Below you'll find recent contributions related to mkfarkus's followed authors, tags, and groups.
|Sports and Risk-Taking Abilities
The 1953 film From Here to Eternity tells the story of Private Robert E. Lee Prewitt. Earlier in life, before joining the army, he was a successful boxer, but he hung up his gloves due to a tragic ...
|I can find no evidence of the Baltimore Sun's "Purge" Claim from Monday
|"Freddie Gray Never Had a Chance"
| Must-read from Ta-Nehisi Coates on Baltimore
When nonviolence is preached as an attempt to evade the repercussions of political brutality, it betrays itself. When nonviolence begins halfway through the war with the aggressor calling time out, ...
|Some context to recent events in Baltimore
If you want some context to the recent events in Baltimore, read the piece linked below. Let me note as one who has taught just outside Baltimore for the past two years (first in Glen Burnie and ...
|Bernie Sanders is not running against Hillary Clinton, he's running for us...
I am 100% in for Bernie Sanders' campaign for the Democratic Party nomination, and for president. For the longest time, Bernie Sanders has represented my viewpoint on policy and my viewpoint on good ...
|an update on Felicity
Yesterday, in this posting , I explained about our youngest (at 12 years 7 months) rescued cat, her cancer, and her forthcoming leg amputation because of a tumor that encircled the leg. She had to ...
|GFHC open thread: at a certain place and time.....(photo diary)
One of the fun aspects of genealogy for me has been tracking down places my ancestors lived. On my father's side of the family, I've been to most of the places which are still extant where ancestors ...
|Sometimes what matters can change in an instant
and all your previously decided priorities get tossed out. Earlier this month my wife discovered a growth on the right rear leg of one of our three remaining rescued cats, Felicity, the shyest. She ...
|Prayers and Light for Baltimore (and Beyond)
I wrote what follows specifically to my Quaker Meeting, but also to any who would hear my message. It is a brief open letter.
|Scotland Rising: If you think the Republican wave in 2010 was big...
The polls open UK wide in one week. But the most interesting part of the election is happening in Scotland. Here's a map of Scotland in 2010 along with the most recent Polling projections for ...
|Rand Paul's advisers explain to him why joking about riots might be bad
And just think, it's only April. Of 2015.
|Mike Huckabee: Supreme Court 'cannot overrule God'
American Taliban It's the ...
|Ted Cruz says Barack Obama has 'inflamed racial tensions'
Makes Sarah Palin look like an intellectual.
|Indians 201: Wodziwob's Ghost Dance
During the nineteenth century there were a number of religious movements that developed among diverse Indian tribes. One of these, called the Ghost Dance by non-Indians, arose among the Paiute in ...
|The history of Riots in Baltimore
One of the things that really stuck out in Monday's reporting on the unrest in Baltimore was a statement by Daryll DeSousa, the chief of patrol. He said in a press briefing that Baltimore was ...
|Texas Republican ties gay marriage to Baltimore riots
Oh no, the horror. And so on.
|Clean-up, curfew and more from Baltimore||Hunter||04/28/2015||22|
|Rand Paul passed through Baltimore: 'I'm glad the train didn't stop'
Oh, he's so funny . Presidential candidate Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY) weighed in on the turmoil in Baltimore on Tuesday,
|Sen. Ted Cruz: 'Liberal fascism' is going after American Christians
I really have nothing to say here. The ...
|Rand Paul says overthrowing Hussein was a 'mistake'
I really wonder whether the Republican base can ...
|Religious 'leaders' demand liberal justices recuse themselves from marriage equality case
No. Only Thomas and Scalia may decide gay marriage cases. Thus sayeth the empty cardboard boxes. I see that conservative activists will be satirizing themselves this week. Well, it ...
|A sports-team executive who gets it right
is John Angelos, COO of the Baltimore Orioles, outside whose stadium a protest about the killing of Freddie Gray got out of hand. The words came about as part of a twitter exchange after a comment ...
|How I ended up homeless in New York with a full time job
"Richie threatened to stab me. Should I press charges?" This was the call I got while at work over a month ago from my roommate Charlie. Richie is our other room-mate. Charlie had just moved in ...
|Republicans fretting over 'GOP demolition-derby circular firing squad' like it's a bad thing
Good luck with that. Republicans are already _extremely alarmed_ at how their presidential primaries ...
|‘Lynch Mob’: Misuse of Language
is the title of this powerful New York Times column by Charles M. Blow . He is reacting in particular to the inflammatory statement by the head of the Baltimore Police Union to the demonstrations ...
|Open thread for night owls: Militia movement finds new 'patriot' to defend
A mine owner in Oregon ...
|Allen West: Football players are getting injured because you don't pray enough
Allen West was at one point a genuine congressman from ...
|Michele Bachmann says the Rapture is coming: 'Rejoice'
Looks like the Apocalypse to me.
|Ted Cruz says Obama is an 'unmitigated socialist' who is 'profoundly dangerous,' and so forth
'Oh spirit of Reagan, I summon thee and bind thee to my will.' Ted Cruz, the ...
|Open thread for night owls: 'No evidence' climate change will be 'catastrophic', opines Charles Koch
A rising tide will lift my yacht.
|After entering relationship with lobbyist, Rep. Bill Shuster pushed for one of firm's key priorities
Suit, flag, and original thoughts paid for by Airlines For America. Please have them back by Thursday. The news that House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee chairman Rep. Bill Shuster (R-...
|GFHC open thread
We’ve been fairly quiet as a DK community lately, so I’m guessing that everyone’s pretty busy. That would explain why fewer of us have been signing up to host a Friday. No problem! This ...
|Indians 101: The Federal Government and Indian Affairs in 1965
By 1965, the administration of federal Indian relationships and Indian reservations had been firmly entrenched in the Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA), which is a part of the Department of the Interior.
Recommended by mkfarkus
- TPM has someone in the courthouse in Newark relaying the events. Link if you want the news straight from them. The headline item: David Wildstein is pleading guilty to and factual claims he is ...142 comments 288 Recs
- Rekia Boyd, shot and killed by Chicago Officer Dante Servin With 49 elementary schools closing this summer , with pensions being slashed, and with public services being cut all over Chicago, the ...53 comments 112 Recs
- Officials from the Christian Science Church in Dixon, Illinois are upset after a satellite image from Google Maps began to go viral, showing their new church had a rather unusual shape. ...112 comments 70 Recs
- In the coming months, Republican lawmakers will be fighting tooth and nail against the agenda President Obama laid out during Tuesday's inaugural address: his call to action on equality, ...137 comments 104 Recs
- This is not from me. This was eloquently written by a true expert in their field whom everyone should listen to, educator, Gerald J. Conti. I picked it up from an article in the Washington Post by ...336 comments 454 Recs
- George Lucas first purchased a large plot of land in Marin County in 1978. He built Skywalker Ranch and began movie production shortly thereafter. In 1996, Marin County executives agreed to Lucas' ...360 comments 158 Recs
- I think there are two underreported features of the fallout from Indiana that we should make sure do not get lost in the hoo ha. One is that people are getting it that religious freedom does not ...111 comments 208 Recs
- From CNN: IBM has sent a letter to the governor of Louisiana warning that a pending religious freedom bill would create a hostile environment for the tech company's employees. IBM Vice President ...53 comments 135 Recs
- I had to look up the word "idiot" while reading Wapo today in order to wade through my first, and last, bit of George Will's dross. id·i·ot ~ ˈidēət/ noun: a stupid person. a mentally ...28 comments 47 Recs
- This is a political trend I'd like to see more of: I ...112 comments 105 Recs
- No current results.
- No current results.