Below you'll find recent contributions related to gmoke's followed authors, tags, and groups.
|Spotlight on green news & views: Allegheny wind turbines collide with NIMBY, GOP attacks science
See Gwennedd's post Many environmentally related posts appearing at Daily Kos each week don't attract the attention they deserve. To help get more ...
|Midday open thread: 'festival' of corruption in NY, ADP report hints again at hiring slowdown
Today's comic by Matt Bors is X-Race Specs :
|Harry Reid joins senators promoting a petition that calls for opposition to 'fast-tracking' TPP
Still not onboard with fast-tracking the Trans-Pacific Partnership Under the rubric of "prioritize jobs" Democratic Sens. Tammy Baldwin (WI), Sherrod Brown (OH), Al Franken (MN), ...
| Republicans who cut science budgets are not stupid. They're malicious. Goal: official ignorance
|Yet another oil train goes off the rails and burns. No injuries reported, but 35 people evacuated
Off the rails in North Dakota. The Department of Transportation predicted last July that there ...
|Open thread for night owls: Now comes Trans-Pacific trickle-down
Former Labor Secretary Robert Reich writes Trans-Pacific Trickle-Down Economics : Now comes the Trans-Pacific Partnership. It’s being sold as a way to boost the U.S. economy, expand exports, ...
|Battle over Iran nuclear review bill by right and ultra right seems ended. Vote expected Thursday
These two guys are moving toward a vote ...
|Midday open thread: Top hedge fund managers earn paltry $11bn, Edison's talking dolls still creepy
Today's comic by Jen Sorensen is Texas takeover :
|Klobuchar, Tester reintroduce bill to require states to allow voter registration on Election Day
Allowing citizens to register to vote on Election Day is a smart idea that boosts turnout and makes things easier for the most mobile Americans. It has been tested for problems for decades in the ...
|Open thread for night owls: Ask your doc if this birth control is right for you. Now ask your boss
In case you can't see the video here, try ...
|Study saying EPA rules will save 3,500 lives should be nailed to door of every naysayer in Congress
Curbing coal plant emissions would save lots of lives. Not that this matters to EPA haters. A new study published in the ...
|Midday open thread: Minimum wage boost hits bullseye, executions don't hit worst of the worst
Today's comic by Tom Tomorrow is Responses to Baltimore :
|Iran nuclear review act: Is it lose-lose for Republicans?
Whoops. Even though the Iran Nuclear Agreement Review Act most likely will pass the Senate by a large majority, the superhawks, pushed by Sens. Tom Cotton (R-AR) and president-wannabe Marco Rubio (R-
|Abbreviated pundit round-up: Why Baltimore's past matters; Is ISIS really on the run?
Molly Redden at Mother Jones writes Want an Abortion This Year? Get Ready to Wait : For women seeking an abortion, 2015 is shaping up to be the year of the long wait. Since the beginning of the year,
|Open thread for night owls. Do progressives need to make better emotional ties when organizing?
Excerpted by Alternet from Michael Bader'...
|This week at progressive state blogs: Lynch and the power of black women, SD polygamists seek water
This week in progressive state blogs is designed specifically to focus attention on the writing and analysis of people focused on their home turf. Let me know via comments or Kosmail if you have a ...
|Spotlight on green news & views: Super El Niño forms, oil & gas drilling damage, wind power soars
Three tropical cyclones churned the waters around Australia on March 11, 2015, including Pam, one of the strongest storms ever in the region.
|Open thread for night owls: FAIR takes on economist pundit who disappeared economist critics of TPP
At Fairness and Accuracy in Reporting, Jim Naureckaswrites NYT Lets Economic Pundit Disappear TPP’s Economist Critics : The New York Times (4/24/15) handed its readers an exploding cigar this ...
|DOT issues oil-train rules. Industry objects. Other critics say rules too weak and deadline too slow
Oil train derailment Feb. 15 near Mount Carbon, West Virginia. The Obama ...
|Midday open thread: Tesla home battery unveiled, 1 in 6 species at risk, where's Aaron Schock?
