Below you'll find recent contributions related to plthomasEdD's followed authors, tags, and groups.
|"Freddie Gray Never Had a Chance"
|The Inoculation Project 5/3/2015: Physics in Baltimore
Solid science education is the best inoculation against ignorance.
|March that will make MAY DAY
||The Rick Smith Show||05/03/2015||1|
|Mom Brings Gun to Daughter's Brawl With Girl over a Boy
|What's the deal with Arizona education officials and websites? Please proceed
If it weren’t for his racist and asinine blog posts, former Arizona Superintendent of Public Instruction John Huppenthal would likely be sitting in the same office today. Although the former ...
|Maryland - Truth & Reconcilliation
Baltimore - Washington - 2015 Born and raised in Maryland in the 1940s and 50s, I've spent the last half-decade settling family affairs in Prince Georges County between Baltimore and Washington DC. ...
|8-Year Old Creates Stunning Victory For Gender Equality
|Teachers' Lounge: Reading Suggestions
This past semester I have been teaching a class that introduces students to Interdisciplinary Studies in preparation for them proposing their own interdisciplinary major. There are generally two ...
|This week in the war on workers: Death on the job
This week, in honor of Workers Memorial Day, the AFL-CIO released its Death on the Job report. Some facts: In ...
|Lower the Voting Age
On March 23, 1971, the 26th Amendment was passed, lowering the national voting age from 21 to 18. It came about as a response to the fact that young people could be drafted but couldn't vote. Today, ...
|Obama touts education programs in weekly address
In a global economy, we’ve got to help ensure that everyone, of every age, in every zip code—urban and rural—has the chance to learn the skills that lead directly to a good job. President ...
|Shocking Facts for Anti-Blacks
|From the Bedroom to the Streets
On this day in Labor History the year was 1968. That was the day the administration shut down the Paris University at Naterre. Student protests at the school had begun weeks before around the ...
|The Rick Smith Show||05/02/2015||1|
| Must-read from Ta-Nehisi Coates on Baltimore
When nonviolence is preached as an attempt to evade the repercussions of political brutality, it betrays itself. When nonviolence begins halfway through the war with the aggressor calling time out, ...
|Some context to recent events in Baltimore
If you want some context to the recent events in Baltimore, read the piece linked below. Let me note as one who has taught just outside Baltimore for the past two years (first in Glen Burnie and ...
|Smoking, Science and Racy Pictures of My Grandmother
This is my grandmother in the hospital. She is smoking. She is talking to my mother, who is smoking, in the hospital. Did I mention ...
|an update on Felicity
Yesterday, in this posting , I explained about our youngest (at 12 years 7 months) rescued cat, her cancer, and her forthcoming leg amputation because of a tumor that encircled the leg. She had to ...
|Have you ever worked for a poor person?
So I get a newsletter from WA,State Representative Liz Pike 18th Legislative District. A large part of it this week was devoted to explaining why after a 130 Day session they need another 30 days to ...
|Profit Seeking Schools - What Could Go Wrong?
Unintentionally, I got into a debate this morning with someone convinced that private schools were the answer to fixing our public education system. Their reasoning was that If you have a failed ...
|Winning Rural America as a Proud Socialist
With deference and thanks to Lawrence O'Donnell, the term "liberal" has lost a considerable amount of the tarnish it has worn as a political label in recent history, in no small part because of "the ...
On this day in Labor History the year was 1886. This was the day that began events in Chicago that would make May First the most important day on the calendar for the labor movement across the ...
|The Rick Smith Show||05/01/2015||5|
|Sometimes what matters can change in an instant
and all your previously decided priorities get tossed out. Earlier this month my wife discovered a growth on the right rear leg of one of our three remaining rescued cats, Felicity, the shyest. She ...
|Dr. Phil Schools Fox Host On Racial Inequities - And Telling The Truth
Fox News recently brought in celebrated TV therapist, Dr. Phil , to educate their staff on the inequalities between black and white kids in America. Now, with riots in Baltimore spreading ...
|Daily Kos Labor digest: Port truck drivers explain why they're striking
Here's more on the strike. In other news: University of Chicago nurses narrowly avert a strike . Here are all the ...
|Her stance on TPP = none. People! She is just another Elitist!
HRC dodges the question about what her stance on TPP is. Ed Schultz Blasts Hillary Clinton's Stance On TPP by Rising ...
