imagine for a moment that a man's neck was almost severed, nearly clean cut in the most painful way possible, while in the custody of the people charged with the duty of protecting and serving. ...420 comments 407 Recs
- Mr. Liese is kneed by Officer Delio, rupturing his spleen The Orlando Police Department, like many other police departments, must now investigate one of their own because ...50 comments 85 Recs
- Starbucks acquired the Ethos water brand 10 years ago. According to Starbucks , "Ethos® Water was created to help raise awareness" about water access and works to "provide children with access to ...18 comments 27 Recs
Leslie Salzillo's Blogroll
- No current results.