Nov. 7 - While making the arrest of a kidnap suspect yesterday, Boise Police had evidence the suspect may be heavily armed and in possession of a large amount of explosive materials. Because of the potential danger to officers and the neighborhood, the warrant service became the first deployment of the departments MRAP. 110613 MRAP 1I guess it was only inevitable, we had to build a shit ton of them for Iraq and Afghanistan and now the wars are over or ending. Not sure how I feel about this.
"This vehicle is designed to protect people from high caliber bullets and explosives and we knew that's what we were likely facing," said Boise Police Captain Scott Mulcahy. "We had evidence this suspect's behavior was erratic and that he was potentially armed with firearms and explosives. That's when we need to take every precaution in protecting our people and the neighborhood."
In addition to the Boise Police MRAP, the MRAP belonging to Nampa Police was also called in to assist. The vehicles were strategically placed to provide a protective barricade for officers while confronting the suspect, and to protect the closest neighbors should a blast occur.
Members of the Boise Police SWAT team were called to serve the arrest warrant yesterday also because of the potential danger officers felt the suspect posed. The Boise Police Special Operations Group, which includes the SWAT team, has been assigned the vehicle.
The MRAP, or mine resistant ambush protection vehicle was acquired through a United States military surplus program and just received by the Boise PD one month ago. At the time, the department informed citizens about the vehicle, saying it would be an important new tool for officers to protect citizens as well as themselves in high risk operations.
"We apprecaite having a vehicle with these extraordinary capabilities. It's already made a difference.."
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
Meteor Blades, Bob Love, Knucklehead, Cartoon Peril, Zwoof, JeffW, Throw The Bums Out, divineorder, Horace Boothroyd III, RUNDOWN, BMScott
Diary Recommended By
Recommended by Drewid
- SPOILER WARNING: A late night gathering for non-serious palaver that does not speak of that night's show. Posting a spoiler will get you brollywhacked. You don't want that to happen to you.14 comments 5 Recs
- Please read and follow instructions before opening. Or consult your physician. This is a noncontroversial topic, no flame zone. SPOILER WARNING: A latenight gathering for non-serious palaver that ...15 comments 6 Recs
- I hadn't planned on voting today. But I did. GOTV by Chitown Kev I voted this morning. Since I live considerably north of Howard Street, I did not ...132 comments 68 Recs
- Have you ever been in a discussion in an ostensibly progressive or Left venue only to suddenly find someone promoting a meme that seems drawn directly from the swamps of far Right extremism? Have ...384 comments 29 Recs
- Please read and follow instructions before opening. Or consult your physician. This is a noncontroversial topic, no flame zone. SPOILER WARNING: A latenight gathering for non-serious palaver that ...25 comments 6 Recs
- This article was originally posted on my new blog: thecenterhold.com Reflections on holy week. How are Christians seen by the rest of the world? I am a Christian, and this is the most important ...29 comments 13 Recs
- Commentary: African American Scientists and Inventors by Black Kos Editor, Sephius1 James Edward Maceo West (born February 10, 1931 in Farmville, Prince Edward County, Virginia) is an American ...178 comments 68 Recs
- A line from this recommended diary . The full quote: The most common tactic employed by Obama supporters, when deflecting criticism away from the president, is to play the race card. But that ploy ...1103 comments 386 Recs
- Please read and follow instructions before opening. Or consult your physician. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SPOILER ...39 comments 7 Recs
- You filthy murderer! How dare you?! http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/george-zimmerman-trayvon-martin-obama Zimmerman goes on to express that he feels victimized by President Barack Obama. "...215 comments 214 Recs
- No current results.