A little bit about our candidate (from Busby's website): Francine is an adjunct Professor of Women's Studies at Cal State U-San Marcos, is currently serving as the elected trustee of the Cardiff School District Board, is the Past President of the Cardiff Education Foundation where she lead the effort to raise $450,000 for Cardiff Schools to improve technology in the classroom and hire educational specialists. Francine is also the founding president of the Casa Theresa Central Guild to provide assistance to pregnant women (Busby is pro-choice). She also serves as a Board Member of Friends of the Cardiff Library, Board Member of Cardiff Soccer Club, Past President of the Parent Staff Organization of the Cardiff School District and Scout Leader of Girl Scouts.
The election to replace guilty pleading-bribe accepting-Randy Duke Cunningham's seat in the House is just two months away, it's scheduled for April 11. This is a swing district (CA-50) which presents a real opportunity to replace one conservative Republican in the House with a sensible, solid Democrat.
The Democratic candidate is Francine Busby, who last faced Dukey boy in 2004 and captured an admirable 37% of the vote (Duke received 58%)! With the obvious advantage of incumbency taken away from her new Republican opponent (Duke held this seat for years), in addition to the the American (and San Diegan) public's distaste for the recent charges of corruption embroiling the GOP, this could easily be a pickup for us. The district is just slightly more Republican than Democrat, meaning that turnout could be the deciding factor in this race! The road to a Democratic majority in the House of Representatives could begin with this election. Of course, this seat may still be an uphill battle for a member of our party, so the candidate will need all the help she can get. You can find out how to contribute or get involved with the campaign here:
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
Recommended by anthonyLA
- (I am the campaign manager for the NO on 1 campaign) A new public poll from Democracy Corps was ...149 comments 275 Recs
- After Ahmadinejad's Coup I have received reports from some friends inside of Iran, who conveniently enough I met through some soccer forums. The information lies deeper. But to begin some of what I ...936 comments 921 Recs
- This conversation about whether the Iranian vote was fixed is nonsense. Of course it was! Yes, polls in Iran are unreliable ...351 comments 389 Recs
- Wichita doctor George Tiller was murdered at church this morning. George Tiller ...809 comments 526 Recs
- Whether tomorrow's Prop 8 decision affects you directly or not*, it's likely to be a big moment for the LGBT movement, insofar as so many married and wanting-to-right-to-be-married couples are ...356 comments 251 Recs
- New York Times is reporting : SAN FRANCISCO — California officials will investigate ...369 comments 438 Recs
- I have seen a bunch of comments and some diaries here today criticizing our new Attorney General, Eric Holder, on the grounds that he spent some time at [Covington & Burling, http://www.cov.com/,] ...959 comments 1028 Recs
- ...so says House Ag Committee Chair Collin Peterson. So, tell me, WHY is his name ...645 comments 860 Recs
- So who would be about the worst person the Obama administration could be talking to about heading the U.S. Department of Agriculture? Besides the CEO of Monsanto? How about PA Secretary of ...403 comments 505 Recs
- Unlike the marriage ban amendments in other states, which for the most part have survived legal challenge (for now), California's Proposition 8 has a very good chance of being overturned by the ...128 comments 26 Recs
- No current results.
- No current results.