On Saturday at 8 AM PT, the tech team will be moving Daily Kos from its current web host to Amazon's Web Services. We'll be taking the site down for an estimated one to three hours while we move our ...
|Fire in Chernobyl Contaminated Zone
RT RT and The Ecologist report that a huge forest fire near the abandoned contaminated zone around the Chernobyl disaster site in northern Ukraine is releasing plutonium as well as cesium and ...
|Open thread for night owls: A condensed look at what Bernie Sanders thinks on some issues
What Bernie Sanders thinks , as compiled by Andrew Prokip at Vox. I've included paragraphs on five subjects, with only subheads for the rest: Move to a single-payer health care system The ...
|Wind energy association's first-quarter report offers reasons for optimism
The American Wind Energy Association has released its report for the first quarter of 2015, and it's quite encouraging. Indeed, for those of ...
|Midday open thread: Who asked leniency for Petraeus? Initial claims for jobless comp at 15-year low
Today's comic by Ruben Bolling is Doonesbury's Charlie Hebdo problem :
|Chances of ending federal executions diminished with Eric Holder's departure
Eric Holder was conducting a review of the death penalty, but it ...
|Marco Rubio sought 'leniency' for Corinthian Colleges last year
For more than a decade, Corinthian Colleges, Inc. has been the target of lawsuits and state and federal investigations for its deceptive marketing, falsification of employment placement rates and ...
|Open thread for night owls: Martin Luther King Jr. quotes the traditional media won't cite
M.L. King arrested in 1958 in Montgomery, Alabama, for "loitering" outside a courtroom where there was a hearing for his friend Ralph Abernathy, founder of the Southern Christian Leadership ...
|Spotlight on green news & views: Cities engage on climate change, anger translator, extreme weather
Many environmentally related posts appearing at Daily Kos each week don't attract the attention they deserve. To help get more eyeballs, Spotlight on Green News & Views (previously known as the ...
|Midday open thread: GDP growth 0.2%, Nevadans back 'net metering' that boosts rooftop solar
Today's comic by Matt Bors is Satire to die for :
|Senate kills amendment that would have made Iran agreement a treaty. Condoleezza Rice helps
Condoleeza Rice says the Iran deal is "classically an executive agreement and doesn't need to be a treaty... " The Senate voted 39-57 Tuesday night for an amendment that would have required the ...
|Open thread for night owls. Reich: Why so many Americans feel powerless
Robert Reich writes Why So Many Americans Feel So Powerless : As I travel around America, I’m struck by how utterly powerless most people feel. The companies we work for, the businesses we buy ...
Recommended by gmoke
- Cross-posted from Real Economics . The TPP has brought the issue of "free trade agreements" to the fore again, so I think it is time we looked honestly at what has happened to the three North ...46 comments 58 Recs
- RT RT and The Ecologist report that a huge forest fire near the abandoned contaminated zone around the Chernobyl disaster site in northern Ukraine is releasing plutonium as well as cesium and ...14 comments 13 Recs
- A column in last week's edition of America magazine reported that Dom Hélder Câmara , a Brazilian archbishop who was known for his championing of the poor, will be considered for sainthood ...36 comments 5 Recs
- Who knew? In 2012 around the globe, 4.3 million people, mainly women and children, die from household air pollution from cooking with solid fuels - these deaths are linked to inhaling carbon ...3 comments 20 Recs
- Welcome to bookchat where you can talk about anything...books, plays, essays, and books on tape. You don’t have to be reading a book to come in, sit down, and chat with us. My readers are ...81 comments 35 Recs
- Alice Barker enjoying the rare footage her friends were able to find. The most delightful video of the day. Alice Barker is 102 years old and thanks friends and volunteers at her nursing home in ...94 comments 331 Recs
- Climate news gets worse every day. The eye slides away; the heart falters. There seems little hope when we consider that if the world could, by some political miracle, reduce carbon emissions to zero,12 comments 16 Recs
- You might be surprised how many adults there are across the Nation "who think global warming is happening?" (63%) Even the State with the lowest score to that Question (WV), had a Majority of 54% --23 comments 40 Recs
- For some time, TV meteorologists seemed to be the last bastion of climate "skeptics." This was a major problem, because watching TV weather personalities is about as close as most regular Americans ...15 comments 14 Recs
- Recent articles about the climate have been disturbing not only for their predictions but because they demonstrate the problem that dealing with pieces of the system can create. For example: West ...2 comments 5 Recs
- No current results.