Posting History for Notthemayor
|"The needs of the many..."
"Outweigh the needs of the few, or the one." "It is curious how often you humans manage to obtain that which you do not want." Read more at http://www.top10-best.com/m/top_10_best_mr_spock_quotes....
|For You, Boo
The world lost one of its brightest souls today. He died peacefully, at home. No cat carrier, no needles. He was sick, and he was frail, and that was the best we could hope for. Till we meet again, ...
|"A New Birth of Freedom"
Tuesday will mark 150 years since America's greatest President delivered America's greatest speech. There exists no definitive text of the Gettysburg Address. Five copies exist in Abraham Lincoln's ...
|The Stupid, Bloody End of "The War to End All Wars"
95 years ago today one of the most destructive...and stupidest...wars in human history came to a bloody close. What we now call the First World War claimed 35 to 40 MILLION lives. In it's final, ...
|Remembering Gettysburg, 150 Years On
At about this minute 150 years ago today Private Christian Zeitler of Company G of the 62nd Pennsylvania infantry stood in line of battle with his comrades, prepared to engage the enemy. It was two ...
|Dear Senator Reid...
My final, for now, letter to Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid. If you can stomach it, continue below the squiggle for the disappointment...
|Peace On Earth
I still have no words befitting the depth of the tragedy at Sandy Hook. Perhaps on reflection I will. Probably not. For some reason...the jarring juxtaposition of season and slaughter, I think......
|Why I am voting for President Obama
I posted the following on Facebook last night. It has more likes and shares than anything else I've said on this election so I thought I'd share it here. Even my vocal Republican friends (Yes, I ...
|Worst Presidential Nominee Ever?
Gleefully watching the rolling calamity that is the presidential campaign of Mr. Willard Mitt Romney navigate the distance between Swiftian satire and flat-out Three Stooges slapstick, I have more ...
|Hitler Hitler Everywhere! (I think I need a drink...)
Okay, so here's the deal. Tonight, after posting the Romney 47% video on Facebook, I suddenly get an e-mail from a right-wing friend. (Yeah, I have some of those. I even have a friend who's a ...
|That Was Then, This is Now...So Long Davy Jones
Sad to read of the passing of Monkee Davy Jones. I'm not going to write a long appreciation. It was a TV show I enjoyed as a child. Their music to this day makes me smile.
|Re: Operation Hilarity, Rick Santorum and the Law of Unintended Consequences
I understand the urge. He's a joke. He's a clown. Um...but...what if he wins?
|Christmas Songs for a Jewish Athiest||Notthemayor||12/24/2011||4||3||-||51|
|Captain America Sheds a Tear Tonight
A good man died after living a long and productive life. We should all be so lucky. Though many of you may not know the man's name you almost certainly know his work. He was a writer, an artist, ...
|Pittsburgh OKs Library Tax in Referendum
A bit of nice news from the Steel City, where voters today approved a ballot initiative for an additional property tax of .25 mils...the equivalent of 25¢ per $1000 of assessed value...to support ...
|I Went to Pay My Respects
The ride on the F train from Manhattan took 45 minutes but the journey was far longer. They crossed an ocean. I came from Pittsburgh. We were separated not just by 11 decades, but by a family ...
|Jerry Leiber, Rock ‘n’ Roll Lyricist, Dies at 78
I was going to stay away from this...because I fear I am quickly becoming the writer who specializes in dead guys...but it seems that nobody has commented on the passing of lyricist Jerry Leiber. ...
|Groucho Sums It Up||Notthemayor||08/19/2011||39||11||-||163|
|American Heroes Neglected and Segregated, Even in the Grave: A Short Update||Notthemayor||07/11/2011||12||17||-||63|
|American Heroes Neglected and Segregated, Even in the Grave
"There will be some black men who can remember that, with silent tongue, and clenched teeth, and steady eye, and well-poised bayonet, they have helped mankind on to this great ...
|"Everything's a Conspiracy" - PA Wingnut Governor Rigging the Game for Gas Industry
Not taking any credit for this; it's via the blog Young Philly Politics . ...
|The President's New Entrance Theme (& Other Highlights)
Highlights of the Presidents appearance at the White House Correspondents Dinner. It's not hysterically funny like, oh say...video of a White House WMD search...but not everybody is a gifted comic ...
|Breaking: Bob McDonnell Declares John Wilkes Booth Day in Virginia
In conjunction with his declaration of April as Confederate History Month Virginia Governor Bob McDonnell declared today John Wilkes Booth Day in the state of Virginia.
|How the Veterans Administration (Doesn't) Care for our Vets -Update
Below, with no further editorial comment, is a letter I have just mailed the VA regarding benefits for my father, a low-income WW2 era vet. Identifying information has been removed to protect his ...
|Right-Wing Bushie Mary Beth Buchanan is STILL a US Attorney???
