Posting History for cityvitalsigns
|What's Wrong with Nate Silver's Rankings
Nate Silver and New York Magazine have posted a neighborhood ranking article and interactive widget that make some misguided assumptions and miss a huge opportunity. Kos referred us to it in his ...
|Action: Wingnuts "Cripple the Census"
Senators David Vitter (R-LA) and Senator Bob Bennett (R-UT) have proposed an amendment (S.AMDT 2644) to the FY10 Commerce-Justice-Science appropriations bill (H.R. 2847), which includes funds for ...
|BREAKING: Safire dead at 79
More as details unfold. Safire, known for the "On Language" and for his editorial post at the New York Times, has died at age 79.
|I (we) took on the School system and won!
We did it! In Shorewood, WI, with the mighty help from some like-minded parents and the inter-tubes and social media and ideas from DKos, we were able to get the Presidental Address broadcast on a ...
|My position on the Presidential Address
I live in Shorewood, Wisconsin, a city that voted 74% for Obama. It seems one email from one right-winger got the superintendent in a snit, and we won't be airing the presidential address. I found ...
|How Economies Grow and Why Health Care Doesn't Help
I'm an economic development professional. And I'd like to tell you how and why the health care industry contributes mightily to the economic crisis. To understand will take a little background on ...
|My friend, on Badger Care, is against Reform
I am so upset right now I can't even see straight. I hate this. The mother of a friend of my kids who just dropped him off is One of Them. The wing-nuts. The it's Socialism. The Government-is-...
|A Portrait of Eunice
As we all have heard, Eunice Kennedy Shriver died this morning, August 11, at the age of 88. What you might not know is that Kennedy Shriver is the first portrait commissioned by the gallery that ...
|See, Insurance Company wanted its money back: COB and a rallying cry for single-payer.
I know that we are supposedly giving up on a single-payer system. The "compromise" seems to be that at least we'll get a public option. But IMHO, one of the largest money-sucks in the current ...
|How to get a job: what's missing from resumes I'm reviewing Update X2
I'm in the really weird position of having job openings at my non-profit for which we are recruiting and hiring. We are deluged with resumes and I thought it might be helpful to share a few ...
|Enzi is blocking Solis' nomination for Labor Secretary (Update X2)
I've discovered that the hold for Solis' has been placed by Mike Enzi, WY. Thereisnospoon diaried about this yesterday. After I found ...
|B of A, Republic Windows Sit-In, W/pics
I believe most everyone knows the issue -- the collapse of housing construction severely cut into the company's business. Bank of America refused to grant credit and the plant closed. This is a ...
|Wisdom of Crowds and solution for short diaries predicting EVs
No short diaries trying to predict EVs - join the FaceBook group called "Call the Race". Now, I'm an old fart but one of my nephews got me to join this group. It asks you to upload a picture of ...
|Registering Inmates, WI. Voter Suppression?
A real ground game, this is. Every vote. Every voter. A swing state. Hence I spent the afternoon registering voters and applying for absentee ballots on the part of inmates at a correctional ...
|Pssst ... yes, you, there buddy ... tell me: how can I lose this thing?
Look, I just can't do this thing. I mean, I really didn't think I would actually WIN in the primary. And I thought for sure that if I did, I'd be facing Hillary, not this guy. I'm even thinking ...
|Action: WI canvassing tips (w/gender differences)
Hi. I canvassed for Obama today in Wisconsin. The first time I've ever canvassed for anything. A few things surprised me, and made me realize how DailyKos colors my world. Even in my liberal town ...
|Understatement found on Another Web Site
I've been reading Another Web Site to see what the right-wingers have to say about the economic crisis. First, they are trying to find any evidence they can to point the finger at Obama. (Obama?) ...
|ACTION: How I am winning Republican voters--Health Care
As we all set out to our various phonebanking activities, I wanted to share a theme that has been surprisingly successful in winning over Republican and Independent Voters I've come into contact with.
|ACTION: How I am winning Republican voters--Health Care
As we all set out to canvass this weekend I wanted to share a theme that has been surprisingly successful in winning over Republican and Independent Voters I've come into contact with. It's ...
|Positive message not "Change" but "Hope" (and shamelessly pimping Jeffrey Feldman)
You ever have that "ah ha" moment? When someone says something and it just hits you like hot nails through cold steel, and you just can't get it out of your head? That happened to me today. I read ...
