Below you'll find recent contributions related to RanDomino's followed authors, tags, and groups.
|Photo Diary: Sittin' on the Dock of the Bay
Just some photos from an afternoon sitting on the Tampa Bay seawall in St Petersburg, FL.
|May Day History: The Haymarket Riot
Reprinting this diary from last year's May Day: In the US, May Day used to be the internationally-recognized day of recognition and celebration for Labor and its struggles--at least until the ...
|Crackpot Conspiracy Theorists Pee Their Pants, Again....
Hold on to your tinfoil hats, folks----Obama's military is about to invade Texas and impose martial law. Or something.
|Ferdinandea: The Island that Everyone Wanted and Nobody Got
In 1831, four naval countries of Europe--Britain, France, Spain, and the then-independent kingdom of Sicily--argued over ownership of an island in the Mediterranean Sea. An island which lasted less ...
|The Daily Bucket: Wild Florida--The Southern Black Racer
Florida's tropical habitat makes it well-suited for reptiles and a population center for turtles and snakes. Most of our snakes are secretive and nocturnal, and despite their numbers are not often ...
|The Voyage of the "Trieste"
In January 1960, two ocean explorers named Don Walsh and Jacques Piccard took the manned submersible Trieste to the bottom of the Challenger Deep in the Marianas Trench, the deepest spot in the ocean.
|Valentina Tereshkova: The First Woman in Space
Most Americans assume that Sally Ride, who flew on the Space Shuttle in 1983, was the first woman in space. But in reality, the first women had flown in orbit almost 20 years before--and she was a ...
|The Daily Bucket: It's A Small World After All
During a recent walk, I decided to focus my attention on all the little things around me--the life that mostly goes unnoticed by everyone as they walk by... The Daily Bucket is a regular series ...
|America's First Roswell: The Aurora UFO Crash
Everyone is familiar with the story of Roswell, New Mexico, where an extraterrestrial spaceship supposedly crashed and alien bodies were recovered and hidden by the US Government. But if the ...
|"On Its Stomach": The History of Military Rations
Napoleon once famously said that an Army travels on its stomach. And it is thanks to Napoleon that the modern world has canned food. Troops, of course, grumbled about the quality of their rations ...
|Science Denier Bingo: A Board Game for Science Fans
Science Deniers come in all stripes. Some are right-wing, some are left-wing. Some are anti-government, some are anti-corporate. But if you look closely at all of the anti-science fringe, everyone ...
|Pi-Ramesse: Egypt's Oddest Mystery
During his reign, the Egyptian Pharaoh Ramses II built an extraordinary number of monuments in his capitol city, Pi-Ramesse. In later centuries, Pi-Ramesse was abandoned and forgotten, lost in the ...
|The Daily Bucket: Wild Florida--The Mangrove
The mangrove trees are an important part of Florida's ecosystem--they provide habitat for many fish and other marine life, they form natural breakwaters which protect inland areas from winds and ...
Recommended by RanDomino
- Two weeks ago dozens were killed and wounded in Aurora, Colorado. Sunday, a gunman shot and killed six people at a Sikh temple in suburban Wisconsin. The "Gunfighter Nation" is apparently eating ...34 comments 40 Recs
- Alienation can be considered part of the process of capitalist exploitation, but it can also mean feeling cut off and isolated from the surrounding world. Alienation in the Marxist sense means that ...30 comments 16 Recs
- Nat Geo Highlights Lakota Resilience in South Dakota--but We Are Struggling to get our Children BackThis week National Geographic published an article called “ In the Shadow of Wounded Knee .” It's a good article that shows many of the problems the Lakota people face on the reservations in ...57 comments 138 Recs
- People may be thinking that London under Occupation may be a little over the top to describe the situation for Londoners living under Olympic rule for the next 18 days, but that is in many way an ...48 comments 23 Recs
- It was Christmas in June when this arrived in my mail box: The Big Red Songbook 250-plus IWW Songs! Editors: Archie Green, David Roediger, Franklin Rosemont, & Salvatore Salerno Charles H Kerr ...29 comments 13 Recs
- The situation gets more bizare by the day and I have to wonder. about what is really going on. Do the plutocrats who run this country believe they can repeat what they pulled off with the shrub? ...20 comments 11 Recs
- Afterword: This diary is meant to be provocative. I am so pleased by all the excellent comments and interactions between commenters. If America were a family friendly society, I doubt so many ...157 comments 89 Recs
- As I entered the reception for the opening evening of the 5th National Worker Cooperative Conference (as compared to consumer cooperatives which most of us are more familiar with) I experienced a ...67 comments 47 Recs
- ...136 comments 374 Recs
- [I apologize. This is going to be long. In fact, when I finally worked the thing out, it was far, far too long, and I realized that I had a compound thesis, so this will be part one, which will be ...87 comments 51 Recs
- No current results.
- No current results.