- Today's comic by Tom Tomorrow is Lab rats:
- This is what you missed on Sunday:
William Buckley’s minions campaign to ax the Civil Rights Act, by Denise Oliver Velez
The red state health care deficit is expanding, by Jon Perr
Democracy at risk as plutocracy homes in on taking over the Internet, by Egberto Willies
Ross Douthat's millennial marxists, by Dante Atkins
- We don't all breathe the same air, which kills people of color disproportionately:
Earlier this month, environmental scientists at the University of Minnesota came out with a startling nationwide study showing that different demographic groups are exposed to drastically different amounts of air pollution each year. The study overlaid US Census data with exposure levels of a pollutant called nitrogen dioxide, or NO2, which is created by combustion in vehicles and power plants. The results: Each year, people of color are exposed to 46 percent more NO2 than white people.
NO2 is associated with increased heart disease, lung cancer, asthma, and preterm births, and is one of six "criteria pollutants" that the Environmental Protection Agency regulates in accordance with the Clean Air Act. Interestingly, the exposure gap between races was far larger than the gap between income brackets. If your household income is more than $70,000, you're exposed to NO2 only 3 percent less than someone who lives in a household making under $20,000.
The overall NO2 levels and the disparity levels between races varied widely by city.
- Meet the Congressman who represents the Emerald Triangle: That Northern California region grows most of the nation's marijuana. Jared Huffman, the Democrat who represents the district, discusses legalization, environmental destruction from illegal pot farms and related issues, including why his kids are in "big trouble" if he catches them smoking weed.
- BYU survey has an option for student sexuality: Heterosexuality. Actually, there are two choices: "I am heterosexual, but I struggle with same-sex attraction" or "I am heterosexual and do not struggle with same-sex attraction." If you're gay and that isn't a struggle, you'll have pick the "other" option. For LGBT Mormons, at BYU or anywhere else, the only acceptable choice is life-long chastity. The church also backs bogus "therapy" designed to turn gays straight.
- U.S. high school graduation rate at 80 percent:
The high school graduation rate has topped 80 percent for the first time in U.S. history—and if states can keep up their rapid pace of improvement, the rate could hit 90 percent by 2020, according to federal data released Monday.
The improvement has been driven by steep gains among African-American and Hispanic students and by progress in shutting down hundreds of troubled urban schools dubbed “dropout factories.”
- The Donald goes after the other Donald: In addition to calling L.A. Clippers' owner Donald Sterling's racist remarks "despicable," Donald Trump said his girl friend is from hell. And that's not all:
“I think he could be out of it, frankly, based on his actions,” Trump said. “He could be pretty much out of it in terms of his whole mentality.”Diagnosis by Dr. Trump. What's next?
- BP won't pay for more Gulf oil spill research: The oil giant, which recently got the go ahead for more drilling in the Gulf of Mexico and won several b ids for new drilling tracts there, says it won't pay for more research into the impact of 2010 Deepwater Horizon oil spill.
BP boasts that it has paid more than $1 billion for damage assessment so far, as if that were some kind of an altruistic act. The company claims that the government is withholding scientific data produced during the assessment from its attorneys—data it says would prove that its oil spill wasn’t really all that bad.
- On today's Kagro in the Morning show, Greg Dworkin rounds up Sterling, Piketty, ACA in FL-GOV & 2014 turnout. Brain injury, incarceration & homelessness. NRA declares "war on America." Remember Tea Party rage, "Where's MY bailout?!" Well, they've found it!
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
LuvSet, eeff, CoolOnion, navajo, Diana in NoVa, Krush, Mary Mike, Its the Supreme Court Stupid, enhydra lutris, Mathazar, Eric Nelson, aresea, Patango, Cadillac64
Diary Recommended By
Recommended by Meteor Blades
- Minnesota State Representative David Bly , D-20B (Northfield), is a longtime champion of sensible agricultural practices that benefit everyone and everything. Chief among them: the preservation of ...4 comments 4 Recs
- 11 comments 23 Recs
- For decades now whenever I see intolerance, bigotry, hypocrisy, homophobia or the like it's almost certainly coming from someone who claims to be a "good, God fearing Christian". From the haters ...86 comments 63 Recs
- The Kansas Democratic Party has completed their search for the next executive director of the party, and the answer came from within. Kerry Gooch, formerly political director for the Kansas ...4 comments 12 Recs
- That is all.35 comments 24 Recs
- Cross-posted from Real Economics . The TPP has brought the issue of "free trade agreements" to the fore again, so I think it is time we looked honestly at what has happened to the three North ...37 comments 52 Recs
- Welcome to Kitchen Table Kibitzing! Tonight is Open Thread Night. Please make yourself at home and enjoy the company of our community!94 comments 37 Recs
- Welcome! " The Evening Blues" is a casual community diary (published Monday - Friday, 8:00 PM Eastern) where we hang out, share and talk about news, music, photography and other things of ...61 comments 28 Recs
Meteor Blades's Tags
- Abortion (12319)
- Afghanistan (11497)
- Anti-War (1998)
- Antiwar (383)
- Bill Moyer (12)
- Climate Change (24711)
- Community (90375)
- Cranky Users (302)
- Daily Kos Photo Cooperative (16)
- DK4 (1686)
- Ecology (2376)
- Economy (55850)
- eKos (12437)
- Environment (45703)
- FNN&V (20)
- Gulf Watchers (1195)
- International (14747)
- Jobs (12419)
- Labor (28283)
- Libya (4265)