I've been pre-occupied the past few days with an earworm from a Youtube video that was probably a meme 6 months ago, but I'm old and a parent so I get graded on the meme curve. It popped into my awareness because K1 was killing time waiting for restaurant seating with the related app. Carefully follow me below the
dingledoodle squigglie dKosagnocchi dividerthingie fold after a word from our sponsor...
Here at Top Comments we strive to nourish community by rounding up some of the site's best, funniest, most mojo'd & most informative commentary, and we depend on your help!! If you see a comment by another Kossack that deserves wider recognition, please send it either to topcomments at gmail or to the Top Comments group mailbox by 9:30pm Eastern. Please please please include a few words about why you sent it in as well as your user name (even if you think we know it already :-)), so we can credit you with the find!
So here's the video that spawned the earworm I've been humming for 3 days:
Really, if you haven't heard it before, give it a listen. The rest of this diary depends on it :)
The catchy little jingle was part of a safety campaign by Metro Trains in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia. It spawned a cottage industry of related videos and of course, listening to it over and over, I got to wondering about a parody I hadn't seen around yet. So I give you the first stanza of
Dumb Ways To Govern
(yes, I know govern has two syllables. Work with me here)
Shut down the GovernmentGot further verses? Please share them in the comments below! Got curses because I've gifted you with an earworm? Try here for help.
Change the rules to stop dissent
Cut programs for the sick and poor
Lie and obfuscate what your side is for
Dumb ways to govern, so many dumb ways to govern...
Brillig's ObDisclaimer: The decision to publish each nomination lies with the evening's Diarist and/or Comment Formatter. My evenings at the helm, I try reeeeallllyy hard to publish everything without regard to content. I really do, even when I disagree personally with any given nomination. "TopCommentness" lies in the eyes of the nominator and of you, the reader - I leave the decision to you. I do not publish self-nominations (ie your own comments) and if I ruled the world, we'd all build community, supporting and uplifting instead of tearing our fellow Kossacks down.
From remembrance:Inspired by ruleoflaw's poem When the Maybe Comes at Night, Boston Beans illuminates the unsettled emotions elicited by our current political insanity as we speculate what may come and what we hope for.
From CenPhx:A comment from LordMike jokingly considering moving his retirement into gold to save it from consequences of the impending default led to this darkly humorous comment from koosah: Two men enter, one man leaves!
This comment by translatorpro is a fine one if you take the time to read the link provided! (Ted Cruz does NOT come off well in the Twitter thread, big surprise!)
Flagged by enhydra lutris. All Top Comments regulars know JekyllnHyde's flair for topical pictures. This is a fine one.
And, also on the graphic front, this comment by here4tehbeer was flagged by multiple parties, including marcvstraianvs, Wisper, JohnnyAppleseed and InformedDiva.
From gizmo59:On a day when I didn't feel like laughing too much, here4tehbeer makes an amusing observation about Lindsey Graham's electoral predicaments in AlyoshaKaramazov's recommended post Lindsey Graham (R-SC) Admits GOP Went Too Far - Pleads for Mercy.
From Yours Truly, brillig:In answering a question Isara asked about ACA subsidies for Congressional staffers, JamesGG set up a nice zinger by Cali Scribe.
weatherdude channels Hunter in his diary My first-hand account with The Obama's death panels, then in the comments wins the Internets with this gem.
Top Mojo for yesterday, October 14th, first comments and tip jars excluded. Thank you mik for the mojo magic! For those of you interested in How Top Mojo Works, please see his diary FAQing Top Mojo.
1) I accept that their votes on certain issues... by Meteor Blades — 157
2) Where were the police in riot gear? by Betty Pinson — 125
3) check out League of the South for the genesis by entlord — 121
4) Actually, they're worse by banjolele — 103
5) I noticed that the "Million Vet March" organizers by mumtaznepal — 101
6) You know what's even worst? by JoanMar — 98
7) I live in upstate NY by Araguato — 93
8) As much as I want to make this political by sideboth — 89
9) Go for it! Red states cut off from Fed trough... by Ralphdog — 88
10) My hope is that by Youffraita — 84
11) I feel like I am watching old Flash Gordon serials by Denver11 — 82
12) look, more potential republican congressmen by askyron — 76
13) Sean Patrick Maloney (NY-18) is out of excuses! by bobswern — 73
14) my god, there are dozens of them by BennyToothpick — 67
15) any experienced software developer can tell you by AntonBursch — 67
16) I've not seen any print media by pajoly — 65
17) The only "game" this could have changed... by angry marmot — 65
18) Yeah, but it's like letting a suicide bomber by Einsteinia — 64
19) I'll support this man by Sandy on Signal — 64
20) They hoisted a confederate flag by Siri — 62
21) What a beautiful, patriotic act by those vets by 4Freedom — 62
22) Not actually new by kamrom — 61
23) happee moondai by Debbie in ME — 60
24) kind of about race and kind of not about race by mightymouse — 60
25) I actually have a neighbor much like that. by Eileen B — 60
26) i had to wait in line at the doctor the other day by AntonBursch — 60
27) The next time you see an idiot flying those colors by jbob — 58
28) Actually it does negate their intransigence, by Fonsia — 56
29) Websites like this one? Some apps are crap by Norm in Chicago — 56
30) maybe they can ask dad for a loan. by AnotherAmericanLie — 55
31) Maybe not just our boys by The Geogre — 55
32) aha, their real agenda by ssmt — 55
33) Because today is expected to be a slow one.... by Bill in Portland Maine — 55