- Today's comic by Ruben Bolling is The truth about numbers: Bible Math!
- These Daily Kos community posts were the most shared on Facebook Feb. 12:
- 86-year-old Walter Mondale recovering from heart surgery:
Former Vice President Walter Mondale underwent successful heart surgery on Wednesday in Rochester, Minnesota.
"He is resting comfortably and is expected to make a full recovery. His family requests privacy at this time," the Mayo Clinic said in a statement.
Mondale's wife, Joan, died earlier this month and her memorial service was held this past weekend.
- Retail sales plunge: For those thinking the two most recent lousy monthly jobs reports were mere flukes, Thursday's release of growth in retail sales figures for January over December should be sobering. Down 0.4 percent. And December's previously reported rise of 0.2 percent from November was revised to a drop of 0.1 percent. Both were below the consensus of experts surveyed ahead of the release.
- Meanwhile, initial claims for unemployment compensation rose to 339,000. For the comparable week of 2013, applications for 348,000 initial claims were filed. The less-volatile four-week running average rose to 336,750.
- Rethinking parsimony when it comes to school snow day closings:
A new study conducted by Harvard Kennedy School Assistant Professor Joshua Goodman finds that snow days do not impact student learning. In fact, he finds, keeping schools open during a storm is more detrimental to learning than a school closure.
- Free skier saves Sochi puppies:
Gus Kenworthy's tweets showing photos of him with adorable stray puppies in Sochi are eliciting awwws around the world. Even better, the images are more than just a photo op.
Kenworthy, a freeskier from Telluride, Colo., competing in slopestyle at the Olympics, apparently came across a bunch of strays and pledged to save the little cuties and bring them home with him. Given Sochi's mandate to exterminate street dogs, this makes Kenworthy's gesture double doggone awesome.
- Reporter covering W.Va. coal slurry spill has a spill of his own.
- ABC affiliate's sports anchor Dale Hansen scorches people who don't want gay NFL players. Here's an excerpt of his smackdown:
Several NFL officials are telling Sports Illustrated it will hurt him on draft day because a gay player wouldn't be welcome in an NFL locker room. It would be uncomfortable, because that's a man's world.
You beat a woman and drag her down a flight of stairs, pulling her hair out by the roots? You're the fourth guy taken in the NFL draft.
You kill people while driving drunk? That guy's welcome.
Players caught in hotel rooms with illegal drugs and prostitutes? We know they're welcome.
Players accused of rape and pay the woman to go away?
You lie to police trying to cover up a murder?
We're comfortable with that.
You love another man? Well, now you've gone too far.
- Coastal sea rise could cost $100 trillion annually by 2100:
If global warming continues on its present ominous path, and if no significant adaptation measures are launched, then coastal flooding could be costing the planet’s economies $100,000 billion a year by 2100.
And perhaps 5% of the people on the planet—up to 600 million people—could be hit by coastal flooding by the end of the century, according to new research in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.
- On today's Kagro in the Morning show, snow didn't take the live show out, but server downtime did. Greg Dworkin joined us to note that Christie is still toast, perhaps more so than ever, as reporters fill the investigative lulls with stories mining his bullying past. A new Q Poll runs head-to-heads in NY, Christie vs. Clinton and Cuomo. ACA sign-ups surge. Armando weighs in on Rand Paul's NSA lawsuit, Comcast's proposed buyout of Time Warner Cable, the NJ state police's denial that Chris Christie overflew the GWB on 9/11, and the NSA's allegation that Snowden tricked a coworker into giving him his password. Another look at TN Gop's senseless threats against VW.
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
mimi, eeff, Eyesbright, PSzymeczek, JeffW, annieli, IllanoyGal, wintergreen8694, ratcityreprobate, DRo, Mr Robert, belinda ridgewood, jbsoul
Diary Recommended By
Recommended by Meteor Blades
- Go to BernieSanders.com and give!9 comments 24 Recs
- Right after Bernie Sanders announced his intention to run, grassroots supporters from the occupy, labor, environmental and socialist movements published an open letter endorsing his candidacy . ...46 comments 67 Recs
- 82 comments 168 Recs
- A daily series, Connect! Unite! Act! seeks to create face-to-face networks in each congressional district. Groups ...95 comments 31 Recs
- Yesterday 174 Kogs posted 218 posts of which 210 were recommended at least once by a cadre of 1781 recommending readers; 123 posts were recommended by 10 or more readers, 54 by 30 or more, ...4 comments 18 Recs
- Welcome! " The Evening Blues" is a casual community diary (published Monday - Friday, 8:00 PM Eastern) where we hang out, share and talk about news, music, photography and other things of ...118 comments 31 Recs
- 44 comments 34 Recs
- On Saturday at 8 AM PT, the tech team will be moving Daily Kos from its current web host to Amazon's Web Services. We'll be taking the site down for an estimated one to three hours while we move our ...129 comments 131 Recs
Meteor Blades's Tags
- Abortion (12304)
- Afghanistan (11497)
- Anti-War (1998)
- Antiwar (383)
- Bill Moyer (12)
- Climate Change (24702)
- Community (90294)
- Cranky Users (302)
- Daily Kos Photo Cooperative (16)
- DK4 (1686)
- Ecology (2376)
- Economy (55793)
- eKos (12436)
- Environment (45655)
- FNN&V (20)
- Gulf Watchers (1195)
- International (14703)
- Jobs (12408)
- Labor (28252)
- Libya (4263)