Click here to add your name:The Trans-Pacific Partnership -- otherwise known as "NAFTA on steroids" -- was just dealt a huge blow. Late yesterday, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid told reporters in no uncertain terms that he opposes legislation that would "fast track" the treaty.
However, while Reid's firm stance diminishes the chances that the President will be given fast track authority by the Senate, it doesn't kill those chances completely. If Fast Track were to pass the House, Reid would be under overwhelming pressure from moderate Democrats -- especially those up for re-election this year -- to cave in and allow the bill to pass with mostly Republican votes.Progressives need to keep Reid out of that dangerous position. And we can't do that without the vocal support of House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi.
Reid did his part. Now it's time for Rep. Pelosi to do hers. Tell Nancy Pelosi to put her foot down -- publicly oppose Fast Track and the TPP today.
Nancy Pelosi is with us on the issues that matter most 90% of the time. She voted against giving President Bush fast track authority in 2002, and she was a vocal opponent of other similar trade deals like CAFTA. She's said publicly that she has concerns about the TPP. Yet she continues to avoid taking the kind of bold stance against Fast Track and TPP that might make a difference in the legislation's chances.
Right now, we need leadership -- not lip service -- to stop the next NAFTA. Potential Democratic co-sponsors of Fast Track in the House are watching Pelosi closely. They don't want to go against party leaders publicly. But if they can claim ignorance of the Minority Leader's position, they might jump in and give this bill the bipartisan credibility it needs to become law.
We've had Nancy Pelosi's back in the past. American workers need her help today. Tell Leader Pelosi to take a bold, clear stand against Fast Track and the TPP now.
Thank you for keeping Democrats honest,
Jim Dean, Chair
Democracy for America
Sorry to publish another diary so soon but this is important. Democracy For America is putting the pressure on House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D. CA-12) to stop the fast-track of the Trans-Pacific Partnership trade dealL
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
chuck utzman, Odysseus, wu ming, KayCeSF, Laurence Lewis, kurt, aliasalias, bobswern, TomP, fb, JamieG from Md, joe from Lowell, SouthernLiberalinMD, Azazello, Mr Robert, Brown Thrasher, Glen The Plumber, wasatch, Banach MacAmbrais, occupystephanie
Diary Recommended By
Recommended by poopdogcomedy
- Indiana Republican Gov. Mike Pence On Thursday, former state House Speaker and 2012 Democratic nominee John Gregg announced that he would seek a rematch with Republican Gov. Mike ...23 comments 33 Recs
- [UPDATE] Thanks @HillaryClinton . Looking forward to debating the big issues: income inequality, climate change & getting big money out of politics. — Bernie Sanders (@BernieSanders) April 30, ...376 comments 279 Recs
- Sen. Patty Murray (D-WA) ...77 comments 46 Recs
- Former Baltimore Mayor and Maryland Governor Martin O'Malley has been getting slammed in the media and by some here for what happened to Freddie Gray and for the Baltimore riots. His critics say ...130 comments 129 Recs
- Elise Stefanik On Tuesday, the DCCC launched a goofy little website targeting vulnerable House GOP freshmen, pairing them with pop songs from ostensible one-hit wonders (these guys are "one-term ...33 comments 15 Recs
- 356 comments 450 Recs
- Freddie Gray was killed by Baltimore's police. Baltimore's ghetto youthocracy responded with protests and an exhalation of random street violence. The killing of Freddie Gray, an unarmed black man ...222 comments 207 Recs
- Senator Bernie Sanders is running for President. From Vermont Public Radio : VPR News has learned from several sources that independent U.S. Sen. Bernie ...816 comments 536 Recs
- New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo ...15 comments 7 Recs
- How stupid is the right-wing media? Stupid enough ...45 comments 55 Recs
- No current results.