- Today's comic by is The education of Louis:
- Study: False balance and "pause" dominated media coverage of latest UN climate report.
- Survivalists prepare for government default just in case:
[Ken] Lester said MRE Star, which ships thousands of cases of [Meals Ready to Eat] each month to customers that include U.S. embassies abroad, is now seeing larger-sized retail orders from individuals, stemming from concerns surrounding the government shutdown and potential debt default. [...]
In the midst of the ongoing government showdown, Lester said, "People are looking to control what they can control, and that would be survival, and being able to feed their families."
- No record backs up Virginia lieutenant governor candidate's claim that he was chaplain of the Boston Red Sox.
- 'Turning point' seen in Alzheimer's treatment:
The discovery of the first chemical to prevent the death of brain tissue in a neurodegenerative disease has been hailed as the "turning point" in the fight against Alzheimer's disease.
More work is needed to develop a drug that could be taken by patients.
But scientists say a resulting medicine could treat Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, Huntington's and other diseases.
- Deep eyeroll for Niall Ferguson calling out Paul Krugman for lacking "honesty":
MSNBC host Joe Scarborough said Thursday that a public editor at the New York Times considers liberal columnist Paul Krugman's work to be an ongoing "nightmare."
During a segment on "Morning Joe," conservative historian Niall Ferguson joined Scarborough to pile on Krugman. Ferguson said that Krugman lacks "humility, honesty and civility."
"And there's no accountability," Ferguson said. "No one seems to edit that blog at the New York Times. And it's time that somebody called him out. People are afraid of him. I'm not."
- Rep. Tammy Duckworth meets with Army medic who helped save her life:
Scott Gillis sat in the House balcony on Thursday, watching a speech by Rep. Tammy Duckworth (D-Ill.). The last time Gillis had seen her, she was unconscious, bleeding profusely and in need of life-saving surgery.
Gillis was one of the medics who helped save Duckworth's life in 2004. Back then, he was an Army sergeant stationed in Iraq, and Duckworth was rushed into Gillis' hospital tent after her helicopter was hit by a rocket-propelled grenade.
- Drunk dial Congress:
A new service randomly connects you to the office of a Member of Congress so you can yell at them.
- Longer human lives mean more species extinctions:
As human life expectancy increases, so does the percentage of invasive and endangered birds and mammals, according to a new study by the University of California, Davis.
The study, published in the September issue of Ecology and Society, examined a combination of 15 social and ecological variables—from tourism and per capita gross domestic product to water stress and political stability. Then researchers analyzed their correlations with invasive and endangered birds and mammals, which are two indicators of what conservationist Aldo Leopold termed "land sickness," the study said.
Human life expectancy, which is rarely included among indexes that examine human impacts on the environment, surfaced as the key predictor of global invasions and extinctions.
- On today's Kagro in the Morning show, is a debt ceiling cave coming? Greg Dworkin on the crazy AP story that wasn't about Terry McAuliffe. Rs getting serious shutdown backlash from home. Cruz does his own poll, finds the same as everyone else & divines a win. Gop fractures over pivoting away from Obamacare. Two shocking #GunFAIL verdicts from SC & MD. Finally, more on the right wing coordination on the shutdown fight. David Weigel in Slate argues that the Kochs have less to do with it than other stories have alleged. And Lee Fang in The Nation says there are bigger and badder gangs driving things.
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
greenbird, navajo, scott5js, churchylafemme, Lefty Coaster, gpoutney, BeninSC, gchaucer2, JeffW, Parthenia, LinSea, annieli, Mr MadAsHell, incognita, wintergreen8694, Eric Nelson, aresea, northerntier, Shreve, LilithGardener
Diary Recommended By
Recommended by Meteor Blades
- The interactive map above shows which party was leading just after 11 PM EST and ...69 comments 75 Recs
- California growers continue to expand their almond acreage in the state during the current drought while Governor Jerry Brown has mandated that urban families slash their water usage by 25 percent. ...16 comments 20 Recs
- I was a little surprised to find adult Golden Silk Orb Weaver Spiders during one of my walks this week. I don't usually start seeing them until the middle of May. I suspect the unusually warm April ...80 comments 33 Recs
- I wrote a long response to an article over at Slashdot about the ridiculously overblown fracking industry PR response to the recent discovery of an instance of fracking chemical contamination in ...8 comments 12 Recs
- Over the last decade, Pennsylvania has emerged as a powerhouse when it comes to drilling and pumping and making money off of natural gas— ...5 comments 9 Recs
- Let the smear tactics begin! Hopefully it will show the American people just what kind of scum conservatives and the GOP really are. Bernie Sanders, an independent and social democrat in the US ...47 comments 22 Recs
- Gas fracking has be estimated to release much more methane than previous gas industry claims. The worst offender for Methane releases in the US is probably the natural gas field in the Four Corners ...12 comments 29 Recs
- Hi guys, Bernie is live broadcasting a town hall event in Lanham, MD via the app Periscope right now. I can't figure out how to link the broadcast, but you can download Periscope from the App Store,7 comments 14 Recs
Meteor Blades's Tags
- Abortion (12322)
- Afghanistan (11497)
- Anti-War (1998)
- Antiwar (383)
- Bill Moyer (12)
- Climate Change (24719)
- Community (90410)
- Cranky Users (302)
- Daily Kos Photo Cooperative (16)
- DK4 (1686)
- Ecology (2376)
- Economy (55913)
- eKos (12437)
- Environment (45723)
- FNN&V (20)
- Gulf Watchers (1195)
- International (14760)
- Jobs (12420)
- Labor (28308)
- Libya (4265)