While the Inauguration of Barack Obama was in full swing, the Republicans of the Virginia State Senate were pulling a fast one on the citizens of the entire Commonwealth. They took this occasion, and with the absence of Democratic senator Henry Marsh, to eliminate the district held by Democratic senator Creigh Deeds and weaken the districts of John Edwards, George Barker, Chuck Colgan and John Miller. The absence of Marsh, who was attending the Inauguration, was particularly key, as the State Senate is currently split 20-20. If these changes do pass the House of Delegates, which is almost guaranteed, they will take effect for the 2015 elections.
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
Chi, BlackSheep1, Cedwyn, oortdust, subtropolis, myboo, twigg, jlms qkw, Hopeful Monster, petral, Amber6541, Polly Syllabic, anyname, marleycat, smoothnmellow, zenox, absdoggy, jan4insight
Diary Recommended By
Recommended by benuski
- ThinkProgress is reporting the following: While the eyes of the nation were turned toward President Barack Obama’s second inauguration on Monday, the Virginia State Senate managed to hurriedly ...79 comments 144 Recs
- I know I've written a great deal on Appalachia and stereotypes and some of you may be getting tired of it. But I will keep writing as long as I keep coming across gems like this: ...34 comments 38 Recs
- April 13, 2009 The following is Governor Kathleen Sebelius’ veto statement on HB 2014: “Last year, I vetoed legislation that forced the Secretary of the Kansas ...18 comments 50 Recs
- I hope this hasn't been diaried but CNN had some wrong results and Gordon Smith's lead over Jeff Merkely is down to 6,000 votes!34 comments 15 Recs
- October 22, 1995, I received a phone call telling me that my daughter had just tried to hang herself for being gay. It was a Sunday evening at twilight in Texas. My daughter was at an all girls ...383 comments 984 Recs
- No current results.