Posting History for codeman38
|I'd Love To Volunteer, But...
I've just received the n th message in several days from the Organizing For America mailing list, urging me to call prospective voters using the DNC's virtual phone-bank tool. I'd totally ...
|Action Alert: Research on Healthcare and Disabilities
If you're at all familiar with my previous entries, you'd know that I tend to focus on disability rights, and particularly the rights of individuals on the autistic spectrum. It's only natural; I'm ...
|Captioning is not a bonus feature: or, 'Up' to no good
(This is adapted from a LiveJournal post which was featured by Consumerist . I figured this ...
|Macon, GA's ABC Affiliate Wipes Out
I'm originally from the Macon, Georgia area; it's also where I attended college. So I tend to keep up on occasion with what's going on back in my hometown. As I was browsing the news today,
|Autism Speaks Hits A New Low
(cross-posted, with slight modifications, from my personal blog ) If you've been reading my blog or my diaries here, you ...
|Obama's education speech and accessibility
So we've all heard about it by now: President Obama is going to be giving a speech to schools across the nation (well, some schools, anyway) that will be simulcast via cable, satellite and ...
|More English-Only Absurdity
OK, so I'm a week late with this, but it still deserves to have a diary about it even this late after the fact. Here in Georgia, there was a bill recently passed by the state Senate which would ...
|When Transit Systems Don't Consider Their Users
Well, it's going to be yet another boring weekend. At least I've got a good bit of entertainment available to me here in the apartment— which is a good thing, since I won't be venturing all ...
|Giving Thanks for Accessibility
I'm surprised, to be honest, that nobody has commented on this as far as I can see on DailyKos. Did anyone notice anything particularly interesting about the video of Obama's Thanksgiving address ...
|Slackers Deserve Subtitles, Too
Dear Michael Moore, I appreciate the fact that you decided to release your latest documentary onto the Internet for free, in an open, un-DRM-encumbered format for anyone to download. However, I'm ...
|An autistic says 'mea culpa'
As it turns out, those skeptical of the latest Autism Speaks controversy may have actually been right. First, some background: Recently a blogger designed a shirt with the slogan "Autism Speaks ...
|Autism Speaks Against Autistic Free Speech and Fair-Use Parody
NOTE: See correction under the fold; turns out Autism Speaks was not responsible for the most recent takedown. You might recall that a while back, I ...
|An Autistic Speaks About Autism Speaks
Imagine, if you will, that an organization existed by the name of "Womanhood Speaks," which, on the surface, appeared to be in support of women's rights. Now imagine that the governing body of this ...
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from this blog?
Set the sticky flag for this diary in the slide rotation:
Set the maximum number of slides to display in the feature:
Recommended by codeman38
- I’ve hesitated to write about this. It’s such a foolish thing — so silly, surely so easy to overcome. A recent unpleasantness connected with this phobia changed my mind. I know I’m not alone ...65 comments 34 Recs
- OllieGarkey has a disturbing diary up ( here ) about a very recent shooting in California, perpetrated by an MRA (or "Mens Rights Activist"). In the diary, OG describes the shooter's (I refuse to ...325 comments 231 Recs
- Nearly all of my diaries are about the Great Outdoors. Seldom do I write about politics, because political writing does not come to me very easily. However, my recent experience is too important to ...179 comments 1043 Recs
- I'll come out of my closet and state up front that this is a topic close to my heart, because I am asexual. No, I don't reproduce through mitosis. I simply don't experience sexual attraction to the ...177 comments 173 Recs
- There is no way that Jim Nabors could have done this in his home state of Alabama. The man beloved by millions for his portrayal of Gomer Pyle comes from Sylacauga, Alabama, a state which has ...136 comments 444 Recs
- Here is my rant on Microsoft Windows 8. It may be not as detailed as possible since I no longer have a working example in front of me as I write this – of course, I would be writing it in any case ...734 comments 350 Recs
- I took my two young girls to watch an early, child-friendly fireworks show in downtown Pittsburgh this evening – a lovely affair that was punctuated by a question from my six-year-old daughter: "...94 comments 38 Recs
- The shooter at Sandy Hook is being reported as having had Asperger's Syndrome - an autistic spectrum disorder that has only had a relatively small amount of cultural exposure, so if it turns out to ...370 comments 411 Recs
- Oh, my.179 comments 90 Recs
- YouTube is attempting to provide a great service for the hearing impaired community. They are using speech recognition software to make transcribed captions available on most of their videos. There'...7 comments 6 Recs
- No current results.
- No current results.