"Obviously, this is a great night for our campaign, and we're extremely excited to have the second sentence taken out," said Megan Robertson, campaign director for Freedom Indiana, a coalition working against the amendment.The tide on this issue is turning, even among Republicans. But that is just going to make the bigots, like Bosma, more committed to using every means possible to fight it. That means our allies, like Freedom Indiana, will need all the help they can get to keep pushing back.
But, she added: "Getting rid of one bad sentence doesn't fix the whole bill."
Opponents of the measure acknowledge they still have a fierce uphill battle ahead of them. The odds of defeating what's left of the amendment remain long, and they still face the prospect of the Senate reinstating the ban on civil unions in a renewed effort to send the issue to voters in November.
Things are falling apart for Indiana's chief bigot, state House Speaker Brian Bosma. He's the guy who's trying to ram an extreme anti-marriage equality constitutional amendment through the state legislature. When his fellow Republicans in the judiciary committee rebelled against the amendment, Bosma yanked it from that committee and put it in a friendlier one. He figured it would sail through there, and it pretty much did. But then he hit the wall of opposition from fellow Republicans in the full House. With a 52-43 vote, the House removed the worst part of the amendment, a provision that would have banned civil unions and could have ended protections for straight, unmarried couples in civil unions. That's triggering a delay, meaning that even if both chambers of the General Assembly pass the revised amendment, it likely won't go before voters until 2016.
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
TXdem, Odysseus, Jay C, eeff, dpeifer1949, SocioSam, Cronesense, sfbob, jayden, gizmo59, bythesea, shopkeeper, politicalceci, Mokurai, ericlewis0, annieli, ratcityreprobate, JGibson, This old man, poopdogcomedy
Diary Recommended By
Recommended by Joan McCarter
- On Saturday at 8 AM PT, the tech team will be moving Daily Kos from its current web host to Amazon's Web Services. We'll be taking the site down for an estimated one to three hours while we move our ...129 comments 131 Recs
- Nancy Pelosi's San Francisco chief of staff Dan Bernal meets with Daily Kos, CREDO Action, Sum of Us, Electronic Frontier Foundation & Corporate Accountability ...14 comments 58 Recs
- Ho. Lee. Crap. Check out this press release from Florida Governor and Lord Voldemort impersonator Rick Scott:33 comments 50 Recs
- In a move which stunned many Court observers—certainly including me—the ...56 comments 60 Recs
- Johno Espejo (left) and Matthew Mansell, a plaintiff couple in the marriage equality case, being interviewed outside the Supreme Court.52 comments 73 Recs
- Senator Bernie Sanders is running for President. From Vermont Public Radio : VPR News has learned from several sources that independent U.S. Sen. Bernie ...815 comments 536 Recs
- One of Corinthian Colleges' for-profit campuses. The drawn-out collapse of Corinthian Colleges was completed Sunday with the company's announcement that 28 of its campuses would be immediately ...41 comments 62 Recs
- Greetings from Asheville! DKos Asheville 4/28/15 DKos Asheville brought its eighth community meet up to life this past weekend with a historic appearance of a civil rights icon, Dr Fergie Reid, in ...45 comments 30 Recs
- Making new an old-fashioned party-building ...192 comments 195 Recs
Joan McCarter's Tags
- No current results.
Joan McCarter's Blogroll
- No current results.