Below you'll find recent contributions related to cocinero's followed authors, tags, and groups.
|It’s time to seriously rethink ‘zero tolerance’ policing
The first two steps toward uplifting young black men are simple: Stop killing them and stop locking them in prison for nonviolent offenses. That is the first sentence of this powerful Washington ...
|Race, Class and Neglect
is the title of this column by Paul Krugman in today's New York Times . It starts with the notion that we still have a problem with race, as exemplified by what happened with Freddie Gray and the ...
|A brief but powerful video from Jeremy Scahill
I thank MsSpentyouth for the Facebook post that made me aware of it. As far as i could tell it had not yet been shared here. Watch and then respond in the comments. Follow this link to the ...
|Another update on Felicity
Our now three-legged cat came home just before Noon yesterday. We have her in a downstairs room. After several times when she hid behind bookcases where we could not reach her, I emptied the ...
|"Freddie Gray Never Had a Chance"
is the title of this short piece by Eugene Robinson in the Post Partisan section of the Washington Post . Robinson reminds us that the entire incident reeks of racial bias. Gray was on a street ...
| Must-read from Ta-Nehisi Coates on Baltimore
When nonviolence is preached as an attempt to evade the repercussions of political brutality, it betrays itself. When nonviolence begins halfway through the war with the aggressor calling time out, ...
|Some context to recent events in Baltimore
If you want some context to the recent events in Baltimore, read the piece linked below. Let me note as one who has taught just outside Baltimore for the past two years (first in Glen Burnie and ...
|an update on Felicity
Yesterday, in this posting , I explained about our youngest (at 12 years 7 months) rescued cat, her cancer, and her forthcoming leg amputation because of a tumor that encircled the leg. She had to ...
|Sometimes what matters can change in an instant
and all your previously decided priorities get tossed out. Earlier this month my wife discovered a growth on the right rear leg of one of our three remaining rescued cats, Felicity, the shyest. She ...
|Creationism in a NE Classroom
28 March 2007 I posted a letter to the McCook Gazette and the editor printed it: Original Online Saturday, April 7, 2007 Dear Editor, The following was sent to McCook Community College: I am ...
|A sports-team executive who gets it right
is John Angelos, COO of the Baltimore Orioles, outside whose stadium a protest about the killing of Freddie Gray got out of hand. The words came about as part of a twitter exchange after a comment ...
|‘Lynch Mob’: Misuse of Language
is the title of this powerful New York Times column by Charles M. Blow . He is reacting in particular to the inflammatory statement by the head of the Baltimore Police Union to the demonstrations ...
Recommended by cocinero
- The healthcare wonks putting the Affordable Care Act together back in 2009-10 had a lot of ideas about a lot of small, varied projects that could reduce healthcare spending. They tried one of them�10 comments 37 Recs
- Florida Democratic Senate candidate Patrick Murphy Leading Off : • FL-Sen : On Monday, the Democratic Senatorial Campaign ...62 comments 11 Recs
- Salon's Bill Curry says it very well here: Bernie Sanders really matters: He doesn’t have to win to build a progressive movement Stop thinking about winners, losers and the dumb horse race. Let's ...384 comments 236 Recs
- is the title of this short piece by Eugene Robinson in the Post Partisan section of the Washington Post . Robinson reminds us that the entire incident reeks of racial bias. Gray was on a street ...83 comments 219 Recs
- Does ‘we the people’ matter anymore? Will it always be pay to play for the foreseeable future? Will we ever get our country back? Not the tea party type ‘get our country back’ but actually ...147 comments 76 Recs
- Over the past few years, two topics have come to dominate the discourse about religion in America. The implementation of the Affordable Care Act and especially the rapid acceptance of marriage ...120 comments 87 Recs
- 364 comments 398 Recs
- Three tropical cyclones churned the waters around Australia on March 11, 2015, including Pam, which reached ...277 comments 428 Recs
- American Taliban It's the ...188 comments 136 Recs
- Gov. Rick Scott (R-FL) ...21 comments 37 Recs
- No current results.
- No current results.