- Today's comic by Ruben Bolling is Billy the Kitty goes to the click farm for Facebook likes:
- These Daily Kos community posts were the most shared on Facebook Feb. 26:
- Applications for unemployment compensation rise: For the week ending Feb. 22, according to the Department of Labor, seasonally adjusted initial claims for unemployment compensation rose 14,000 from the previous week to 348,000. That is the same number of applications as for the comparable week of 2013. The four-week running average was 338,250, unchanged from the previous week's revised average. The total number of people making claims for the week ending Feb. 8 was 3,486,060, down 26,388 from the previous week. For the comparable week of 2013, there were 5,764,168 persons making claims. The bulk of that huge drop can be attributed to the fact that some two million Americans who would be receiving federal compensation for having been unemployed for more than 27 weeks are now getting bupkis because Republicans blocked renewal of the program, which expired Dec. 28.
- How Democratic is your name?
- Legalizing marijuana makes it to the Alaska ballot: And there are likely to be more such efforts soon.
A little over a year after Colorado and Washington legalized marijuana, more than half the states, including some in the conservative South, are considering decriminalizing the drug or legalizing it for medical or recreational use. That has set up a watershed year in the battle over whether marijuana should be as acceptable as alcohol.
Demonstrating how marijuana is no longer a strictly partisan issue, the two states considered likeliest this year to follow Colorado and Washington in outright legalization of the drug are Oregon, dominated by liberal Democrats, and Alaska, where libertarian Republicans hold sway.
- Texas GOP lieutenant governor gaffe-tweets on marriage equality: Dan Patrick tweeted “MARRIAGE = ONE MAN & ONE MAN. Enough of these activist judges. … I know the silent majority out there is with us!” The caps lock portion was quickly changed to MARRIAGE = ONE MAN & ONE WOMAN" and the original deleted. Soon, another tweet appeared:
- Paula Deen should only open her mouth to put food in it. Here she is in an interview with People:
"I feel like 'embattled' or 'disgraced' will always follow my name. It's like that black football player who recently came out. He said, 'I just want to be known as a football player. I don't want to be known as a gay football player.' I know exactly what he's saying. I'm fighting to get my name back."
- When they start talking about "bringing back" velociraptors, will we get to vote on it? "De-extinction" is cool for Stewart Brand and others eager create a reasonable facsimile of a passenger pigeon or 100,000 woolly mammoths to turn lose in the Arctic tundra. But what about other species?
[Beth] Shapiro is no more sanguine about the woolly-mammoth project. “You’re never going to get a genetic clone of a mammoth,” she said. “What’s going to happen, I imagine, is that someone, maybe George Church, is going to insert some genes into the Asian-elephant genome that make it slightly hairier. That would be just a tiny portion of the genome manipulated, but a few years later, you have a thing born that is an elephant, only hairier, and the press will write, ‘George Church has cloned a mammoth!’ ” Church, though he plans to do more than just alter the gene for hairiness, concedes the point. “I would like to have an elephant that likes the cold weather,” he told me. “Whether you call it a ‘mammoth’ or not, I don’t care.”
- Watch six GOP Senate candidates in Colorado deny climate change.
- On today's Kagro in the Morning show, both sides-ism strikes again. So does "fact checking," says Greg Dworkin. Rationalizing Arizona: conscience should be consequence free! NRA, ALEC lawlessness: shutting down RI's NRA; judge takes bribes to send kids to pvt prison.
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
Gooserock, CoolOnion, navajo, Eyesbright, HeyMikey, Inland, peacestpete, Lefty Coaster, Mr MadAsHell, mikejay611, ratcityreprobate, DRo, Eric Nelson, aresea, howabout, Kombema
Diary Recommended By
Recommended by Meteor Blades
- Very dangerous woman ...1 comments 1 Recs
- Minnesota State Representative David Bly , D-20B (Northfield), is a longtime champion of sensible agricultural practices that benefit everyone and everything. Chief among them: the preservation of ...4 comments 4 Recs
- 11 comments 24 Recs
- For decades now whenever I see intolerance, bigotry, hypocrisy, homophobia or the like it's almost certainly coming from someone who claims to be a "good, God fearing Christian". From the haters ...94 comments 67 Recs
- The Kansas Democratic Party has completed their search for the next executive director of the party, and the answer came from within. Kerry Gooch, formerly political director for the Kansas ...4 comments 13 Recs
- That is all.36 comments 24 Recs
- My quilt has arrived! I do not have the words to thank you all. Welcome, fellow travelers on the grief journey and a special welcome to anyone new to The Grieving Room. We meet every Monday ...66 comments 113 Recs
- Cross-posted from Real Economics . The TPP has brought the issue of "free trade agreements" to the fore again, so I think it is time we looked honestly at what has happened to the three North ...44 comments 54 Recs
- Welcome to Kitchen Table Kibitzing! Tonight is Open Thread Night. Please make yourself at home and enjoy the company of our community!94 comments 38 Recs
Meteor Blades's Tags
- Abortion (12320)
- Afghanistan (11497)
- Anti-War (1998)
- Antiwar (383)
- Bill Moyer (12)
- Climate Change (24713)
- Community (90377)
- Cranky Users (302)
- Daily Kos Photo Cooperative (16)
- DK4 (1686)
- Ecology (2376)
- Economy (55851)
- eKos (12437)
- Environment (45708)
- FNN&V (20)
- Gulf Watchers (1195)
- International (14752)
- Jobs (12419)
- Labor (28284)
- Libya (4265)