The North Head Lighthouse, located in the Cape Disappointment State Park in Washington, was maintained by lighthouse keepers from 1898 until 1961 when the facility was automated. The original lamp in the lighthouse was an oil lamp with five wicks. This meant that the lighthouse keepers had to carry gallons of oil up the narrow, winding staircase every day to keep the light burning. They also had to trim the wicks and adjust the flame height and ventilation. The lens also required daily polishing and every two months the lens had to be polished with wine to ensure a brightly shining light. Shown below are some photographs of the lighthouse, the trail to the lighthouse, and the area around it.
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
blueyedace2, coolbreeze, Delta Overdue, slksfca, Youffraita, mayim, nchristine, LinSea, jakedog42, implicate order, enhydra lutris, foresterbob, rschndr, Rashaverak, state of confusion, FloridaSNMOM, CA ridebalanced, belinda ridgewood, RonK, RiveroftheWest, OceanDiver
Diary Recommended By
Recommended by Ojibwa
- A daily series, Connect! Unite! Act! seeks to create face-to-face networks in each congressional district. Groups ...69 comments 57 Recs
- Those of you who already either ...96 comments 85 Recs
- I’m in a rage right now. Washington is not playing political games. They are destroying our country and our people. America is a world leader in child hunger, poverty, and homelessness. We are ...40 comments 72 Recs
- The Devil's Hands Are Idle Playthings It's hard to figuratively pick up the newspaper these without seeing something concerning ...85 comments 100 Recs
- It is completely counter-intuitive to turn in to suffering. In fact, most people spend their entire lives trying to aim for pleasure and avoid suffering. The problem with that strategy is that ...49 comments 30 Recs
- This post is aimed mainly at Americans. Religious persecution has two sides: the persecuted, and the persecutor. You are the persecuted if you are being hassled for, or prevented from, ...40 comments 8 Recs
- I have Reid home from the hospital. The foot doesn't look as bad as I feared it would. He doesn't appear to be in pain and is glad to be home. Because of the long narrow shape of his foot I don't ...6 comments 25 Recs
- Yup, I'm Rec-begging on this one 'cus I am *angry* (if not surprised). One week ago I posted en entry titled "Color me shocked: Michigan GOP State Senator spewing nonsense" , which documented an ...85 comments 518 Recs