Below you'll find recent contributions related to JohnKWilson's followed authors, tags, and groups.
|Indigo Kalliope: Poems from the Left: May's 1st Tuesday--Absorbing a Loss
My mother and our friend at my husband's and my wedding. As is often the case, I've composed a poem about what has been uppermost in my mind lately, having attended the memorial service for a ...
|Monday Murder Mystery: 2015 Agatha & Edgar Award winners
On April 29th, in New York City, the Mystery Writers of America announced the 2015 Edgar Award winners. A Monday Murder Mystery (MMM) diary with all of the nominees can be ...
|Sports and Risk-Taking Abilities
The Academy Award winning 1953 film From Here to Eternity tells the story of Private Robert E. Lee Prewitt. Earlier in life, before joining the army, he was a successful boxer, but he hung up his ...
|Research Rewind: Forward, Boy Commandos!
The end is near. By this I mean that I'm entering the home stretch of this year's six week long experiment in reprinting old diaries as I lurch grimly toward Kalamazoo. The paper is partially done,
|You Can't Read That!
You Can’t Read That! is a periodic post featuring banned book reviews and news roundups. YCRT! Banned Book News I linked to an earlier story on this in a previous YCRT! diary, but here's more ...
|Books Go Boom! Dai Sijie's 'Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress'
This book review is slightly long - but I crammed it full of thought, feeling, experience and imagination. Then I lovingly planished the prose until it flowed smoothly. This diary has sandpipers vs.
|Books In My Life: The Lure of Murder
The other day, I was perusing our Netflix watchlist for movies to stream as well as the Recently Watched list and then all the Because You Watched This, You Might Like This suggestions, and I turned ...
|Write On! Cheez-Its and Genre
Hello, writers. Write On! has returned now to the 8 p.m. Eastern/5 p.m. Pacific timeslot that we had previously. I hope that will be more convenient for the West Coast folks. I mentioned last week ...
|Prayers and Light for Baltimore (and Beyond)
I wrote what follows specifically to my Quaker Meeting, but also to any who would hear my message. It is a brief open letter.
|Self-publishing 101: How and why to copyright your book
I just received my official copyright notice so I thought I'd take a minute today to talk about copyrighting. The process itself is relatively easy but some of the questions along the way were a ...
|Bookflurries-Bookchat: Truth Is Stranger Than Fiction
Welcome to bookchat where you can talk about anything...books, plays, essays, and books on tape. You don’t have to be reading a book to come in, sit down, and chat with us. There are often ...
|Appetite For Blather: Indigo Kalliope: Poems From the Left
You have no one but you to blame if you cannot hear the sky. When the air is jelled and cloying, the phone book will not open. Soil packs too hard for fingernails, too soft for pails and shovels. ...
|Tom Sawyer ejaculates! And when word meanings change
I was startled to find not one, but two ejaculations on the pages of “Tom Sawyer.” And here I wasn’t even sure the 139-year-old Tom has been through puberty. I wondered if perhaps I’d ...
|LGBT Literature: We Are Everywhere (and a call for writers)
LGBT Literature is a Readers and Book Lovers series dedicated to discussing books that have made an impact on the lives of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people. From fiction to ...
|Update & Thank You from Youffraita
Hey all, if you were around last Wednesday, Youffraita got some bad news about being evicted from her apartment on very short notice. Thanks to belinda ridgewood's diary , Youffraita got some needed ...
|not a lamb||04/26/2015||20|
|Research Rewind: Around the World With Clueless Tourists
A month from now, my captivity will all be over. That's because I'll have, God willing, finished my paper, driven out to Kalamazoo with Ysabel, delivered my paper, become part of the new troika in ...
|He Could Have Been the Greatest Kossack There Ever Was. This is His Story. (Poll)
Had he lived in our times, he (we'll call him Bill) could have been a prominent blogger on Daily Kos. In fact, given his way with words and unique ability to coin new phrases, I'm sure he'd have ...
|Write On! Waking up.
Hello, writers. Write On! is returning now to the 8 p.m. Eastern/5 p.m. Pacific timeslot that we had previously. I hope this will be more convenient for the West Coast folks. Lately, for various ...
|Bookflurries-Bookchat: Gripping Adventures
Welcome to bookchat where you can talk about anything...books, plays, essays, and books on tape. You don’t have to be reading a book to come in, sit down, and chat with us. My readers are ...
Recommended by JohnKWilson
- Exposing religious zealotry is undermined if we are overzealous ourselves. An effort by the pro-LGBT group Truth Wins Out (TWO) to block the opening of a private Bible museum in the Nation's ...30 comments 16 Recs
- Is economic inequality growing in American higher education?4 comments 11 Recs
- Sam, at age five. Sam is a 13 year-old female cat. In 2000, a neighborhood friend alerted me to the presence of three stray kittens who were living under his porch. I took one of them into my home, ...104 comments 160 Recs
- Toi Hutchinson took $100,000 from an organization that targeted Chicago ...11 comments 28 Recs
- From Fordham University's Costas Panagopoulos, director of the university's Center for Electoral Politics and Democracy. "For all the ridicule directed towards pre-election polling, the final ...167 comments 133 Recs
- My patience has worn thin listening to Rodney Davis complain about campaign ads on his ties to convicted former Governor George Ryan. Davis claims the ads by DCCC are misleading, but Davis has never ...1 comments 6 Recs
- How did I miss this whopper?! Republican Congressional candidate Rodney Davis claimed during a radio interview that climate change stopped sixteen years ago. Clearly, you can tell that's true ...10 comments 11 Recs
- Editor's note: After the success of the recent Daily Kos fundraiser, Markos gave me the go-ahead to add some new cartoonists to our lineup. Today marks the debut of Brian McFadden, the creator ...36 comments 50 Recs
- Cross Posted at Legal Schnauzer The CEO of a student-housing development company is threatening to ...176 comments 320 Recs
- I am a tenured associate professor at one of the largest (though, let me emphasize, not one of the highest ranked) public universities in the U.S. How can I explain why it is that this often makes ...205 comments 209 Recs
- No current results.
- No current results.