The three issues I want to address in this blog are: 1. Campaign finance reform 2. Taxes 3. Income inequality There is an old saying, “Money is the root of all evil.” While money may not cause ...
|Marco Rubio sought 'leniency' for Corinthian Colleges last year
For more than a decade, Corinthian Colleges, Inc. has been the target of lawsuits and state and federal investigations for its deceptive marketing, falsification of employment placement rates and ...
|e-books for low-income students
Now if they would just put down the Xbox controller... The availability of such e-books on smart phones could make a real difference if reading could only be made like ...
|On the March for Work, and Respect
On this day in Labor History the year was 1894. A group of 400-500 unemployed men marched down Pennsylvania Avenue toward the US Capitol. In a buggy at the front of the march rode Jacob Coxey. ...
|The Rick Smith Show||04/30/2015||1|
|Protests Spread from Baltimore to Union Square in NYC
Protests against the death of Freddie Gray have spread to New York City, where hundreds of people have gathered in solidarity with the Baltimore protesters. Umaara Elliott, one of the New York ...
|The Education of A White Boy
Nearly 51 years ago I graduated from Morgan State College. I was the only white boy in my graduating class, the only one in the school. My story is a long one, better read in detail in the memoir I ...
|The ALEC crazies are loose in NC again! Lawmakers may change School curriculum.
Legislators are reacting to complaints about bad grades on their first schools report card with a touch of profiling and a good dose of conservative values added to the curriculum. Among the ...
Not from teaching, but from using a pseudonym to write about teaching. I am still teaching. But I have many other things right now that require my attention, and for now, I am done writing on dKos ...
|Wisconsin Governor Walker Failures Not Evidence of a “Style” Problem
(Wisconsinites see much deeper deficits. The Press has a duty to broadcast these to the nation.) A recent puff-piece suggested Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker, the white-bread Republican ...
|An experiment in 1968 is needed now in 2015: Jane Elliot of Iowa, the class is yours.
At this time when we are dealing with a complex issue of race relations and how we can have a discussion so that we ALL can see how we are affected by this, I am reminded of a simple experiment ...
|A sports-team executive who gets it right
is John Angelos, COO of the Baltimore Orioles, outside whose stadium a protest about the killing of Freddie Gray got out of hand. The words came about as part of a twitter exchange after a comment ...
|Cartoon: Droney weighs in
Support independent cartooning: join Sparky's List —and be sure to visit TT'...
|‘Lynch Mob’: Misuse of Language
is the title of this powerful New York Times column by Charles M. Blow . He is reacting in particular to the inflammatory statement by the head of the Baltimore Police Union to the demonstrations ...
|Cartoon: It ate our brains
Support independent cartooning: join Sparky's List —and be sure to visit TT'...
Recommended by plthomasEdD
- The testing, accountability, and choice strategies offer the illusion of change while changing nothing. They mask the inequity and injustice that are now so apparent in our social order. They do ...37 comments 118 Recs
- Cracking the Codes: The System of Racial Inequity, a film by Shakti Butler The struggle against racism and racial inequities in our society is being fought on multiple ...122 comments 119 Recs
- After taking a job as Bridgeport, CT's school superintendent, a job he wasn't qualified to hold , greasing the Chairman of Bridgeport's Board of Education's palm with a $1,000,000 ...12 comments 63 Recs
- Today is the 84th birthday of the Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr. When he and other civil-rights leaders fought for equal schooling in the decades after World War 2, they never would have imagined the ...1 comments 4 Recs
- I'm home from a holiday visit with family members who were gathered in Philly, where I shared the joy my cousins have found. They have adopted a young boy out of foster care. He is three, going on ...356 comments 273 Recs
- crossposted from Blue Virginia I oppose putting more guns into schools A policeman with a sidearm will be no match for someone with the AR-15 Bushmaster shown above. I do not want to ...103 comments 205 Recs
- no rights are absolute. At some points the Constitution makes that clear - in the 5th (and 14th) Amendment you can be denied the most basic rights of life and liberty via due process of law. ...30 comments 76 Recs
- The so-called "Parent Trigger" is an American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC) template law written primarily by right-wingers Bill Lucia of EdVoice and Ben Austin of Green Dot School Corporation.1 comments 5 Recs
- Women of Color and the Reproductive Rights Movement, Jennifer Nelson, NYU Press One of the major problems with what we call "the second wave women's movement" was its inability to connect with ...101 comments 98 Recs
- Originally posted at Great Schools for America While I don't support Teach for America, I do support a professional teacher in every ...13 comments 9 Recs