Posting History for RobertNiles
|Sunday Sermon: The Work That Even God Cannot Do
The senior minister my church, the Rev. Jim Nelson at Neighborhood Unitarian Universalist Church in Pasadena, holds a "Preacher in You" class each year to teach church members how to write a sermon ...
|Three things we need, and three we don't, to improve public education
If we're going to improve public schools in America, we need three things: 1) The abolition of charter schools and voucher programs -- all public funds should be spent on schools under voter control.
|Here's the real problem with America's education system (and it ain't teachers)
Want to know the real problem with America's education system? Here it is: Millions of American graduates are discovering that their education isn't paying off with the middle-class (or, for top ...
|The many problems with Common Core
My son's eighth-grade math class has begun implementing the new national "Common Core" math standards, and the new education curriculum already has taught me something. As my college roommate wrote ...
|Public schools aren't broken. So why are we trying so hard to break them?
If a group of wealthy children of college-education parents — kids who get homework help at home and tutoring on the weekends — score better on a test than a group of poor children of non-...
|We Can't Go on Arguing Like This
My post last week on the 'myth of the excellent teacher' elicited an intriguing comment from a reader that it should be easier to get rid of the worst of the worst teachers in a school system. ...
|The myth of the 'excellent teacher'
Sure, I've had several teachers over my life whom I considered excellent. But just because a specific teacher was excellent for me doesn't guarantee that same teacher was excellent for every other ...
|Let's not honor violence by allowing it to drive us apart
So my son's school is getting locked down for an hour tomorrow morning. The school announced the drill in response to last week's shooting in Connecticut. One of my former Disney co-workers posted ...
|Can we fight Hollywood's right-wing narrative on public education?
Republicans like to stereotype Hollywood as the Land of Liberals. But when it comes to portraying public education, Hollywood is anything but progressive. The (staged) documentary "Waiting for ...
|Let's Celebrate Labor Day with a 'Right to Bargain' Amendment
Here's my wish for this Labor Day - that someone Democrat in Congress would introduce a proposed 28th Amendment to the Constitution of the United States, to protect the rights of working class ...
|No, sorry, you really didn't build that
So who really builds America's businesses? Is it entrepreneurs? Or is it the government? The real answer is neither , and I'll get to that in a moment. The whole issue of "who built that" blew up ...
|Krugman's wrong on poverty and education
I don't usually disagree with Paul Krugman, the Nobel laureate in economics who writes for the New York Times. But this week, he blew it in his column about ...
|Why I send my children to public schools
My two children, ages 14 and 11, attend their local public schools, and have since kindergarten. Why do I send my children to public schools? 1. Public schools work. Every year, millions of ...
|Message for 2012: Tax cuts for the rich vs. jobs
Here's the 60-second TV/radio commercial I would love to hear some Democratic candidate the grow the backbone to deliver: "Our government is drowning in debt. So we're laying off teachers and now ...
|GOTV for 2012 starts TODAY
Like many of you, I've spent time during past campaigns trying to get out the vote. But every morning after an election, I find myself asking: "Did it matter?" For every would-be voter I have a ...
|Hello, cruel world!
Richard Sherman, the man who brought the world the "It's a Small World" song, recently told a story about Walt Disney . Walt was ...
|Schwarzenegger asks for CA budget ideas, via Twitter
California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger today asked for his Twitter followers to suggest ideas to address California's multi-billion-dollar budget ...
|The Geithner get-rich-quick scheme for house flippers
I live in Pasadena, California. For the past six years, my wife and I have been wanting to buy a house (we'd be first-time home buyers), but since we did not want to take out an option ARM or some ...
|It's up to you to spread the news now. Will you?
This morning, I appeared as a guest on WHYY's Radio Times with Marty Moss-Coane , talking about the future on newspapers. Tom Rosenstiel of the ...
|Ugh, the wingnuts are taking over our site
Help us, Kossacks. (Violin-playing Kossacks, especially. You'll see why later in the post.) We need some help handling the wingnuts who are out in force on our own site. My wife posted a blog entry ...
|Why do Americans hate the bailout? It's the gambling, stupid.
I think many journalists and analysts are missing the core story underlying the populist revolt over the Bush administration's proposed Wall Street bailout. People aren't merely upset with the idea ...
|My dream Obama ad, 9/24/08
Here's the ad I would love to see on my TV * today: NARRATOR: John McCain says he's suspending his presidential campaign because of trouble in the U.S. economy. Funny, last week McCain ...
|My 'No on the Bailout' Letter
Here is the message that I just sent to my representative and two Senators in the U.S. Congress about the Bush administration's $700 billion-plus bailout plan for its Wall Street cronies:
|The Great Whiner
The Great Communicator Whiner: Next Tuesday all of you will go to the polls, will stand there in the polling place and make a decision. I think when you make that ...
|Say it ain't so, Hillary
Mrs. Clinton, I read on the Associated Press wire today that you have proposed a moratorium ...
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from this blog?
Set the sticky flag for this diary in the slide rotation:
Set the maximum number of slides to display in the feature:
Recommended by RobertNiles
- I once worked at a charter school. Before I accepted the job, I did my research and I had found my charter was considered one of the best in the Bronx. It was founded by a non-profit with over 20 ...46 comments 87 Recs
- Reposted on the anniversary of the assassination of Rev. King. MB This will be a very short diary. It will not contain any links or any scholarly references. It is about a very ...1030 comments 1686 Recs
- The American people must make a fundamental decision. Do we continue the 40-year decline of our middle class and the growing gap between the very rich and everyone else, or do we fight for a ...179 comments 407 Recs
- It is time to shine a light on the strategies used by Democrats, and on the Democratic infrastructure that uses those strategies.402 comments 555 Recs
- White rage recurs in American history. It exploded after the Civil War, erupted again to undermine the Supreme Court’s Brown v. Board of Education decision and took on its latest incarnation with ...80 comments 209 Recs
- Why on earth would we want to lower the quality of school lunches just when we are starting to see progress in reducing childhood obesity? What's really behind efforts to roll back the nutrition ...42 comments 54 Recs
- How about you take a look at ten minutes of video. David Coleman lead the language arts team for Common Core, even though he has never been a teacher. Due warning - Coleman is now head of the ...274 comments 189 Recs
- Let's see what happens when a place that is generally agreed to be one of the most conservative states in the nation, does what we expect for conservative states to do: Cut taxes (in theory) and cut ...19 comments 26 Recs
- http://quietmike.org/2014/03/20/citizens-guide-false-super-pac-ads/ A Citizens Guide to Fighting False Super PAC Ads Posted by Wendy Cooper on Thursday, March 20, 2014 · 2 Comments If you want ...24 comments 137 Recs
- Found at Raw Story First the Cadillac ad. It is per Raw Story's assessment, obnoxious through and through; a smug capitalist pep talk on American exceptionalism delivered with an annoying swagger.367 comments 614 Recs
- No current results.