Posting History for xulon
|Jesus and Righteous Anger
Disclaimer: I do not have that much finger on the pulse of Christianity. I am aware of the things I am exposed to and, frankly, if I don’t like what I’m exposed to I take steps to lessen that ...
|It's Father's Day, I Get to be Right
My daughter is working today so Friday she came up with my other daughter for Fathers Day. After dinner, we went to the Half Price Bookstore because she needed one more book for her school’s ...
|Stealing from Employees is NOT Innovation
I occasionally write 'Brothers and Sisters" letters to my co-workers. This one was occasioned by a letter sent to the employees of my company, YRC Freight by the President/CEO, Mr James Welch. The ...
|The 1964 Rochester Race Riots
In 1964, there were race riots in Rochester, New York. At the time, I was a couple of months shy of my 11th birthday. It was big stuff. I remember the Rochester Times Union (the evening paper) - or ...
|I commented on another diary
But it is off the front page now.
|The Adjustment Continues
I have written a couple of times about what I see as a shift in business relationship with labor. While it can be correctly argued that these ideas have been around for a long time – in fact they ...
So here I am dealing with what passes for customer service in 21st century America. Customer service is an expense, you know. I get someone who barely speaks English who gets defensive and scolds me ...
|My So-Called Christian Life, Part 2
In a previous diary , I gave a personal history of my Christian experience. I chose my title from the name of a TV show of which title I was aware but the show itself I had never seen. Some of the ...
|I Would Like to Suggest a Change in Terminology
There is a popular word which it seems to me doesn’t quite cover it. In the debate over immigration, some people have made some very extreme statements which have moved these statements into ...
|If I Tweeted I'd Say
I saw a car sticker, (Name) 1980-2005 Semper Fi , and I thought "Somewhere, Bush is only regretting not privatizing Social Security and Cheney is wiping his not-yet-sated mouth saying 'I've done ...
|You're the One I'm Talking to, Right?
Tax season and here I am in the office preparing people’s tax returns. Of course, every season brings new things. This year, supposedly because of that late “fiscal cliff” legislation, several ...
|At The El Jalepeno
Shopping today, I got pretty hungry and went to a Mexican Restaurant. I try to avoid chain restaurants and go to local places. This one opened not too far from my house about 5 years ago and I’ve ...
|My So-Called Christian Life
A comment on a previous post got me thinking. “Can we reference Christians less broadly?”, he wrote. He’s right. We should. And yet, there is a relentless parade of right-wing “Christian ...
|An Observation on Christian Public Discourse
I’m reading False Presence of the Kingdom by Jacques Ellul , written in 1963. In the chapter called Incompetence and Irresponsibility (p. 154) he writes, In this day and age, it would never occur ...
Yesterday, there was some kinda big-wig meeting for the company in town, with the President, VPs, and other important folk. After their meeting, they came down to the facility and did some walking ...
|Ohio Means Corporate Welfare
I read that Ohio Governor, John Kasich was gloating that the Ohio Jobs website, Ohiomeansjobs.com has over 80,000 jobs listed on it. Of course, he let us know that President Obama had nothing to do ...
Mary was talking about her hair. Mary: Old women shouldn't have long hair. Maybe I'll get a SHE-no. Me: A what? Mary: Well, how would you pronounce it? Me: Pronounce what? Mary: C-H-I-G-N-O-N Me: ...
|Appeal in Ethical Choices
This is reaching back. I was reminded of another article I had written by one of the comments on my article concerning Imago Dei . In the interactions which followed, Atana wrote, Since Marx it has ...
|Capitalism and the Attack on the Imago Dei
This diary was originally written about ten months ago. It is written from a quite specific and often lonely perspective, that of a Christian who is theologically conservative and who is also ...
|It’s a Matter of Value
At the place I work, I have occasionally written letters to my co-workers which I lay out in the break room. I’m not sure how popular or welcomed they are, but writing them seems to me to be a ...
I had an interesting discussion on another board concerning Unions. I tried to piece it together into a cohesive article. I have a couple of observations before getting into it. My current position ...
|Eye of the Beholder
Years ago, I used to play Chess in tournaments, usually not doing that well but having fun. I still have over 200 books on the game. My daughter, picking up on that, always wanted to play Chess. At ...
Driving to work, I saw the flock of geese flying. They were in front of me, so I could not only see their V formation but their beating wings - pretty much in unison, strongly pushing down and ...
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from this blog?
Set the sticky flag for this diary in the slide rotation:
Set the maximum number of slides to display in the feature:
Recommended by xulon
- (cross-posted from The Ones You Didn't Hear in Sunday School ) In the middle of his novel, Claudius the God , the sequel to I, Claudius , writer Robert Graves interrupts his narrative about the ...28 comments 58 Recs
- (Cross-posted from The Ones You Didn't Hear in Sunday School ) If, like me, you are a child of the ‘70s, you might recall an athletic form of exhibitionism from that era called Streaking. It was ...34 comments 36 Recs
- I came across a quote by G.K. Chesterton recently that I think has some bearing on the latest fad for "Religious Freedom" Laws giving businesses the right to discriminate -- sorry, to Uphold Their ...30 comments 34 Recs
- Darren Wilson killed Michael Brown on August 9, 2014. In response, the black citizens of Ferguson marched and protested against what they knew to be one of many instances where the lives of African-...133 comments 56 Recs
- (Cross-posted from The Ones You Didn't Hear in Sunday School ) The Book of Genesis can be regarded as one long genealogy with narrative interruptions. True, the stories take up the bulk of the book,98 comments 61 Recs
- Nothing better on a Sunday morning as you await the zombie parade to begin on the weekly You-Say-Your-Talking-Points-And-Then-I'll-Say-Mine shows that pass for political discourse on the Tee-Vee ...20 comments 27 Recs
- According to the nonpartisan Public Religion Research Institute and their American Values Atlas report released last month, there is a significant rise in America of those who say they are ...64 comments 88 Recs
- A short bus trip to the supermarket turned out to include a spiritual experience. No sooner did I get on the bus than someone directly behind me began coughing and hacking and it seemed as if he ...245 comments 289 Recs
- We all know that Wisconsin's new "Right-2-Work" law is bad for Unions. Even the law's supporters admit that. As far as they're concerned, this is a feature, not a bug. But its proponents are so ...17 comments 12 Recs
- When was the last time you heard a specific indictment of the failures of modern Conservatism? Not on a liberal blog. Nor in a progressive magazine. But bluntly before low-information America. A ...164 comments 263 Recs
- No current results.
- No current results.