- Today's comic by Jen Sorensen is Tyranny of the collectivists:
- These Daily Kos community posts were the most shared on Facebook April 14:
Monica Jones, AZ Transgender woman convicted of the crime "Walking While Trans", by kellybusey
The Simpsons hit it out of the park, by gjohnsit
- TPM discovers that it had interviewed accused shooter Frazier Glenn Miller back in 2012: It was not Miller (who allegedly shot three over the weekend at the Kansas City Jewish Community Center) that TPM reporter Ryan Reilly was interested in at the time. It was Miller's association with Kevin Harpham, the guy who engineered the bombing of a Martin Luther King Jr. Day parade in Spokane, Wash., in 2011.
Miller told us he believed Harpham had been framed because it didn't figure he'd bomb an MLK parade. "He was more of an anti-Semite than an anti-black racist. He focused on what the Jews were doing to us, rather than what blacks do to us. Blacks, they have little power except what the Jews allow them to have. Jews call the shots. But white people, we have no power at all. We have nobody representing us, we have no leaders, we have no organization, we have no unity, no solidarity, we're not even allowed to complain about our extinction."
- Romney placard disappears from image on John Kasich's re-election website.
- One year, one city. A photo today of people whose lives intersected a year ago at the Boston Marathon.
- Anti-vaxxers kill:
In communities across the nation, Americans of all stripes are making dangerous decisions to reschedule or forgo immunization, says Alan Hinman, a scientist who sits on the scientific advisory board of Voices for Vaccines, which supports and advocates for on-time vaccinations. [...]
During a 2008 measles outbreak in San Diego, CDC officials were shocked to find school districts where one in five children were not vaccinated against the disease, she says.
Last year, California had the largest number of unprotected kindergartners not vaccinated for their parents' philosophical reasons: 14,921. This year, 49 cases of measles had been reported by March. The state had four cases by that time last year.
- Government says Bundy saga not over yet: On Monday, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid of Nevada said the fight between the Bureau of Land Management and outlaw rancher Cliven Bundy isn't over. "We can't have an American people that violate the law and then just walk away from it. So it's not over." The BLM backed away from a stand-off with Bundy and hundreds of protesters, including armed militia and returned cattle they had confiscated because Bundy refuses to pay fees to graze his cattle on public land.
Nevada Assemblywoman Michele Fiore said she spent much of the past week with the Bundy family and helped feed some of the calves that were returned over the weekend.
"It's going to take a lot to revive the calves that were nearly dead when they were returned to the Bundy Ranch because they had been separated from their mothers during the roundup, and a few most likely won't make it," said Fiore, a Republican from Las Vegas. "It's time for Nevada to stand up to the federal government and demand the return of the BLM lands to the people of Nevada."
- Cultivating insecurity in rookie Wall Street analysts.
- Two environmental advocacy groups team up to elect climate hawks:
The League of Conservation Voters and the Natural Resources Defense Council Action Fund are starting LeadingGreen, a collaboration that will steer donations to federal candidates and enlist the help of major donors in lobbying elected officials. Although it was not prompted by the Supreme Court’s decision this month to strike down the overall limit on how much individuals can give candidates and political parties, LCV President Gene Karpinski said the ruling highlights what has motivated the two groups.
- On today's rerun of the Kagro in the Morning show, it's the April 16, 2013, episode, featuring Greg Dworkin, Armando & Meteor Blades, in the immediate aftermath of the Boston Marathon bombing, discussing all that insanity entailed.
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
Gooserock, eeff, J Rae, Knucklehead, twigg, OHdog, JeffW, commonmass, FogCityJohn, annieli, Mr MadAsHell, anyname, wintergreen8694, DRo, Eric Nelson, a2nite, belinda ridgewood, aresea, Cadillac64, IndyDemGirl, HardBallMike
Diary Recommended By
Recommended by Meteor Blades
- Go to BernieSanders.com and give!9 comments 24 Recs
- Right after Bernie Sanders announced his intention to run, grassroots supporters from the occupy, labor, environmental and socialist movements published an open letter endorsing his candidacy . ...46 comments 67 Recs
- 81 comments 166 Recs
- A daily series, Connect! Unite! Act! seeks to create face-to-face networks in each congressional district. Groups ...95 comments 31 Recs
- Yesterday 174 Kogs posted 218 posts of which 210 were recommended at least once by a cadre of 1781 recommending readers; 123 posts were recommended by 10 or more readers, 54 by 30 or more, ...4 comments 17 Recs
- Welcome! " The Evening Blues" is a casual community diary (published Monday - Friday, 8:00 PM Eastern) where we hang out, share and talk about news, music, photography and other things of ...118 comments 31 Recs
- 44 comments 34 Recs
- On Saturday at 8 AM PT, the tech team will be moving Daily Kos from its current web host to Amazon's Web Services. We'll be taking the site down for an estimated one to three hours while we move our ...128 comments 131 Recs
Meteor Blades's Tags
- Abortion (12304)
- Afghanistan (11497)
- Anti-War (1998)
- Antiwar (383)
- Bill Moyer (12)
- Climate Change (24702)
- Community (90294)
- Cranky Users (302)
- Daily Kos Photo Cooperative (16)
- DK4 (1686)
- Ecology (2376)
- Economy (55791)
- eKos (12436)
- Environment (45655)
- FNN&V (20)
- Gulf Watchers (1195)
- International (14703)
- Jobs (12408)
- Labor (28252)
- Libya (4263)