Data obtained through litigation by the Fair Share Housing Center show that more than 38 percent of African Americans and more than 20 percent of Latinos were rejected for Resettlement Program grants, compared with 14.5 percent of Caucasians.Some of those rejected might be explained by the fact that many are renters, and renters don't usually have insurance and minorities typically represent a higher proportion of renters. But it’s impossible to tell from the data provided by the state. The state released the information as part of litigation in late November, followed by several weeks of analysis by the Fair Share Housing Center.
Adam Gordon, staff attorney for the Cherry Hill-based nonprofit, said the information released by the state does not include an explanation of the rejections.
“The governor promised this would be a transparent recovery, and that promise hasn’t been kept,” Gordon said. “There should be clear information why some people are getting this money and some aren’t.”
So this is what it feels like to be piled on
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
Meteor Blades, TXdem, Gooserock, marina, fixxit, Mary Mike, mconvente, Calamity Jean, JamieG from Md, Dirtandiron, LinSea, petral, Things Come Undone, Mister Met, StateOfGrace, Sister Inspired Revolver of Freedom, pistolSO, Eric Nelson, Glen The Plumber, Avilyn
Diary Recommended By
Recommended by VL Baker
- The day has finally arrived! Bernie Sanders has announced that he's running for president, to save the country and the Democratic party. He's a brave man with a big heart, a sharp mind and ...343 comments 335 Recs
- Cross-Posted from DeSmogBlog Anthony “Tony” Podesta began lobbying in late 2013 on behalf of a company co-owned by ExxonMobil and Qatar Petroleum aiming to export liquefied natural gas (LNG) to ...37 comments 6 Recs
- The polls open UK wide in one week. But the most interesting part of the election is happening in Scotland. Here's a map of Scotland in 2010 along with the most recent Polling projections for ...357 comments 121 Recs
- Three tropical cyclones churned the waters around Australia on March 11, 2015, including Pam, which reached ...273 comments 421 Recs
- Senator Bernie Sanders is running for President. From Vermont Public Radio : VPR News has learned from several sources that independent U.S. Sen. Bernie ...815 comments 536 Recs
- Bolivia, a nation nestled high in the Andes, has a history steeped in struggle, populated by a peoples whose greatest accomplishment can be said to be their very survival. Cochabamba, one of the ...143 comments 159 Recs
- O'Malley sounds like a Progressive advocate to me. Check out his direct and straight-forward answers, the good Governor recently gave NPR: Transcript : NPR's Full Interview With Martin O'Malley npr.123 comments 84 Recs
- On Friday, in a conference call with reporters, President Obama accused Democratic critics of fast tracking the TPP of being "dishonest," particularly with regard to their claims that the deal is "...740 comments 366 Recs
- OK, so first the TPP, the Trans-Pacific Partnership. Nobody is allowed to see it, but it's going to pass. The White House is working with Republicans on this one . One of the things TPP will ...22 comments 32 Recs
- The stuff of science fiction movies is now here in reality. When I read this article I just paused in shock, opened my mouth and uttered the phrase I always utter at such moments: Holy Shit! As ...7 comments 24 Recs
VL Baker's Tags
- Beatles (920)
- Cranky Users (302)
- Industrial Meat Production (7)
- Meat (546)
- Meat Industry (3)
- Meat inspection (4)
- Meat Production (155)
- Meat Safety (5)
- Meatless (45)
- Meatless Advocate (5)
- Meatless Advocates Meet-up (3)
- Meatless Monday (626)
- Meatless Mondays (16)
- Meatpacking (18)
- Recommended (196610)
- The Yes We Can Pragmatists (8)
VL Baker's Blogroll
- No current results.