|I know you, Sarah Palin
I know you, Sarah Palin. I don't have to know you personally, but your speech last night told me who you are. You see, Sarah, I also am the mother of a special-needs kid. That doesn't qualify me ...
|Report from the field: Breast Cancer 3-day walk
This is from my sister - our mother had breast cancer before age 50 (she's still alive and kicking), and this sister herself suffers from Primary Biliary Cirrhosis (caught early). She trained for ...
|Obama fundraising outpaces McCain in conservative Milwaukee counties
This article appeared in the Sunday edition of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel. Haven't gotten around to diarying it til today (I've been recovering from post-Romania jet lag):
|Thanks dKos, Obama, the Democratic groundswell, Bill Moyers, and more, for making me a better mother
I think I might be writing this diary more for myself than for anyone else, but it might also be the case that my musings take you somewhere. Some of you may have noticed I have kids. I have two,
|Obama is a shill for Oprah: senior vote
"Oprah put him up to it." No kidding. That's what my white, 76-year-old mother told me today. I am so depressed. And I don't know how to answer her. It started when she called to thank me for a ...
|Need Reco for Big Summer Book - Romania
Ok, this diary probably breaks several Dkos diary rules, but I really need a good read for the summer. See, I'm off to Romania ...
|Obama: he understood the math
From Stephen Ohlemacher at the AP, via Yahoo, the truth about Obama's campaign. He's a charasmatic leader but also a ruthless rule-player, and that combo is what's getting him his win. His ...
|How dare the leadership of the Democratic Party turn on Hillary Clinton!
I'm sure many of you have already read this piece by Jill Iscol , via Huffington Post. It tries to lay ...
|I've made peace with HRC
No matter how's it's asked: "is she taking this to the convention?" "what does Hillary WANT?" "why won't she drop out?" "does she really think she can win?" it's all the same question, really.
|Paul Ryan and the new Republican road map (w/poll)
Paul Ryan, the ranking member on the House Budget Comittee, introduced a budget bill yesterday that has conservative circles acting like he's the cat with the catnip. Given the beating Republicans ...
|The Thirty-day Look Back
I've been keeping random screen shots of RCP delegate counts since, oh, mid-March, right after the VT/RI/OH/TX/WY/MI week. After Pennsylvania Tuesday, I'd thought I'd take a look at how far Obama ...
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from this blog?
Set the sticky flag for this diary in the slide rotation:
Set the maximum number of slides to display in the feature:
Recommended by cityvitalsigns
- Pamela Constable, of The Washington Post , writes Protesters rally outside Nigerian Embassy to demand action over schoolgirls’ abduction, which describes 20 U.S. women Senators sending a letter ...17 comments 12 Recs
- We already knew that school vouchers weren't delivering better educational outcomes in Milwaukee, despite being in effect for more than 20 years. But a report released this month by the Public ...10 comments 35 Recs
- By Karen Davenport , Director of Health Policy, National Women's Law Center Cross-Posted from NWLC's blog Yesterday's surprise announcement that the Obama Administration is postponing implementation ...10 comments 9 Recs
- My first, broad reaction to how this place has been responding to coverage of the fabricated GOP scandals floating around was just an irritated comment, now on the Rec List: Why are you all just ...341 comments 459 Recs
- I just needed to say that outloud. I understand that there is justifiable concern about the surveillance tactics used by the NSA and other government intelligence agencies. I understand that ...1496 comments 454 Recs
- I've lurked around this site for years. I read everything but never comment, never write because, frankly, you people are kind of intimidating. But there's an issue that's personal to me, and ...84 comments 212 Recs
- My mother emigrated from India, along with my father, my sister, who was 10 years old, and me; I was 7. When we landed on these shores, we couldn't afford a home, so we lived with my aunt. All four ...132 comments 142 Recs
- As I write this there are a total of 2,197 comments and 1,933 recs on Recommended diaries about President Obama, and a total of zero comments and zero recs on Recommended diaries about the Wisconsin ...35 comments 218 Recs
- Q: What did the pig say at the beach on a hot summer's day? A: I'm bacon! How Hot Is It? It was so hot... All the corn on the stalks started ...1163 comments 64 Recs
- I've been reading through the executive summary of the "balanced" plan. This plan is ...895 comments 603 Recs
- No current results.