From the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette: U.S. Attorney Mary Beth Buchanan is pondering a run for Congress to challenge Democrat Rep. Jason Altmire next fall. Ms. Buchanan, a ...
|Someone Else Loses Their Job it's a Recession; Lose Your Own and it's a Depression
Saturday night was the last night. It was a nice little restaurant, on the outskirts of Pittsburgh. Great food, reasonable prices, friendly staff and owners who were just simply the nicest people in ...
|Specter's Switch & What it Means in the Keystone State
Today once again Pennsylvania finds itself unexpectedly at the epicenter of the national political scene. Today's headline story is the party switch of our senior Senator Arlen Specter. Many ...
|Supreme Court finally endorses Constitution - by a 5-4 vote
"The laws and constitution are designed to survive, and remain in force, in extraordinary times."
|On the Lighter Side: The South Shall Rise Again (Even Where it Never Got Up in the First Place!)
No wonder Republicans can't give up on the war in Iraq. Some of them are still fighting the American Civil War. Apparently they don't know they headed the winning team in the first one...
|You Know It Ain't Easy We When All We Are Saying Is Happy Christmas, War Is Over Give Peace A Chance
Every year, as the calendar turns to its final page, chill winds fill the air and Christmas songs fill the airwaves. In among the ho ho hos and jingle bells there is a voice from the past, a ...
|Tortured Logic and the Illogic of Torture
These past weeks, watching the tortured and torturous debate over the confirmation of Michael Mukasey to be Attorney General, one thought frequently entered my mind: How did we ever sink to the ...
|Mitt Romney Defends His Five Sons' Lack Of Military Service
What a scmuck! Just what this country needs, another damn fool in the White House who confuses himself with the country.
|China executes ex-food and drug chief; Scooter walks
BEIJING - Former Chinese State Food and Drug Administration director Zheng Xiaoyu was executed Tuesday for corruption. This action stands in strong contrast to the news from Washington a ...
|What I Learned from Captain America
"Someday this war will be over, and when it is I want to be sure that we're still the good guys."
|Bush & Signing Statements: Are We Still A Nation of Laws?
“The government of the United States has been emphatically termed a government of laws and not men,” Chief Justice John Marshall wrote in 1803. The phrase has echoed down the ages.
|Is the Daily Show the Best Journalism on Television?
Could be. Jon Stewart frequently interviews serious writers who couldn't get a phone call returned by the broadcast networks and the show doesn't waste a fraction as much time on Lindsay Lohan, ...
|Too Bad for you, Peggy Noonan!
In her recent piece titled "Too Bad" Peggy Noonan is shocked, shocked to discover that George W. Bush would suggest oppositon to his policies is un-American.
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from this blog?
Set the sticky flag for this diary in the slide rotation:
Set the maximum number of slides to display in the feature:
Recommended by Notthemayor
- For years, up to and including today, we hear the same old false equivalencies; walking down the street with a gun is like walking while, Black, or Jewish, or Gay or whatever. But, the most tried ...191 comments 240 Recs
- One of my favorite television shows growing up was Batman . Perhaps it was because I was a somewhat unusual little girl who hated dolls, adored a cast metal Tonka Truck to the point of almost ...132 comments 41 Recs
- “'I've made a lot of candidates look foolish, usually with a lot of help from the candidates themselves.” * His name is legend, so secure that in his mid-eighties his business card carries ...7 comments 11 Recs
- (This is a reprint of a diary I wrote a couple of years ago. Today is my Mom and Pixie's birthday. It was in honor of my Mom that I wrote this.) Sometimes as a caregiver you have to learn things. ...16 comments 51 Recs
- Originally posted at Talk to Action. In the last several posts we have examined an element of the Catholic Right comprised of neo-Confederate apologists who openly advocate both the state ...18 comments 44 Recs
- Let's be clear. Calling the Civil War, "The War of Northern Aggression" means it was a war of choice started by the North. If Saddam Hussein were still alive, I am sure he'd be calling the Iraq ...419 comments 545 Recs
- In 1938, Germany experienced a collective horror that's shaped and shaken the very core of modern history. The so-called Kristallnacht - the Night of Broken Glass - was an in-your-face realization ...207 comments 113 Recs
- The government is coming after our pets! How do I know? Registration. Why else would the government insist we register our cats and dogs? There is nothing in the Constitution giving government the ...72 comments 71 Recs
- Some folks might be ashamed to use the bodies of dead kids as cover for a power grab. That clearly doesn’t include Massachusetts Attorney-General Martha Coakley, last seen managing to lose a ...18 comments 13 Recs
- Recently, in a bar in Bangkok, I had a conversation with a friend of mine about Sergeant Alvin York. That led me to consider York’s life in the context of our era’s politics. Much of the ...34 comments 34 Recs
- No current results.
- No current results.