Currently, wage earners pay a Medicare tax of 1.45%, which is automatically taken out of their paychecks. Employers pay a matching 1.45% rate. Those taxes won't change.That means that couples filing jointly who make more than $250,000 combined will have to pay that additional 0.9 percent, because it won't be automatically withheld. Other new fees/taxes kicking in are a new tax deduction cap of $2,500 on flexible spending accounts, and for medical-device manufacturers, a 2.3 percent tax on products. All this is in preparation for 2014, when the health insurance exchanges are open for business and subsidies begin.
But come Jan. 1, individuals earning more than $200,000 in wages and married couples with wages of more than $250,000 will pay an additional payroll tax of 0.9% for Medicare on income that exceeds those amounts.
Employers will be able to deduct the extra 0.9% tax for individual employees on the portion of income that exceeds $200,000, but they won't be allowed to withhold additional payroll taxes to account for a combined income.
With or without going over the fiscal
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
mwm341, Liberal Thinking, eeff, nicki37, qofdisks, Cronesense, flumptytail, NewDealer, Gemina13, LinSea, gramofsam1, ban nock, createpeace, This old man, remembrance, Gardener in PA
Diary Recommended By
Recommended by Joan McCarter
- I am sad, but also excited, to announce that after 11 years I am leaving Daily Kos and joining Raintank , where I will be working on monitoring software and doing devsy-opsy. It's been a long and ...112 comments 266 Recs
- Obamacare is such a failure, it can't even kill the jobs Republicans said it would!64 comments 137 Recs
- In Paraguay, a 10 year old girl was being raped by her step-father. Her mother reported the abuse to authorities but was ignored. The child's stomach began to swell and the mother, thinking ...24 comments 49 Recs
- Wow, Mitt Romney. Just wow. At a time when even many Republicans are pretending to care about ...74 comments 67 Recs
- On Saturday at 8 AM PT, the tech team will be moving Daily Kos from its current web host to Amazon's Web Services. We'll be taking the site down for an estimated one to three hours while we move our ...130 comments 133 Recs
- A daily series, Connect! Unite! Act! seeks to create face-to-face networks in each congressional district. Groups ...135 comments 58 Recs
- Nancy Pelosi's San Francisco chief of staff Dan Bernal meets with Daily Kos, CREDO Action, Sum of Us, Electronic Frontier Foundation & Corporate Accountability ...14 comments 60 Recs
- Ho. Lee. Crap. Check out this press release from Florida Governor and Lord Voldemort impersonator Rick Scott:35 comments 51 Recs
- In a move which stunned many Court observers—certainly including me—the ...58 comments 62 Recs
- Johno Espejo (left) and Matthew Mansell, a plaintiff couple in the marriage equality case, being interviewed outside the Supreme Court.52 comments 73 Recs
Joan McCarter's Tags
- No current results.
Joan McCarter's Blogroll
- No current results.