I love it when the Muse drops a TC topic in my lap when I least expect it. Follow me below the
dingledoodle squigglie dKosagnocchi dividerthingie fold after a word from our sponsor, and be glad the Muse wasn't into meta tonight...
Here at Top Comments we strive to nourish community by rounding up some of the site's best, funniest, most mojo'd & most informative commentary, and we depend on your help!! If you see a comment by another Kossack that deserves wider recognition, please send it either to topcomments at gmail or to the Top Comments group mailbox by 9:30pm Eastern. Please please please include a few words about why you sent it in as well as your user name (even if you think we know it already :-)), so we can credit you with the find!
A Republican friend of mine ... no, the diary is not about having Republican friends. Just accept that he's not a raving racist homophobic lunatic, but rather a guy blinded by too much Kool-Aid into thinking the Republican party represents him, and we'll continue ... posted a link to a piece of conservative talking points dreck on Just How Great Texas Is and Oh Yeah Eff You Too Obama. I went looking and sure enough, it's from Fox "News"; specifically, "Fox Nation". I notice they've got the following above where you sign up to be added to the mailing list:
ALL OPINIONS WELCOMEThere's also a link to the longer "Our Purpose" page, but hold that thought until the end. Instead, let that all sink in a while. My apologies if you were drinking anything while reading and had to clean your monitor and keyboard.
The Fox Nation is for those opposed to intolerance, excessive government control of our lives, and attempts to monopolize opinion or suppress freedom of thought, expression, and worship.
We invite all Americans who share these values to join us here at Fox Nation
I don't even really know where to begin, the cognitive dissonance hurts so much. Let's make a list:
* They're against intolerance. I suppose the comments over the years disrespecting non-whites, non-men, non-citizens, non-heterosexuals, non-Christians, and non-just about everything else were isolated incidents.
* They're against excessive government intrusion into my life. So that means I can expect them to agree with me that government needs to get out of my uterus, my bedroom and my Internet?
* They don't want to monopolize opinion or suppress freedom of thought? Odd, I thought their "news" people and talk show hosts employed liberal (heh, get it? :-)) use of the MUTE and END CALL buttons on anyone who disagreed suggested the opposite. As does the rampant use of talking points instead of actual, you know, discussion. Where freedom of thought is present.
* I could talk about suppression of expression, but... really. We know better. Besides, I do that and some fully automatic drum-ammo'ed member of the Nation is gonna come express himself in ways I'd rather not invite. Hrmm, that sounded bad, didn't it?
* They don't want to suppress freedom of worship? Or do they really mean they don't want to suppress THEIR flavor of worship? Because I sure as hell thought Fox was rather actively fanning the anti-Muslim fires, and they sure as f-ck don't like my pagan-tinged, atheistabuddhismflavored Unitarian Universalist services any better.
Is it possible that the members of Fox Nation are just so damned willfully blind because the cognitive dissonance is eating their brains more effectively than any zombie apocalypse ever could?
Discuss amongst ourselves, with guaranteed freedom of thought, expression and whatever worship you'd like to include, if any. Floor's open, and may the snark be with you :).
7:22 PM PT: Geez, I said I'd get back to the longer "Our Purpose" piece... where they say they espouse "strengthening our diverse society by striving for unity." Anyone else see an inherent issue with that statement?
Brillig's ObDisclaimer: The decision to publish each nomination lies with the evening's Diarist and/or Comment Formatter. My evenings at the helm, I try reeeeallllyy hard to publish everything without regard to content. I really do, even when I disagree personally with any given nomination. "TopCommentness" lies in the eyes of the nominator and of you, the reader - I leave the decision to you. I do not publish self-nominations (ie your own comments) and if I ruled the world, we'd all build community, supporting and uplifting instead of tearing our fellow Kossacks down.
From Dave in Northridge:Horace Boothroyd III serves up a pitch and jpmassar hits it out of the park in jp massar's diary about the injunction slapped on the NYC stop and frisk law.
From BentLiberal:I'm nominating elwior's funnycomment about the $1,000,000,000,000 (trillion dollar) coin! (hat tip to Jim P)
From Yours Truly, brillig:Note: The following were submitted after the diary published last nite. In general we suggest nominated comments have been made between the cutoff for the previous night's TC and tonight's, but it is up to the diarist du jour to decide whether it will be included. I'm easy, in general :)Great comment from citisven on global warming coverage, in Meteor Blades' Surprise! Yet another year of sucky global warming 'coverage' from the broadcast news programs.
blue aardvark's gem gets my nom, mostly but not solely for the subject line. Yeah, I'm in that kind of mood :).
From GreyHawk:lineatus had this insightful comment in the diary Wendy's Cuts Employee Hours To Evade ObamaCare; Asking To Lose Business? by james321.
From dorkenergy:This comment by hestal speaks for itself. Plus, Donner's elaboration too.
Top Mojo for yesterday, January 7th, first comments and tip jars excluded. Thank you mik for the mojo magic!
1) I hate it when I have to boycott by Radiowalla — 141
2) Reagan. by Gooserock — 137
3) it's sad for them by anna shane — 121
4) this is America by anna shane — 112
5) We should act as if it isn't too late, by One Pissed Off Liberal — 108
6) I enjoy the insane ramblings by TomP — 102
7) No -- I am saying take these fuckers out. by 8ackgr0und N015e — 98
8) My niece died six years ago at the age of 22. by marleycat — 91
9) (((gofigure))) by arizonablue — 84
10) All I Know Is... by stevemb — 83
11) Maybe you could tell a story or two by Chinton — 77
12) "The first Gay President": by commonmass — 76
13) Good! by jayjaybear — 75
14) I can imagine! by Dave in Northridge — 72
15) they're funny by terrypinder — 72
16) They did get played by Steveningen — 72
17) There is no silver bullet here. by 8ackgr0und N015e — 68
18) Inky: 1994 (est) - 2013 by AAbshier — 67
19) Precisely. Now is not the right time... by Meteor Blades — 67
20) Heart hugs to you & yours, gofigure. Heart hugs. by worldlotus — 64
21) I have to believe their agenda is "$$" by Shahryar — 62
22) It is refreshing by Steveningen — 61
23) Please, tell us about Kelly. by Melanie in IA — 61
24) Believe it. by Scott Wooledge — 61
25) You blithely ignore what follows your bold text by 8ackgr0und N015e — 60
26) I think it's a mixture of both by Steveningen — 60
27) you can sort of tell by anna shane — 60
28) repealing the tiahrt amendment by Cedwyn — 59
29) You're a great guy, Dave, and we're very lucky by blueoasis — 59
30) It really never ends, does it? by sfbob — 59
31) Oh yes. I have heard this from others who have by peregrine kate — 59
32) Here's a spelling test for you: by commonmass — 59
Top Pictures for yesterday, January 7th. Click any image to be taken to the full comment. Thank you jotter for the image magic!