Posting History for necturus
|Iraq and Syria: The Case for Doing Nothing
I do not believe anything good can come of President Obama's pursuit of ISIS in Iraq or Syria. It is an ill considered course of action, hastily undertaken out of fear, to shore up crumbling states ...
|If ISIS is the new Hitler...
...would that make Bashar al-Assad the new Stalin? But, of course, both comparisons are absurd. Assad's regime is merely a modern favor of what used to be called "oriental despotism": the rule of ...
|Good God! I agree with Rand Paul!?
On my way home from work yesterday I heard Rand Paul being interviewed on NPR. His position on immigration is entirely in accord with mine: that the way to decrease the number of people entering the ...
|Agents of Chaos
Listening to President Obama's press conference today, I was struck by the President's repeated comparison of ISIS to al-Qa`ida, his insistence that ISIS "is not a state, let alone a Caliphate", and ...
|Why vote Democratic?
You don't have to tell me why the Democrats need to take back the House. I'm a leftist. I know most Democrats aren't; they are centrists. But the Republicans are, almost to a man or woman, extreme ...
|Gravediggers of democracy
Is the "tea party" movement out to destroy the American republic? It certainly looks like it from where I sit. They are actively sabotaging the federal government, making it as dysfunctional as ...
I was greeted this morning by the news that ISIS has declared itself a Caliphate and its head, Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, to be the Caliph Ibrahim (Abraham). It is a move that seems premature, seeing ...
The Supreme Judicial Court has seen fit to allow us to reconsider the state legislature's unfortunate decision to allow casino gambling in Massachusetts. This is an issue that's been bothering me ...
|Iraq is not a nation
The essential problem with Iraq and Syria is that they are not nations as we understand the term. Since their creation by the British and French after World War I -- no state called al-`Iraq or al-...
|Can we create our own Internet?
Essentially, what I have in mind is a network of free wi-fi hotspots tied together by cheap unlicensed devices like those made by Ubiquiti, with enough redundancy such that it could tolerate the ...
|My take on the crisis in Ukraine
The current protests from western governments, including the Obama administration, against Russian military moves in Ukraine surprise me. Ukraine is not Czechoslovakia or Hungary; it is a region in ...
|Rush 1, Flush 0; I Told You So
Last week it was announced that Rush Limbaugh's radio show will continue to be carried by all but one of the Cumulus stations he's on, and he will be moving to Clear Channel's recently acquired WOR ...
|The War on Terror is Bogus
For the past twelve years we've been told that we're at war. September the eleventh was this generation's Pearl Harbor, we were told, a military attack by an enemy power requiring a global military ...
|Song of the Chekists
This song was written in 1938 and dedicated to fighters in that era's war on terrorism. The music is by N. Rechmensky, the words by G. Rublev, and the translation is mine. You can find the original ...
|What Color is Your Dog?
Once upon a time, there were yellow-dog Democrats. It was said they would vote for the Democratic candidate even if he or she were a yellow dog. But this is a Southernism, and the the Democratic ...
|A Red Dog's View
I am a red dog Democrat not a blue dog Democrat. I see being played out in America today a classic Marxian struggle between the 99% of us who live by our own labor and the small but ...
|Shooting Ourselves in the Foot
Using the Newtown massacre as the pretext for a gun control crusade always struck me as unwise. Guns are one of those cultural issues that distract us from the real goal: the destruction of the ...
|Why the gun debate bothers me
Guns do kill. That's why they were invented. Their manufacture, distribution, ownership, and use clearly need to be regulated in any community that cares about the welfare of its members. Much the ...
|It's Still Broken
When you fall off a cliff, you hit the ground and you're dead, game over. But what awaits us with the coming of the new year is nothing of the sort, but merely a change in some rules: taxpayers will ...
|Republic and Empire
It occurs to me that if the two political factions struggling for power in America, the Democrats are the real conservatives; they seek to preserve the New Deal-era social contract between capital ...
|We must take the House or lose all
It won't be enough to reelect President Obama. The Republicans have taken to heart the lesson President Clinton taught them during his eight years in office: never cooperate with a Democratic ...
|Worst Case Scenario
It is August 29, 2032. It's been twenty years since Mitt Romney, with the help of more than a billion dollars in anonymous corporate cash, defeated Barack Obama in a hard fought campaign to become ...
|Socialism and Liberalism, the Short Form
What's a socialist like me doing in a liberal place like this? In my old age, I have returned to the Marxism of my youth. If Marx seemed irrelevant twenty years ago in the aftermath of the ...
|No way forward?
Am I missing something? From my vantage point on the left, it's hard to see how anything good can come of this year's elections. We have a deadlocked Congress controlled by right-wing ...
|The Myth of Bunker Hill
I live in Massachusetts. My ancestors started the whole tea party thing back in 1773. I'm convinced that they were also the founders of gun-nuttery through what I shall call the myth of Bunker Hill. ...
|Not a good day in WI
In October, 2010, I knew something was wrong as I drove up to work at the radio station that is one of my clients. The station was saturated with ads for this or that Republican candidate, all ...
|The Next Rush Limbaugh
Say you're in charge of a local radio station. Why would you pay a million dollars a year for Rush Limbaugh when you could have Mike Huckabee for free? Well, not for free, but for a couple minutes ...
I've been working professionally in radio since 1979, mostly in the Boston market. Radio is the great love of my life. It is immediate, portable, inexpensive to run, and free to the listener. It can ...
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from this blog?
Set the sticky flag for this diary in the slide rotation:
Set the maximum number of slides to display in the feature:
Recommended by necturus
- Years ago I was puzzled by the use of the words Left and Right when it came to politics. I had heard descriptions such as "liberal, left-wing radicals" and "right-wing conservative Christians", and ...61 comments 55 Recs
- Editor’s Note: Since the financial crash of 2008, there has been a revival of interest in the writings of Karl Marx, especially among disenchanted millennials faced with bleak economic prospects ...7 comments 9 Recs
- This is breaking news... As reported by the Chicago Tribune (and other news outlets), the U.S. State Department has issued a worldwide terror alert to travelers. The U.S. State Department issued a ...527 comments 106 Recs
- This is the ninth diary of a series on excuses for "why we can't have socialism." The argument that goes that socialism is impossible because capitalism will last indefinitely, and prevent any and ...88 comments 65 Recs
- Eric Stetson's interesting diary the other day about the danger of young people leaving the center-right Democratic Party and going to the more cynical libertarian ideology got me thinking.366 comments 349 Recs
- This is What Extraction Looks Like I keep seeing this term “Production” used to describe the process of extracting a natural material and sending it on its way to becoming pollution. That’s ...26 comments 49 Recs
- There isn't a single political issue that isn't deeply affected and structured by the logic of capitalism. If this is true, then it entails that capitalism is the ground of all other political ...129 comments 68 Recs
- Most right-wing fanatics don't engage in anything one could call "logic" even deceptively: They don't care enough about morality and reason to even bother corrupting them - they just do whatever ...37 comments 34 Recs
- There are people who grow up believing the world to be a fair and just place. Bad guys will eventually get what’s coming to them. Good guys win in the end. If someone is doing wrong in your ...229 comments 392 Recs
- (also at VOTS ) My socialism diary today was prompted by this otherwise laudable video , now making the rounds on Facebook: Short synopsis: most people think ...70 comments 52 Recs
- No current results.
- No current results.