- Today's comic by Matt Bors is No more Woody Allen flicks:
- ADP reports 175,000 private-sector jobs created in January: Payroll-processing giant Automatic Data Processing released its monthly employment assessment Wednesday, estimating 175,000 new jobs were created by the private sector in January, 160,000 of them in the service sector. While construction rose by 25,000 jobs, manufacturing lost 12,000, according to ADP.
The firm does not estimate job creation in the public sector. In addition to its January report, ADP revised its estimate for December from 238,000 to 227,000 new jobs. The government's Bureau of Labor Statistics estimated last month that just 74,000 new jobs were created in December in both the private and public sector. The consensus of analysts surveyed by Bloomberg earlier this week is that, on Friday, the BLS will report 181,000 new jobs were created in January. Many economists believe the bureau will also revise its December estimate sharply upward.
- These Daily Kos community posts were the most shared on Facebook Feb. 4:
- On today's 500th episode, #TeamBlackness discusses the drug war double standard, how asking people to "go back to Africa" is still a thing, and how the RNC celebrates Black History Month.
Subscribe on iTunes | Subscribe On Stitcher | Direct Download | RSS
- CVS drugstore chain will no longer sell tobacco at its 7,600 outlets.
- Majority of Americans expect terrorist attacks at Olympics: Fifty-seven percent think an attack is likely, with 41 percent think not.
Americans also have a negative perception of Russia as a whole, according to the survey. Fifty-five percent have an unfavorable opinion of the country, up from 40% in 2011.
Russian President Vladimir Putin also polls low among Americans. Twenty percent have a favorable opinion of him compared to 54% who have an unfavorable opinion. Thirty-six percent say they are unsure.
- N.H. lawmaker wants a new voting option:
State Rep. Chuck Weed has introduced a bill in the New Hampshire Legislature that would add “none of the above” as an option to ballots, according to the Union Leader. If “none” wins there would be a new election.
- Sen. Mark Warner would sign petition to deport Justin Bieber:
"As a dad with three daughters is there someplace I can sign?" Warner said Tuesday on FM 99's "Rumble in the Morning" radio show when asked about the petition.
The Virginia Democrat later tweeted his willingness to sign on with a link to the station's story: "It's true: I'm not a #Belieber."
- Sandra Fluke will not seek Henry Waxman's congressional seat: Fluke, who became famous after ultra-right hate radio host Rush Limbaugh repeatedly called her a "slut" for her congressional testimony favoring mandatory insurance coverage of contraception, will instead run for the California Senate seat now held by Ted Lieu, a Democrat who is running for Waxman's seat.
- Eleven years ago today, Colin Powell told the U.N. that Saddam Hussein had weapons of mass destruction.
- On today's Kagro in the Morning show, the morning's buzz was about CVS, and Sochi accommodations, emphasis on the commodes. In more serious news: Greg Dworkin laments how "serious news" seriously misunderstands the CBO report, and Joan McCarter shares the worst of the worst from the traditional media. Also: the new farm bill, bogus "insurance bailout" claims, and Gop debt ceiling disarray. Plus, Joan outlines a big theme: partisan polarization reversing openness & transparency gains in the legislative process. Lastly, Mark Ames on the passing of former Rep. Otis Pike, the first in Congress to take on the NSA.
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
eeff, mungley, xxdr zombiexx, Brecht, gpoutney, justiceputnam, Pandoras Box, JeffW, LinSea, Canadian Green Card Alien, Dragon5616, commonmass, ericlewis0, wintergreen8694, winglion, belinda ridgewood, Says Who, aresea, Ishmaelbychoice, The Marti
Diary Recommended By
Recommended by Meteor Blades
- The big news: Nigerian army [http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/04/28/us-nigeria-violence-rescue-idUSKBN0NJ2FK20150428?feedType=RSS&feedName=topNews&utm_source=twitter rescued 293 women and girls] ...22 comments 27 Recs
- Oscar Grant Plaza filled Saturday afternoon with a couple hundred people come to the first #BlackSpring event in Oakland. The organizers came up with a great idea, an its already spread across the ...9 comments 48 Recs
- Not much to say, other than this: I gave to Bernie Sanders' campaign yesterday and it's been a long time since I've given money to a candidate and had a real sense that my donation - and the ...10 comments 19 Recs
- Yesterday, Pope Francis led a celebration for the soon-to-be canonized Junípero Serra by praising the 18th century Spanish Franciscan friar who founded the first nine of 21 Spanish missions in ...36 comments 18 Recs
- I keep a close watch on this heart of mine I keep my eyes wide open all the time I keep the ends out for the tie that binds Because you're mine, I walk the line I Walk the Line , by Johnny Cash ...21 comments 41 Recs
- Solid science education is the best inoculation against ignorance.25 comments 19 Recs
- Out of the clear blue sky Greg Abbott, the recently elected Governor of the once great state of Texas, decided to outdo his usually over-the-top tea party rhetoric the other day. I mean, is this ...12 comments 17 Recs
- A daily series, Connect! Unite! Act! seeks to create face-to-face networks in each congressional district. Groups ...89 comments 36 Recs
Meteor Blades's Tags
- Abortion (12306)
- Afghanistan (11497)
- Anti-War (1998)
- Antiwar (383)
- Bill Moyer (12)
- Climate Change (24702)
- Community (90309)
- Cranky Users (302)
- Daily Kos Photo Cooperative (16)
- DK4 (1686)
- Ecology (2376)
- Economy (55812)
- eKos (12436)
- Environment (45664)
- FNN&V (20)
- Gulf Watchers (1195)
- International (14705)
- Jobs (12408)
- Labor (28263)
- Libya (4263)