Mother Jones magazine reported that police actions triggered the riot.
The latest reality-show adventure flick is Putler vs. the West. In this thriller, which will keep you gripping the edge of your seat, Hitler has been re-incarnated as Vladimir Putin. He has seized Crimea in an Anschluss eerily similar to the annexation of Austria. Now he is raging through Eastern Ukraine as the West wrings its hands, almost exactly as happened to Czechoslovakia. Will the West intervene before he conquers the world? For the price of just one pizza a week, we could save civilization from this brutish conqueror.
This is what you might believe if you were Ivo Daalder, Michele Fluornoy, Strobe Talbott, and the other authors of the latest report urging American involvement in Ukraine. And you would be dead wrong.
Fordham Law Professor Zephyr Teachout and anthropologist and Public Policy Professor Janine Wedel present a powerful case that fighting corruption is the fundamental organizing principle of progressive politics and the only remedy to what ails this country.
Many Internet security types think North Korea didn't hack Sony, and that black hats are responsible. The U.S. should abandon hacking other countries in favor of securing the Internet.
Jon Swaine of The Guardian has begun to ask questions about the official narrative of the Michael Brown shooting in the systematic manner that we should have been using all along.
Henry Kissinger, that notorious Russian commie sympathizer, says that the West in effect caused the crisis in Ukraine (not, of course, that it's OK for Russia to have, in response, intervened in Ukraine) because it failed to understand Russian strategic interests.
He also has some smart things to say about Syria.
German intelligence has concluded that pro-Russian separatists, not Russia, in what Der Spiegel terms an accident, shot down Flight MH-17, using a missile battery they captured from the Ukrainian Army. So, all ranting that the Russians were murderers, is, well, inoperative. What we have as a consequence is a serious defeat of American foreign policy and a renewal of Cold War rivalry, with Russia for the time being holding the upper hand.
A recent documentary by Deutsche Welle illustrates a new trend in international extremism. Other events suggest that this may represent a rising wave of violence and intolerance.
In which Jay Sekulow and Pat Robertson assure us that Bob McDonnell will not be convicted.
The US government says that Russia did not shoot down MH17, and that it doesn't know who did. Will this cause any of those who made virulent, personal comments against those of us who have been urging caution to change their choleric ways? I guess we'll see. But what now seems clear is that a lot less is clear than the blogosphere seems to believe.
The update includes information published in the Washington Post soon after this post was written.
Updated. Unverified information posted about the downing of MH17 over Ukraine is irresponsible. Rachel Maddow exposed tonight just how much of what we supposedly knew about this story is actually a kind of reckless gossip. It's gossip that could have consequences far more tragic than the downing of a civilian aircraft. We should resist the impulse to engage in it.
Hillary says no Star Chamber for Snowden. Germany arrests NSA spy. And the intercepts go on, with anyone who has an interest in anonymity on the web being made a person of interest.
Recommended by CharlesII
- New hashtag promoted by the Baltimore Police Union What in the world? After six Baltimore police officers were arrested on felony charges in ...126 comments 128 Recs
- This week's parsha is Aharay Mot and Kedoshim, Leviticus chapters 16 to 20. During leap years, it is split into two parshas, but this year is not a leap year so the two parshas are read together. ...18 comments 14 Recs
- It was only a two-minute drive between the police station and where Freddie Gray was arrested. Why, then, did it take 30 minutes? So many egregious ...228 comments 257 Recs
- "Don't walk away, just listen to me. Talk to me." A protester in West Baltimore confronted Geraldo Rivera last night before he went to his live shot for Fox News. He went OFF on Geraldo, asking ...261 comments 488 Recs
- Update: Good lord -- Baltimore is burning! Please let this end. There have been many great diaries today on the tragic rioting in Baltimore following the funeral of Freddie Gray. Tasini's "...350 comments 468 Recs
- (cross-posted from The Ones You Didn't Hear in Sunday School ) In the middle of his novel, Claudius the God , the sequel to I, Claudius , writer Robert Graves interrupts his narrative about the ...28 comments 58 Recs
- On elizabethwarren.com You can't read this by Elizabeth Warren, elizabethwarren.com -- April 22, 2015 Have you seen what’s in the new TPP trade deal? Most likely, you haven’t – and don’t ...99 comments 150 Recs
- Today, in the papers, it was announced that the US has sent 300 military "advisers" to Ukraine to train their army. That measure seems for all the world like it is a safe choice for President Obama --148 comments 47 Recs
- In December 2012, Richard Engel and five crew members were abducted by gunmen in Syria. A group of about 15 armed men were fanning out around us. Three or four of them stood in the middle of the ...23 comments 24 Recs
- Tucker Carlson Message to Tucker Carlson: You can relax. Your public image as a fratty douchebro is well established; you don't need to keep making the point quite so forcefully. It's a message ...63 comments 77 Recs
- No current results.